online security

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

online security

Postby bobbet43 on Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:50 pm

do we anyone here that has knowledge of how online security works? please pm me, i have a few questions
bobbet43

Re: online security

Postby Darb on Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:42 pm

Hi Bob,

You need to be a little more specific. I've done various aspects of security professionally for a long time. It's a pretty broad topic though.

-Brad
Darb

Postby bobbet43 on Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:12 pm

its for debit and credit cards, esp security when used at stores
bobbet43

Postby Darb on Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:37 pm

If you go to a secured site you will see the little paddlock in the corner of your browser... That means your communications are encrypted between your browser and the server. (double click the paddlock for some interesting info.) So no one can sniff your traffic for valuables while it passes through the various providers of bandwidth. This doesn't secure everything, just the traffic. You could still have spyware on your machine that can grab the data before it's encrypted. But the traffic would be extremely difficult to make into anything useful.

Here is more than you ever wanted to know on the topic. Feel free to ask for clarification on the particulars. I've been fighting this battle for a decade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_Layer_Security

-Brad
Darb

Postby bobbet43 on Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:22 pm

cool, but what about when you buy at, say a kwiktrip or other local store. the reason i'm asking is that my card# has been stolen. the bank caught the unusual charges and but a restriction on the account the day before i noticed, can't beat online statements that are updated daily. needless to say the account has been closed. fortunately is was a fairly new account and has only been used about a dozen times so notifying the few places was fairly simple. its pays to watch your accounts and have limits as to what can be charged
bobbet43

Return to Club Lounge