The way not to do a Electrical Service Upgrade

Postby tim on Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:49 pm

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthrea ... st11690035

And it says he is Occupation: Instrumentation and Control (Electrical) Engineer

This is scarry :-k :-k
tim

Re: The way not to do a Electrical Service Upgrade

Postby OceanNwisconsin on Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:52 am

ive seen worse.. but im with you on getting it fixed asap.. at least whoever did that used wire nuts and not just electrical tape.. like ive noticed on alot of my outlet and light boxes... i think i got them all fixed now,... :? :? :?
my fish drink better then i do!

OceanNwisconsin

Postby SPARKY on Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:07 am

There are so many things wrong in that pitcure!! =D> Love the 6 tandom breakers! I wonder what his total amp draw is. Most of those old services were a 60 amp and a fuse box with maybe 4-6 15-20 amp fuses most people rigged them with a 30 amp fuses Problem solved!! No more hassle with replacing blown 15-20 amp fuses! :D along with a range and dryer, I have a collection of pictures from house and commercial building of shotty and danger workmanship from the "do it your selfers" and electricians. Just beacuse it works doesn't mean it's right ! I'ts amazing more buildings don't have electrical fires,
SPARKY

Postby tim on Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:18 pm

And he seems perfectly content on leaving it this way. I guess am much as I like the fire department I dont want to see them at my house. And what would of it cost him to do it right in the first place?
tim

Postby Toddah on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:31 pm

one of the problems with the building codes is the fact they make it so hard to get a permit if you do not have a copy of the code book and know it well. On the surface this seems logical but in the real world it turn into many people doing "things" themselves. Doing industrial Electrical Engineering for 21 years gave me lots of insite to what works and what is allowed by code and also the knowledge to be scared to death of things I see in peoples houses.
When you drive people underground without a permit then you allow anything to be done because there is NO INSPECTION at all. if homeowners were allowed to do the work with guidelines as to what was the acceptable way to do it then it could be inspected and things like that picture would not be allowed to happen.
One of the things we get with local government operating on a shostring budget is a lack of manpower to do inspection and that leads to them not wanting to have to deal with homeowners trying to learn wiring skills. but in the long run the wiring happens anyway but it is just done under the table and never inspected.
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Return to Club Lounge