Any landscapers out there?

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

Any landscapers out there?

Postby spbreeder on Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:42 am

I am building a waterfall/stream in the back yard and have a couple of questions. First would it be OK to use liner in the stream then cement over the liner and put the river rocks into the cement (kind of like mortar so the kids can't pick them up) or would the cement crack in the winter? Also, how does one pick up the larger rocks? Is it better to use flexible pipes or PVC to run outdoor plumbing? I guess that is all for now.
Denise
spbreeder

Postby spbreeder on Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:30 am

Nobody? OK, another question to simplify. Will cement poured shallow (2 inches or so) crack in the winter?
Denise
spbreeder

Postby Guest on Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:41 am

I think the answer is...it depends. How big of an area are you looking to cover? The bigger the area and the thinner the slab, the better the chance for frost heave and cracking. What are you hoping the concrete will do that the liner won't?

Given the fact that this concrete will be in close contact with water, I'd guess that it would crack.

As far as moving large, heavy objects - check out Family Home Handyman magazine. The last months issue had an article for moving heavy objects during landscaping projects. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll get you my copy. (and, NO...I'm not that handy!) :)

Good luck!
Steve

Postby mfd78 on Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:46 am

Oops...I wasn't logged in! :oops:

After rereading your question, I'm guessing you want to leave the liner intact and just use concrete to mortar the rocks together? I don't think that would be a problem...just really permanent! I can ask a concrete guy I work with and see what he thinks also...

Steve
mfd78

Postby spbreeder on Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:38 pm

Thanks. Yes, that is what I was thinking, it would be nice if the kiddos couldn't pick up the rocks. Over time I fear they would eventually all end up all over and not in the stream. Maybe there is something else I could use to kind of mortar the rocks in over the liner so they can't be removed. Thanks for your input.
Denise
spbreeder

Postby bobbet43 on Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:20 pm

you can use construction adhesive to lock the rocks together. will hold them in place but also be able to break them apart in the future in case you decide to relocate a couple of them. the only draw back is you have to wait a couple of monthes before you add water so you don't get all the chemicals in the water
bobbet43

Return to Club Lounge