Cool Idea for a "New" Kind of Pet Store?

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

Cool Idea for a "New" Kind of Pet Store?

Postby nasanek on Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:32 pm

all right, so I was fantasizing about winning the lottery someday and retiring (mind you I'm only 26). I would think with my nice little nest egg I would open a pet store since I've always loved keeping pets and it would be a good way to pass the time. I thought of a cool idea to build strong relationships with local reefkeepers and keep livestock prices accesible to everyone.

Here's my idea; instead of having tons of livestock tanks stocked with shipments that I order from vendors, I would contract out tanks, or portions of tanks for local reefkeepers to bring in their corals/fish/inverts that they want to sell. I would probably charge like a monthly rental fee (like a lease I guess) that would vary based on size occupied and perhaps what kind of tank (MH lit tank vs. CF tank for example). I would also get some portion (like 5%-10%) of each sale. The reefkeeper would set their own prices on what they bring. My store would allow local reefkeepers to have a real store to move thier merchandise. And the local reefkeepers would help me to keep prices much lower so everyone could make more money (in theory). I would of coarse order livestock too to always have regulars in stock, but I really think having locals contribute significantly would make the store much more diverse, interesting, and exciting.

I don't know if this has ever been tried before. Is it too crazy to work?
Life is a comedy for those who think... and a tragedy for those who feel.
~Horace Walpole
nasanek

Re: Cool Idea for a "New" Kind of Pet Store?

Postby ratchet on Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:26 pm

When I lived in Florida there was a store that took consignments. The cost was very reasonable ( $5 or 10% which ever was greater ). There was a 5 per month limit on frags, so that would leave cunareefer and meisen out of luck.
ratchet

Postby CUNAReefer on Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:10 pm

Thats funny, I thought of the same idea. Almost like an ebay for reefers. One drawback that I thought of would be the possibilities diseases brought in by the different frags. Also, if you house frags that wont sell(whether from quality or price), your still paying a cost to house those frags. In some cases, the housing fee will not cover the cost to maintain your operations for that part of the tank that you are renting out. Isn't operations finance fun.
Dont hate the player, hate the game...
CUNAReefer

Postby nasanek on Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:58 pm

wow, complicated. well, at least it has been tried before with some level of success. that helps me keep the dream alive...
Life is a comedy for those who think... and a tragedy for those who feel.
~Horace Walpole
nasanek

Postby CUNAReefer on Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:22 pm

Oh by all means, please do try. Operations management can be the key to keeping a profitable and successful business. Just be sure to do the math so you can keep the frags coming and going to generate the rental/sales fees.
Dont hate the player, hate the game...
CUNAReefer

Postby OceanNwisconsin on Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:24 pm

brilliant i telll you brilliant.... consignment pet store!!
my fish drink better then i do!

OceanNwisconsin

Return to Club Lounge