Fisherman - Minnow Kill Emergency Law

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

Fisherman - Minnow Kill Emergency Law

Postby Ereefic on Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:38 am

Wow, I think there needs to be stricter drug testing laws at the Department of Natural Resources!

This 'emergency law' now requires us to kill our minnows before leaving a lake or shorline. I don't know about you, but I like to use my left over minnow, that I pay'd for, to fish again the next day. If I carry my minnow bucket to the bank, and even though I don't dump water out, add new water or soak my minnows in the river, I have to kill my minnows before driving away in an effort to stop the spread of the VHS virus. Oh, and it can come with a hefty fine of $300. :shock: I'd like to see little Bobby explain that one to his parents!

Yet, boats are jumping from lake to lake, transferring water from there livewell, boat trailers, etc. and that's OK? Umm, ok, crack party and the DNR!

Lawmakers have recently shot down the DNR's proposal to make this 'law', but it ain't over yet. They are still trying to hammer this out, and it scares the crap out of me. If you fish, you should be concerned.

I stopped at the DNR office the other day and asked the lady working there if this was some kind of joke, and she replied 'unfortunately, no'. She didn't actually sound convinced that this was a good idea. IT'S NOT! Duh!

When I asked here if I could send them a bill at the end of the year for reimbursment of all the money I will have wasted killing minnows needlessly, she laughed and said 'no'. :lol:

Innocent until proven guilty, not anymore!
Ereefic
Site Admin

Re: Fisherman - Minnow Kill Emergency Law

Postby Falcon57 on Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:07 pm

Don't you love our bureaucrats? They are here to help us!

Pardon me while I snicker. #-o
Enjoying marine reef keeping without going broke.
http://www.infowars.com/
Falcon57

Postby keyhole on Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:18 pm

I think the DRN should require all boats to be scuttled at the end of everyday of use. That will stop the transport of invasives and it will help the economy =D>

I should work for the DRN :shock:
keyhole

Postby Fishcrazy06 on Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:42 pm

There is a saying in other states about our DNR. If you want someone to screw something up in the outdoors just go to the Wisconsin DNR!!!!

Eric
Fishcrazy06

Postby Marcus on Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:24 pm

I really think that this is a total bs proposition and hopefully it won't pass. A workaround though is if you left all the bait you don't think you will use on the shore, then go back and get more if you need it later. I happen to work with several DNR employees, although I am not one of them, and they think this is a really stupid idea as well. The WI DNR does have some good programs and often has very good reasons for doing even the not so popular stuff. The big problem is that many of the guys with their feet on the ground and know what they are doing and what is really going on, aren't the ones making the policies.
Marcus

Postby BillWeimer on Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:22 pm

Marcus wrote:The big problem is that many of the guys with their feet on the ground and know what they are doing and what is really going on, aren't the ones making the policies.

Exactly. My dad has a nickname for the DNR that has stuck with me through the years, and I'm sure many of you also refer to the DNR as the Department of No Results. I remember a time when I was in 3rd or 4th grade, and my dad took me out Turkey hunting... I think. Walking through the woods, we get into a lovely pine plantation, and I remember asking him why the DNR didn't plant oaks or maples to fill the land. As... beautiful... as they are, they definitely don't sustain the wildlife, especially the native wildlife, that a mature hardwood forest will. Completely different game when it comes to wildflowers, birds, small mammals, reptiles, and amphibians.
BillWeimer

Postby Ereefic on Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:48 am

Marcus wrote: A workaround though is if you left all the bait you don't think you will use on the shore, then go back and get more if you need it later.

This is what the lady at the DNR office suggested as well. Only one problem I see and that is if the DNR pull up as your leaving, they have no way of knowing that you left them in your vehicle and were actually doing the right thing. Just seems like a lose/lose either way you look at it.
Ereefic
Site Admin

Return to Club Lounge