HELP..MY FISH RESCUE BUSINESS IS IN DANGER

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

HELP..MY FISH RESCUE BUSINESS IS IN DANGER

Postby Kelly68 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:05 am

My fish rescue business is in danger. Can you help?

Hi, my name is Kelly Rector and I am the owner and founder of Finned Friends LLC. I am a member of a lot of different sites, TheBubbler.com, WisconsinCichlidForum, MonsterFishKeepers, Midwest Cichlid Association. Most of these has let me put this on their site as they do know me and know this is not a scam. I am also the treasurer and secretary of CWAS...Central Wisconsin Aquarium Society..which they also have a story on the front page of their site.

Last year, I finally started my dream job. I opened an aquatic rescue and angelfish breeding business. I thought I had done my homework, and hired all of the appropriate contractors. Unfortunately I was wrong. The person who installed my heating and cooling system, which heats my tanks and runs all of the air to my aquariums, completely scammed me. Because of this, my utility bills have tripled, and I am in danger of losing everything. If the utility company shuts me off, I will lose all 12,000 of my fish. This is only a small portion of my story. For the complete story and information about my business, please visit http://www.finnedfriends.com. There you will find the information regarding this story. Can you please help me salvage my dreams?

Thank you,
Kelly Rector, Owner, Finned Friends LLC.
Kelly68

Re: HELP..MY FISH RESCUE BUSINESS IS IN DANGER

Postby BraenDead on Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:14 pm

Stickied the message in here...

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Cow086 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:57 pm

sounds like tims your man
Cow086

Postby Kelly68 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:07 pm

Thanks, we have been pm'ing and he has been very nice and helpful. :)
Kelly68

Postby Kelly68 on Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:31 pm

It has been a few days since I posted anything. Everything is about the same. 6 days left and counting with only a miracle that will solve it . I am on my knees at this point and it just don't look like any sort of help will come my way.

I got two furnace guys working with getting permission from the company to try and resolve this for me. It is up to the company as they can't touch it without voiding my warrantee. fingers crossed.

As for the lights, it looks like in 6 days I am done. I have done everything in my power to save this. Between myself and other sites working night and day sending out emails, people just don't respond. They believe it is because it is "fish" and people don't respond to that like cats or dogs. They think fish are more of a commodity then a pet. That makes me so sad.

I did have others write to the local news crew and I did give two interviews. Not by choice, but at this point I really don't have any other choices. One was out in the paper today. He wanted to write about the problems Finned Friends is having. Here is a link to that story:

http://www.merrillfotonews.com/SiteImag ... s/5232.pdf

I hope you will be able to read it.

The second story is a Business Spotlight more upbeat story. This guy did not feel compfortable getting into all the negative as his column is an upbeat column. That will come out in Friday's addition of the Wausau Daily Herald.

I am not sure what to do anymore. All I see is 24000 eyes looking at me, depending on me. This just breaks me heart.

Thanks

Kelly
Kelly68

Postby Kelly68 on Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:33 pm

BTW, check out all the kind words and pictures I was asked to post on this site. They have been extremely helpful great people. Out of all the work they have done and I have done....FinnedFriends has only received 2 $10 donations so far. I am very grateful for any and all help.

http://www.thebubbler.com/forums/depart ... -help.html
Kelly68

Postby Kelly68 on Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:59 am

Somebody kind on this site sent me a donation today. Even though you received a personal email, I still want to say thanks for the help directly on here. It means so much.

I am up to 5 donations now. This is so overwhelming. I am so grateful to so many nice people through out this whole mess.

Kelly
Kelly68

Postby Rueg on Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:12 pm

Are donations tax deductible?
Rueg

Postby Kelly68 on Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:30 pm

Man, I am not exactly sure. I am a non profit as the rescue I provide there is a no charge for rescuing. I take a major loss at every fish I rescue. I have not received yet my 501c3 from the IRS. It got complicated with the angelfish part. See my goal was, due to all the problems others rescues have that rely solely on donations from the public to stay afloat and it is hard for them to do this and even break even...that is why I started with the angelfish so that can be my own donation to keep my rescue alive. That way I didn't have to rely on any help from outsiders when there is so much need out there now. I hope you can understand what I am saying. Non profits are tax exempt. That is one main reason why people file a 501c3. That and they will be holding fundraisers and stuff all year to keep their rescue afloat. I am trying to do that myself with the angels.
Kelly68

Postby middleton5 on Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:25 am

It is easy to donate to Kelly. She has a paypal set up on her web site. If everyone just sent her a few dollars, I am sure it would help.

Good luck Kelly.
middleton5

Postby Kelly68 on Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:14 pm

Thanks Middleton5 for the donation again and the kind words. Because of you guys and an individual from another fish site for the links to the other wonderful sites donations for Finned Friends went up to 12. Not yet enough to reach what is needed, but I am very grateful that everyone feels what I am trying to do is worth while and cares. Everyone on the fish sites have been so kind so I can't thank everyone enough. As a matter of fact, in the last two days, I got two more calls for rescues. I just hope I can make it through this to keep this rescue going.

One of the phone calls was from someone who bought two small Pacu's about three months ago she said and they are already enormous. She said she went back to the Petstore she bought them from and asked them, they told her they get huge and good luck. Nice info to know she told them when she bought them. See why I do what I do? It is not the fishs' fault for someone out to make a sale. That makes me so angry.
Kelly68

Postby Kelly68 on Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:13 pm

Again thanks for all the kind words. Not everyone is being nice (not from this site). I thought I would share an email that was sent regarding my situation:

"By the way fish are not animals, they are fish."

They are calling me a scam artist, deceitful, etc. It was a pretty nasty email. People that think fish aren't anything worth saving.
Kelly68

Postby Kelly68 on Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:03 am

I just wanted to give an update. I really appreciate all the help this site has given me. People that have fish as pets, know.........FISH ARE PETS. I have only received one local donation from my city. After pushing 75 brochures and letters out to businesses and the local paper running a story, only one person from my city found my cause to be worth while. It has been the fish sites and over at the Bubbler that all my donations came in to. It is sad to know that others from around the country think that my cause is worth saving when my own city hasn't stepped up to the plate. Finned Friends raised some nice donations however we have fell short by about $400 to solve my immediate problem. I have til the 18th the letter that arrived in the mail yesterday says, so hoping it will all work out in the end. I am praying that I can get through this immediate danger. I have people over on the site thebubbler.com trying to get me a fundraiser started, to help out my next obstacle of raising enough money to fix the problem that caused these high bills and to get an attorney involved to sue this company.

But I just wanted to make sure it did not go unsaid that you have been wonderful to me here. So thank you.

Kelly and all my finned swimming friends.

p.s. One of my rescues got adopted yesterday! :)
Kelly68

Postby Kelly68 on Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:08 pm

Guess what folks? Finned Friends met our immediate goal. No disconnection on the 18th!!!! Enough money was raised thanks to everyone who has faith in me and my fish friends. Three more donations came into today, with one taking care of the rest of the immediate danger. You know who you are and thank you so much. She is the quiet type and didn't really want a lot of fuss, but I still had to give her the recognition that she deserves for the outstanding donation today and the one she made yesterday.

Everyone on here has been so wonderful to me. There are still talks about a fundraiser type thing to be done on The Bubbler to help me continue my efforts. These donations stopped the immediate disconnect and is buying me enough time to try and solve what caused this to happen in the first place. I am talking some very high payments here on out to keep Public Service happy. They are talking $300 a month PLUS my current bill which is falling between the $600-$700 range. And the rescues keep coming in.

I need to raise enough money yet to pay for another contractor to fix this mess this scamming contractor did to me. In order to do this my best chance is hiring an attorney which is a huge expense on its own. If I cannot get the Manufacturer to approve another contractor to come in and fix this, I am left in the same position next month and the next month. So I have a lot of work to do.

So from the bottom of my heart thank you for helping me save my fish. We have overcome so much so fast, I just hope that is a sign of more good things to come. 12,000 fish are still here today because of you. Minus one who found a home.

Kelly
Kelly68

Postby Kelly68 on Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:01 pm

I would like to start out by saying, thank you everyone from this site who has shared kind words and or helped in any way throughout Finned Friends and KARS contractor fraud dilemma. Being this case is so unique and extremely complicated, the local police dept has taken so much longer than expected to finish up their Contractor theft and Fraud case to forward it onto the DA for prosecution. It sure is sad, as I sit here and cry, to know that this contractor has won a battle I can no longer keep up with. As he sits there with $8500 of my money, and I sit here with seldom working, lack of energy efficient equipment, I will have to end my fight.

I have been paying extremely high energy bills all summer (to be exact they got over $3700 from me over the last 4 months) I have also been trying to keep up on my Mortgage payment plan as well. It is my responsibility to split the costs of the bills as my business is a home based business. All this trouble due to one contractor’s negligence, ignorance and greediness. The Police Dept cannot guarantee me a date when this will be complete. They only say they have a great case and I will eventually get some sort of compensation both the theft of equipment the contractor took back out after installation that I was never repaid for, and restitution for the non working equipment and high bills. This is not going to be done in any timely manner to save me from losing my business. I am short this month to pay my part of the mortgage to keep the business open and to keep us from losing our home. These triple a month utility bills have not only put a strain on my mortgage, but on me as a human being. I am so sad to know that all my dreams and hard work are about over.

I just sent one child off to college and that has me feeling a big void in my heart. I found out my oldest child just joined the Navy and will be leaving in March. This business is my life and my way to fill a void of an empty nest. Donations have been non existent anymore and that is the reason that I have been selling stuff on several fish related sites to help raise money without anyone knowing the extent of the real problem at hand. The rescue I provide is a very well needed service. Too bad I cannot buy any more time to save it.

So again, thank you everyone for believing in me and my passion. I am sorry to disappoint anyone who helped way back in April. I tried, I really did. I love my house, I really do. And I have other pets (my other kids) that will be without homes too. I feel like a failure, not just to myself...but to my family. No one can even fathom what is going on in my head right now. I'm sorry.

Kelly
Kelly68

Next

Return to Club Lounge