HDTV

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

HDTV

Postby Falcon57 on Sun May 18, 2008 7:25 am

I need some perspective and opinions on getting a HD DVD player and maybe a HDTV. I was thinking of getting a HD DVD player and was wondering if I really need a HDTV to enjoy the HD DVDs I may purchase?
Enjoying marine reef keeping without going broke.
http://www.infowars.com/
Falcon57

Re: HDTV

Postby Ereefic on Sun May 18, 2008 7:47 am

Blu-ray won the format war so that is the player you'd want to get, not HD-DVD as movies won't be released in that format.

You will need an HDTV that can connect via HDMI or RGB cables, Hi-def won't work with the red/white/yellow cables. What resolution (720p, 1080i, 1080p) you get really should depend on what size HDTV your looking for. General thought is anything under 42", stick with 720p-1080i as you won't be able to tell that apart from 1080p and it's much cheaper. Anything bigger than 42", look into 1080p but be prepared to pay for it.

Haven't really looked into Blu-ray players as i've got the PS3 which plays blu-ray and upconverts regular DVD's. Not sure if prices have come down since the format war ended, but at that time the cheapest BR player was around $400. If you like to play games at all, consider the PS3.

We've got a Vizio 37" LCD-HDTV (720p/1080i) and it's very nice, works well and has a really nice picture and it came in well under $1000, more like $650 on sale. Very happy with it.
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby Falcon57 on Sun May 18, 2008 7:59 am

Okay, the next question is will I be able to play HD DVDs and my old DVDs on a Blu-ray player? The one thing that has disappointed me on the whole controversy is that Blu-Ray is so expensive compared to HD. In fact, I have been pricing HD players and they are almost comparably priced to standard DVD players. Also, the HD DVDs are not that expensive compared to standard DVDs. However, Blu-Ray DVDs are quite pricey and not very appealing. I have a large collection of standard DVDs and I have been wanting to get a HD DVD of a movie that has special features this version only has.

I am not in a big hurry to "upgrade" anytime soon. Just trying to figure out the direction I may want to go.
Falcon57

Postby Ereefic on Sun May 18, 2008 8:40 am

Blu-ray players won't play HD-DVD but should play your standard DVD's. HD-DVD players are so cheap now, it may be worth it to you to pick on up if there are certain movies that are on HD-DVD that you like but it would be useless after that.

I would expect prices on blu-ray players and movies to come down around christamas time, that would just seem to make sense, but who knows. If your in no hurry, I would wait awhile as prices have to come down at some point, it's just a matter of when. Xbox360 has a HD-DVD add on drive for there machine and it was selling for around $180 during the format war, and when everyone went with BR the price for that HD-DVD player dropped to like $20. :)

To be honest, if the PS3 didn't have a Blu-ray player, I probably would have sold it by now. But with the BR drive and the fact that it does an excellent job of upconverting standard DVD's (still not as nice as BR, yet better than standard DVD player), it would be silly to sell it just to turn around and buy another BR player.

BR Live is a nice feature, but not many movies using that capability yet. But if your player is connected to the internet, it can pull extra content pertaining to the movie off the net. Not something I would use much, but others may.
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby Falcon57 on Sun May 18, 2008 9:01 am

Ereefic wrote:
You will need an HDTV that can connect via HDMI or RGB cables, Hi-def won't work with the red/white/yellow cables. What resolution (720p, 1080i, 1080p) you get really should depend on what size HDTV your looking for. General thought is anything under 42", stick with 720p-1080i as you won't be able to tell that apart from 1080p and it's much cheaper. Anything bigger than 42", look into 1080p but be prepared to pay for it.

We've got a Vizio 37" LCD-HDTV (720p/1080i) and it's very nice, works well and has a really nice picture and it came in well under $1000, more like $650 on sale. Very happy with it.

If I understand you correctly, I need a HDTV to enjoy either HD DVD or even Blu-Ray DVDs on either player? I have a 20 year old Toshiba that is cable ready but it I use the red/white/yellow cables to hook up to my standard DVD player. I was wondering if the converter boxes being offered will help with this?

Thanks for your input and patience. I am still learning the basic of this new techology. Also, I wanted to get the Star Trek TOS on HD, but the "hybrid" first season is so expensive and the second season is a little cheaper, but expensive. It is a remastered standard DVD and not HD. There are no new news on when the series will be offered on Blu-Ray.
Falcon57

Postby Longinus on Sun May 18, 2008 10:00 am

The converter box's wont help with it. The problem is that your TV is not capable of displaying content in high-res, and you dont have the inputs for it. This problem can really only be solved by buying a new TV which is HD. I would suggest getting one with HDMI of course, because its darned usefull and the cables are increadibly cheap online(~5$ for a 15 foot cable) in comparison to a good RGB cable which would be more.
-.-- -.-- --..
Longinus

Postby Falcon57 on Sun May 18, 2008 10:07 am

Longinus wrote:The converter box's wont help with it. The problem is that your TV is not capable of displaying content in high-res, and you dont have the inputs for it. This problem can really only be solved by buying a new TV which is HD. I would suggest getting one with HDMI of course, because its darned usefull and the cables are increadibly cheap online(~5$ for a 15 foot cable) in comparison to a good RGB cable which would be more.

Thanks.
Falcon57

Postby Ereefic on Sun May 18, 2008 11:16 am

DO NOT let anyone tell you that you need to buy expensive HDMI cables either, and trust me sales people will try. I got mine online ( http://www.monoprice.com ) and it was like $8 shipped (compared to $50-$100 in store) and there is no difference in quality between an $8 cable and $100 cable.
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby Slakker on Sun May 18, 2008 11:28 am

http://www.monoprice.com is great for cheap cables.

I got my 6 footer for like $4 + shipping or something like that. I have a friend who works at best buy, he confirmed that THEIR cost for HDMI cables is also that low, 4 or 5 bucks.

When I bought my HDTV, I had bought an HDMI cable with it for $50. That's 1000% markup...it's insane, they should not be able to get away with that.

Also, I'd say that HDMI is a must. At least one HDMI port is standard on almost all HDTVs now, and you won't get true HD out of your set without one. AFAIK the best component cables can do is 480p, which is only a little bit better than standard definition.
Slakker

Postby SilverSurfer on Sun May 18, 2008 1:45 pm

I agree, i dont notice a difference between my cheap walmart HDMI cable and my buddies monster cable expensive one. I think tv's need more HDMI inputs now cuz i need more if i add a Wii :D
ImageReality is for people who can't handle Science-FictionImage
SilverSurfer

Postby Longinus on Sun May 18, 2008 4:18 pm

SilverSurfer wrote:i need more if i add a Wii :D

The Wii has no HDMI out. There is a converter to let you use an HDMI cable, but its still just 480p instead of 1080p.
-.-- -.-- --..
Longinus

Postby Falcon57 on Sun May 18, 2008 4:51 pm

I think if Blu-Ray manufactorers and retailers don't get their act together and lower prices and allow everything they make affordable, the potential of losing the market will be a reality rather than a theory. [-X

I may end up geting HD DVD player as well as HDTV. I will watch and wait to see how the market reacts this year. The economy is not doing so well and I think it will get worse.
Falcon57

Postby SilverSurfer on Sun May 18, 2008 8:26 pm

Longinus wrote:

The Wii has no HDMI out. There is a converter to let you use an HDMI cable, but its still just 480p instead of 1080p.

THAT AINT RIGHT! :? #-o
SilverSurfer

Postby Longinus on Sun May 18, 2008 8:32 pm

SilverSurfer wrote:
Longinus wrote:

THAT AINT RIGHT! :? #-o

Really? I have been told multiple times that the Wii cant do HD. If it can I may have to give it a shot :)
-.-- -.-- --..
Longinus

Postby SilverSurfer on Sun May 18, 2008 10:10 pm

lol no like cant they released wii without hdmi their crazy
SilverSurfer

Next

Return to Club Lounge