My tv's picture went out, but theres still sound!!!!?????

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

My tv's picture went out, but theres still sound!!!!?????

Postby MattyS on Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:30 pm

im sure alot of people on here are pretty good with electronics so im just wondering if i can get some help with my tv, the picture has gone completely black , but theres still sound :? . but if i leave the tv off for a while, it will be fine for a few minutes, then it starts turning black, then completely black, anyone know what the problem is? easy(cheap) fix or should i just try and find a new one?

thanks for any info or help :D
MattyS

Re: My tv's picture went out, but theres still sound!!!!?????

Postby Rueg on Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:47 pm

I had a TV that did the same thing. It was a bad capacitor. It was still under warranty so the service repair man fixed it. Looked easy enough, but how he figured out which capacitor had gone bad is beyond me. This was a tube TV. Is that what yours is?
Rueg

Postby Slakker on Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:20 pm

I would not mess with a capacitor if you're not certified with some sort of "know how to not electrocute the crap out of yourself" degree...they're nasty, mean, nasty things, some of them store up enough charge to kill a person.

Might be easier/safer to get a new one.
Slakker

Postby MattyS on Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:34 pm

i actually dont have a clue what type it is, about 10 or so years old though so i think its just a regular tv, no special bulbs in it,

Tyler, i dont think i plan on dying due to a tv, might be one less idiot on this earth but thats not a chance im willing to take :) , thanks for the capaciter info, i did not know they could kill a person :shock: (how do you know/find that out?)

ohh well guess its off to look for a new tv :mrgreen:
MattyS

Postby Slakker on Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:03 pm

MattyS wrote:i did not know they could kill a person :shock: (how do you know/find that out?)

You know...that's a REALLY good question. I don't know that I've ever seen it in a textbook or anything anywhere...I guess it's just one of those things that various "grown ups" have been telling me since I was a young kid. Always in my Tech Ed classes they made sure to stress not dismantling things like TV's and computer monitors because they have huge capacitors that can carry a huge charge...my dad always used to mention it here and there as well, and that man seems to know a little bit about everything (unless you really need to know something :))

I just googled it and it's mentioned in the ever-so-accurate Wikipedia briefly, and I also found some sort of government report about a man who was killed working on electrical stuff in a coal mine...seems a bank of capacitors was the "culprit." Real sad, just a guy trying to make an honest living....Anyways, that link is http://www.msha.gov/fatals/2003/ftl03c16.htm in case you wanted to read it for yourself.

I had to buy a new TV myself just last year...mine just stopped turning on completely one day, so I went out and spent $700 on a 36" HDTV...and now we don't even have cable at my apartment...LOL. Oh well, it's still awesome for watching movies! Good luck with the hunt!
Slakker

Postby Longinus on Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:31 am

Slakker wrote:I would not mess with a capacitor if you're not certified with some sort of "know how to not electrocute the crap out of yourself" degree...they're nasty, mean, nasty things, some of them store up enough charge to kill a person.

Might be easier/safer to get a new one.

Capacitors will discharge with time, so it shouldnt be a huge concern especially if you are caucious and let it sit unplugged overnight. Still, if you arent a techi it may be a better idea to get it serviced since you could just as likely kill it as fix it.
-.-- -.-- --..
Longinus

Postby ldaley on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:30 pm

You could find one that just has the sound out and set them side by side on the same channel.
ldaley

Postby OceanNwisconsin on Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:26 pm

ldaley wrote:You could find one that just has the sound out and set them side by side on the same channel.

that is hilarious thanks for the lulz!
my fish drink better then i do!

OceanNwisconsin

Return to Club Lounge