62%
McCain
31%
Undecided
8%

Total votes : 39

Re: Who do MARS members like in Nov.?

Postby pangea on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:38 pm

Well, my comment was not directed at you, just general.

Zakaria is left wing and I don't agree with his premise that Obama is a leader on a broad scale. I did actually read "The Future of Freedom" he wrote when it can out, though.

Nothing in the last 5-10 years has changed the way I choose a candidate.

Sara Palin-maybe could have done better, I don't know- Leiberman? Joe the Senator was a poor choice for a candidate running on "Change". Palin is real change.

IMO
125g reef, 660 IC, 3-175 MH, DIY Skimmer & Aqua C, Knop . 240g reef w/-4 250se 10k, Overdriving HD ballast, MR3 w/ Genx-pcx55, DIY Kalk and CA reactors, Seq22
pangea

Postby ReefZoo on Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:01 pm

How about Colin Powell? (certainly can't call him Left Wing!). His comments on Meet the Press were right in line with my thoughts on the subject...

Btw, I supported McCain in 2000 too. But as I stated, I'm an Independent and try to look at all the angles; I don't just vote along the same party lines every election (I'm making this statement to say where I'm coming from, not implying anything towards anyone else).
ReefZoo

Postby pangea on Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:04 pm

Powell would be good. Too bad the Rep party put him in very high ranking positions [as well as his son-FCC] though-out the years and now he supports the Dems. Doesn't make sense to me, may be he is looking for another appointment from Obama. I didn't see him on MTP, MSNBC is not balanced enough for me so I don't watch much. I do like Tim Russert however.
125g reef, 660 IC, 3-175 MH, DIY Skimmer & Aqua C, Knop . 240g reef w/-4 250se 10k, Overdriving HD ballast, MR3 w/ Genx-pcx55, DIY Kalk and CA reactors, Seq22
pangea

Postby ReefZoo on Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:33 pm

pangea wrote:I do like Tim Russert however.

So did I.... I would have loved to seen him in the general election this year! :(
ReefZoo

Postby ReefZoo on Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:03 pm

For anyone who'd like to see Colin Powell's endorsement on Meet the Press (and he goes into quite a bit of detail why), here's a link to the video:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/27265490#27265490
ReefZoo

Postby DDD33 on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:06 am

"Being a Republican is important. Being a Democrat is important. But you know what's more important than that? The interest and well-being of the United States of America," the Democrat-turned Independent said in announcing his decision Monday morning in New Hampshire.

"Let's put the United States first again, and John McCain is the man as president who will help us do that," he said.

Lieberman, the Democrats' vice presidential nominee in 2000, said the next president needs to "break through the reflexive partisanship that is poisoning our politics today and stopping us from getting anything done in Washington."

The endorsement by Colin Powell is powerful, but what about a senator (Joe Lieberman) who was a democrat and still caucuses with them to give them a majority in the senate as an independent endorsing McCain? This seems like a much stronger endorsement considering the background and experience in DC.
DDD33

Postby ReefZoo on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:22 pm

As far as the effect on voting that endorsements make, it's debatable whether they make much of a difference; I cited Powell's statements because they very closely echoed the reasons I decided on Obama. But if there IS an effect, my guess is that Powell's would have more than Lieberman's, for a couple of reasons:
(1) the timing of the announcement
(2) the nature of the endorsement (a military person, highly respected by most people)

Now, of course, you will also have people like Rush Limbaugh who'll (literally) scream "it's racist" but I think that will only work on people who are already located on the far right.
ReefZoo

Postby DDD33 on Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:59 pm

Wow, not to argue, but the 2000 vice president candidate with Al Gore versus an ex-military figure. I have to say an endorsement from Al Gores running mate far out weighs a general. And I don't think you can disregard race as easily as you have, as Powell almost ran on the idea of being the first African American president himself but decided against it. Had he run we may never have known the Bush years as he probably would have gotten the nomination. Think about that for a minute.....
DDD33

Postby ReefZoo on Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:05 pm

I haven't seen any evidence that Lieberman has helped McCain get votes, and he's been on board with McCain for some time (and some thought he was being strongly considered for the VP nod - a move I certainly would have looked upon more favorably than his pick; but then again, I am an independent, not a right winger, and that was certainly why Palin was chosen - to "fire up" the base [and perhaps convert some votes from disgruntled Hillary supporters]; unfortunately for the Republicans, it seems to have alienated the moderates & independents). I'm not sure how much Powell will help Obama either, but it certainly won't hurt. My gut feel is that his endorsement solidified Obama in many voters who were leaning towards Obama, moreso than converting anyone who was supporting McCain (doubtful that will carry much weight to them). Undecideds? Who can tell....

I probably would have voted for Powell. I also would have voted for McCain in the general election in 2000, had he made it. But Rovian tactics did him in... ironic that the use of Rovian tactics by McCain, may do him in again (or at least contributed significantly). Hopefully, future elections will stop utilizing that kind of nonsense (but I'm not real optimistic about that!).
ReefZoo

Postby pangea on Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:25 pm

Like I said, this is politics and they are politicians. You don't get to that level playing nice!

Vote for the candidate you think will do what they can to solve problems in your opinion.

Looks like we picked up one more Ameri-Cain!!
pangea

Postby nasanek on Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:11 pm

Life is a comedy for those who think... and a tragedy for those who feel.
~Horace Walpole
nasanek

Postby ReefZoo on Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:57 pm

Some very interesting data & analysis... Thanks for posting!
ReefZoo

Postby Mike Brolin on Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:38 pm

i found a funny video http://sendables.jibjab.com/sendables/1 ... easer/1191
its funny, but im for obama and when ive seen mccain talk its pretty obvius to see his lieing with body language. he blinks alot and repeats what he's just said which from what i've heared body readers say is lieing. go obama. luke
Mike Brolin

Postby Rueg on Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:28 am

Yes, Obama is a much better lier then McCain. :wink:
Rueg

Previous

Return to Club Lounge