Baby Finch Birdssss

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

Baby Finch Birdssss

Postby ba6y_pig on Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:55 pm

my finch bird laid eggs... any advice on how i can do to help them? or how to feed the soon-coming baby birds?
(please don't tell me to throw it in a pan...) :D
I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life. I am an American soldier.
ba6y_pig

Re: Baby Finch Birdssss

Postby jacook on Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:11 pm

can you even see the babies when they hatch? they must be tiny

I've raised cockatiels and a variety of wild birds -- they are some ugly babies, but they're a lot of fun. If your momma (or dad) finch will feed them, I'd leave it up to her -- she's less likely to do it incorrectly & will be the one to get up at all hours of the night to feed them (getting up every 2 hours gets old really fast). As far as other care goes, all I did was make sure they were in a warm, draft free room.
jacook

Postby Chyendra on Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:49 pm

how cute! I've hand-fed baby parrots, but nothing as small as a finch. If the mommy doesn't feed them, see if you can find a liquid diet at the petstore for babies that you feed through a syringe (minus the needle of course). Hopefully the mom will feed them.
Chyendra

Postby ba6y_pig on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:19 am

looks like the adult birds are taking turn to sit on the eggs.. So far, the eggs have not been hatched (I think). The mom has been spending most of the time sitting on the eggs though. Is it unusual that the eggs have not been hatched? :?
I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life. I am an American soldier.
ba6y_pig

Postby ldaley on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:36 pm

I would be patient. I had finches who laid eggs when I was a kid. The mom laid waaayyyy too many eggs one day and then died. The dad finch sat on the eggs for a long time and eventually my mom told me that there was no way they were alive and she took the eggs from the dad. After they were out and cold she was curious to see so she squished them open and the babies were still developing.

I found a site that says the incubation period is 12-14 days. ( I swear it seemed longer when my finches were laying eggs)

Good Luck!
ldaley

Postby ba6y_pig on Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:08 am

so funny that there are 3 adult finches sitting on the eggs at the same time in their littl finch nest....
I think they are wondering too why the eggs haven't been hatched yet!!!!
Since this is their first eggs, they are too learning... when they 3 sit on the eggs at the same time, they look soooo cute. They must be excited too...lolll what a teamwork... :roll:
ba6y_pig

Return to Club Lounge