A few fun shots from the Keys

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

A few fun shots from the Keys

Postby meisen on Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:11 pm

Well, we had a really nice week in Florida. I can't say enough good things about the Keys. Except too many other people obviously feel the same way. It was cool and windy all week but still 72 with a 20 knot wind is nicer than 40 with the same and rain. We snuck out on a glass bottom boat tour as taking a 2 1/2 year old out on a snorkel tour is a bad plan. She did put the mask on and look into the water though, its a start! We did a lot of touristy stuff this time around and enjoyed it.

A hawksbill turtle we saw in the tour. They said they have never seen two of them together on a tour before. I didnt manage to get both at once b/c they were moving so fast (as was the boat) but a nice shot of one of them:

Maeve gets to hold a live sea star for the first time at the Key West Aquarium:

Maeve all ready to do battle with the other tourists on Duval St:

Debbie and Maeve inside the Butterfly Conservatory on Duval:

For folks that have been down there before and hit all the usual places: Hobo's closed their old shack and moved down the road to a pretty generic looking place. Sloppy Joe's is now a young kid bar :roll: I think the girls next to me were probably 15 years old. Hurricane's is now fairly mediocre and very pricey (compared to moderate and really tasty 3 years ago). Their beer is stilll cold though :). More people than I have ever seen there pre-spring break......

The reefs I went to in general arent looking any worse to me than 5 years ago though the few stands of Elkhorn looked like a coral I would be worried about putting in my tank. I guess it depends on where you go, some folks disagree. Water was pretty warm for early March, 72-74 degrees in most nearshore spots I went in, 76 on some of the reefs already.
meisen

Re: A few fun shots from the Keys

Postby Tonis56 on Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:20 pm

Looks like fun! I had been planning a road trip down to the keys this year, that was before losing my job.
Tonis56

Postby CUNAReefer on Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:22 pm

Looks like she likes the starfish! So when is maeve getting her first tank? :lol:
Dont hate the player, hate the game...
CUNAReefer

Postby spbreeder on Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:29 pm

Sounds like a fun trip. Maeve is beautiful, amazing how fast time flies. Hope all is well,
Denise
spbreeder

Postby meisen on Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:02 pm

spbreeder wrote:Sounds like a fun trip. Maeve is beautiful, amazing how fast time flies. Hope all is well,

Thanks and yeah, so true. #2 is coming in September :D

How are your (now not so) little ones?
meisen

Postby meisen on Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:05 pm

Frankly I was thinking we should do a MARS trip down there. Yeah, I know I always think big :shock:

But seriously, there are at least a dozen of us who scuba or are in the process of getting certified. Plus almost anyone can snorkel.

We get 40-50 people together to charter a bus, get a block of rooms at one of the chain hotels down in KW during the non hurricane/non expensive winter season and snorkel/scuba and drink beer for a week. Well if you aren't diving at least :roll:
meisen

Postby MattyS on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:08 pm

Looks like you had a good time! Wish I could go anywhere other than Wi :lol: I was kind of curious though Mark, did you happen to see any of the Lionfish out there? I knew they were making an impact on some of the coastal reefs out there but wasn't sure how far they made it to some of these places. Did you get any pics of the reefs :mrgreen:
MattyS

Postby causeofhim on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:36 pm

We want to see your reef photos! :mrgreen:

I'm glad you had a good time. I'll have to give you my Duval St. story sometime. It's pretty creepy. #-o
causeofhim

Postby BraenDead on Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:50 pm

MattyS wrote:Looks like you had a good time! Wish I could go anywhere other than Wi :lol: I was kind of curious though Mark, did you happen to see any of the Lionfish out there? I knew they were making an impact on some of the coastal reefs out there but wasn't sure how far they made it to some of these places. Did you get any pics of the reefs :mrgreen:

In January I did a weeklong diving trip in the bahamas, got 20 dives in. We saw at least two or three lionfish on every dive and they were all quite large and looking healthy. Several of the dives we saw dozen+ numbers of lionfish. Sadly it looks like they are taking over lots of area. This was the only fish we were allowed to spear while scuba diving, would feed them to the eels.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby meisen on Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:35 pm

causeofhim wrote:We want to see your reef photos! :mrgreen:

I'm glad you had a good time. I'll have to give you my Duval St. story sometime. It's pretty creepy. #-o

No underwater camera (I didnt wind up renting or borrowing one) so nothing to speak of. I think I am going to get a housing sooner or later but need to research that quite a bit more before doing it.

Didnt see any lions out there but most of the reefs I went to are very heavily trafficked by divers...probably all caught and sold to local stores ( I think there was a thread on RC about this not too long ago).
meisen

Postby spbreeder on Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:39 am

Thanks and yeah, so true. #2 is coming in September :D

How are your (now not so) little ones?

Congrats! Everyone here is great, loving the country life. Give my best to Deb.
Denise
spbreeder

Return to Club Lounge