Learn to SCUBA so you can visit the reefs underwater!!

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

Learn to SCUBA so you can visit the reefs underwater!!

Postby BraenDead on Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:02 pm

Hey all!

I am a dive master for the Hoofers Scuba club and they have an open water class starting next week. For those of you not familiar with Hoofers, it is a club part of UW Madison at the Memorial Union. The scuba classes are taught at the Union for 5 Thursdays, plus 5 Mondays at the pool, and 2 days of checkout dives at our instructors private quarry!

Once you get certified, you are certified for LIFE as an open water scuba diver! You will receive a PADI certification card which allows you to dive around the world for the rest of your life!

There are other places to take the class, but there are a few reasons why I think this is the best option available:
1. The fee includes FULL equipment use - most places make you buy a mask, fins, and snorkel ($100+) and will usually over charge you by quite a bit!
2. You get a year membership to the club! ($35 value) This allows you to rent FULL equipment after you are certified for only $5 a day and air fills are $7. The air fills are the same price as other places but most places charge $25-$50 to rent full equipment for a day. Save a lot of money while diving locally, plus we dive a LOT locally (5 times a week or so).
3. You learn a lot of GREAT skills by getting certified in Wisconsin as opposed to tropical places.
4. Our instructor is one of the best open water scuba instructors in the state! She has been teaching Scuba for over 15-20 years and has written the manual for certain scuba classes!
5. You get to do your checkout dives in the instructor's private quary, something only her students have access to! This provides some of the best visibility you will find in Wisconsin, up to 100' at times! Other places in the area make you do your dives in Mendota (5-10' of visibility at it's best, sometimes 1-2') or Devil's Lake (5-12' at best).

More information is available here: http://www.hooferscuba.org/modules/tiny ... x.php?id=2

If you are interested in signing up, you can register at the Memorial Union (you must be a UW student or union member, which is available for $50 a year - still a great value!). I will be at the classroom sessions, pool sessions, and checkout dives so we can talk reef tanks as well! :)

If you are already certified the club also offers Advanced Open Water classes and Rescue Diver classes, as well as Divemaster classes!! More info is available on the website.

If you have any questions about any of the classes, feel free to contact me!

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Re: Learn to SCUBA so you can visit the reefs underwater!!

Postby causeofhim on Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:15 pm

I've been certified for about 10 years now, but I may have to take their advanced course this summer. I am a lifetime Union member, I should probably reap some of its benifits. =D>
causeofhim

Postby BraenDead on Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:16 am

Great idea! The AOW certification is required by a lot of dive places since lot's of dives are over 60' deep. It's a fun easy course and again, a lifetime certification. Basically you get to work on navigation, underwater search and recovery, night dives and deep diving. One of my favorite classes to divemaster for!

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby BraenDead on Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:19 am

I should also mention, if you have any interest in diving madison area lakes feel free to let me know. If you join the scuba club ($35/year) you'll be able to rent equipment at $5/day and air for $7 to join our dives. We dive all over the place: Lake Mendota, Lake Monona, Yahara River, Fish Lake, Salmo Pond, Devil's Lake, Lake Michigan, Pearl Lake, Clyde Quarry, Lake Wazee, Pretty Lake, Red Granite, Flynn's Quarry, and likely others I am forgetting.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby BraenDead on Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:01 am

Bump - open water classes start tomorrow!

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby BraenDead on Tue May 26, 2009 8:30 am

The advanced open water course starts this Thursday evening (about a 15 minute classroom) and consists of five dives this weekend - if you're interested you can still sign up anytime before the class starts!

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Return to Club Lounge