Any ice fishers??

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

Any ice fishers??

Postby BraenDead on Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:25 am

Just curious if there is anyone else in the group that likes to ice fish? I was out yesterday and caught my biggest Northern so far...

http://www.question-mark.net/images/100_0353.JPG

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby beergeek on Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:16 am

Going to start a fresh water tank to keep him?
When I go fishing (only when I can use the boat) I often catch lunker Blue Gills. Last year I cought one almost 1" long, made me think about starting a fresh water tank.
Beergeek
46G Oceanic Bowfront
beergeek

Postby OceanNwisconsin on Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:23 pm

1 inch? thats a monster!

i was out last wedensday and last saturday.. we went to wabesa(sp) at Farm lake... on wedensday we brought home 38 perch avg size about 8 inches with the biggest being 11 inches.. on saturday we went out and caught about 20 keepers. we didnt get any flags but a couple people did around us and brought in some decent northerns.. I seen one group of 3 guys pull one up about that big, wonder if it was you maybe?
my fish drink better then i do!

OceanNwisconsin

Postby OceanNwisconsin on Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:24 pm

nm is see that you were out on SUNDAY and not saturday.. so where did you get that lunker?

OceanNwisconsin

Postby Sula on Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:46 pm

Don't laugh, but I actually HAVE a freshwater tank with a 1 inch BlueGill in it. Also a couple larger Blue Gills and Pumpkin Seeds. They eat like piranhas, I swear...
Sula

Postby BraenDead on Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:17 pm

The fish was from the Lauderdale lakes out by East Troy. I usually fish out east a bit more since I grew up in Waukesha and know the lakes out there more, though I go to once Little Bay de Noc every winter and catch some jumbo Walleye (28-31"). Unfortunately during the ice fishing season my reef tank gets a little neglected, but I make up for it in between fishing seasons (and when the ice gets poor after days like today).

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby hazard on Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:43 am

I have been out to Lake Farm park on Waubesa four times and have also done pretty good on the nice perch and bluegills. I haven't had any flags yet. I hope to get out later this week again.

Chris
The tropheus are calling!!!
http://malatangcichlids.com
hazard

Postby BraenDead on Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:32 am

Where is this Lake Farm Park at Waubesa? I'd like to find a decent lake for catching perch without needing to go to the middle of Mendota. Any special methods/spots/tactics used for catching the Perch?

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby hazard on Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:30 am

Go out a 200-300 yds towards the train tressel in the weeds. Find a hole where you can see the bottom. I have been fishing in 3-4' of water. Black 14 or 16 ratfinkee with 2 spikes.

I gave you everything

Chris
hazard

Postby OceanNwisconsin on Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:30 pm

igive my tips later when i have more time but that is the gist of it!

OceanNwisconsin

Postby OceanNwisconsin on Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:13 pm

i go about 400 yards out from the boat launch, there is a white shanty out there i use that for reference (might be moved/gone now with the warm weather) there is also a gazebo looking house/thing on the left shoreline that i use as a reference point make a 90 degree angle with the gazebo and the boat launch.most everyone else stays closer to shore. dont be afraid to hike a little bit then we set up shop drill holes and look down to see if your in the weeds, you want a couple weeds but not many that fill your hole, you should see bottom its about 5 1/2- 6 feet. you gotta work the perch no sitting and drinking beers! save that for when you catch em and fry them up! i use a orange jig with either wax worm (spikes didnt work AS well for me) or a minnow head(more of a mess but its worth it to the bigger perch!) then i drop it in the hole, the drop is important as almost imediatly you will have a perchs intrest. dont jig when the perch is within 10 inches of the jig let it sit on the bottom of the sand. maybe a slight and do i ever mean slight jig if it has the attention span of a 2 year old! the perch chase the minnows so if you see minnows you are in the gold. stick it out a few and if you see the minnows scatter a perch will be under you hole soon (hopefully) what i do is sit in the shanty for a lil bit and if i come into a couple perch ill sit there untill i catch them or they leave then 5-10 min after they leave ill leave the shanty and belly up and i do mean belly up to a hole nearby and see if the action is there.. ill hole hop to about 5-6 holes and then return to the shanty. rince and repeat till you get bored or limit out. you can even set up some tipups around the area, others have landed decent northern in that location but our big fish luck hasnt hit us yet this year :wink: oh and another thing... we did see crappies under our holes the first time but not the second time.. and they were HUGE ones i was shaking when they came under, but they wernt intrested in the wax worms.... this concludes perch hunting 101!

OceanNwisconsin

Postby hazard on Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:07 pm

I know where you are at about. I am more towards the gazebo thing. I will have to try out deeper the next time I am out. I have still been doing good where I have been also.

Chris
hazard

Postby OceanNwisconsin on Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:59 pm

yea if only we could get some cold days to get some ice back... i wont go on the ice if its under 4 inches i know 2 is supposed to be safe but i dont like being cold and wet! here is a good site for checking out lakes...

http://www.lake-link.com

OceanNwisconsin

Postby BraenDead on Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:50 pm

Well, despite this winter being terrible weather for ice fishing, I still managed to get a couple nice fish. Here is a 30.5" walleye I caught/released 2 weeks ago:

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby hazard on Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:33 pm

Very nice fish. Where did you go to find that fish. Obviously not a Dane County lake

Chris
hazard

Next

Return to Club Lounge