New Pet!

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

New Pet!

Postby meisen on Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:24 pm

Well, finally got up to the front of the line for one of these. A Red Acanthurus aka dwarf monitor lizard aka Red Ackie!!! So cool, I just think hes awesome! Small, super fast and very alert he's more like a predatory bird or mini dinosaur than a lizard. I think velocoraptor everytime he leaps off the top of his heat stack to grab a cricket. Will work on a action vid but for now:

This is the first time since I got him that he'd tolerate the camera :shock:
meisen

Re: New Pet!

Postby cadsfe on Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:00 am

Hey Mark,

I have some supplies from when I had my Savannah Monitor if interested.
Large Heat rock, Ceramic Heater (new), Supplements, etc.
cadsfe

Postby O&J'sdad on Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:07 am

What does your daughter think of him. I am trying to get my wife to let me get a snake again. She is a no go on that.
O&J'sdad

Postby Rueg on Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:46 am

Very cool!
Rueg

Postby meisen on Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:17 am

oscarsdad wrote:What does your daughter think of him. I am trying to get my wife to let me get a snake again. She is a no go on that.

Yeah I am in the same boat as you, no snakes :( . But the upside is she agreed to any lizard....I dont think I'll ever have any trouble getting anything I want as long as the alternative is snakes :mrgreen: . I do miss having snakes, I sold the last of my collection off just before I moved to Wisconsin...those were granfathered I guess.

For kiddos, Beardies or Uromastyx are probably better. Especially the beardies, they are just amazingly docile and fairly durable too. I would not classify the monitor's demeanor as anything like calm though she isnt mean like some niles and crocodile monitors I have worked with. I expect she'll tame as she gets larger too but it still seems like it'll be a more challenging animal to work just for the speed factor.

We also have that male leopard gecko (actually looking for a female soon) that is much much easier for Maeve to hold. She is pretty good with him but does need to be supervised of course. She is definitely interested in him and always asking to take him out, feed him etc. She likes to show him off to folks that visit too :D .
meisen

Postby meisen on Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:17 am

Rueg wrote:Very cool!

meisen

Return to Club Lounge