Pittsburgh Aquarium Mishap

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

Pittsburgh Aquarium Mishap

Postby JRS on Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:13 am

10 Sharks Die At Pittsburgh Zoo

POSTED: 5:58 am CST February 7, 2006

PITTSBURGH -- Human error is suspected in the deaths of 10 sharks at the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium.

Officials said water containing a harmful chemical was accidentally pumped into their tank, killing the black-tip sharks and a puffer fish.

Staff members noticed the problem almost immediately when it happened Saturday, but were unable to save the animals.

The zoo's president said they're investigating how the ozone gas, which is used to purify water, got into the tank.

It's not the first time the aquarium has lost sharks. In October 2002, eight sharks died from a variety of causes.
JRS

Bummer

Postby meisen on Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:44 am

Yeah I was there for work around the time they had the previous die-off. I was not really impressed with anything they were doing there. Most of their tanks looked like they needed some major changes. The coral guy there (I forget his name) was the only one whose section looked good.

At that time, they werent running any ozone b/c they were having leakage issues then too! Boy, if you cant get ozone right, its better not to be used at all IMO. You would be surprised with how many public aquariums have had die-offs due to ozone poisoning. We used it back when I was curator of the children's museum and I was always really paranoid about overdosing or a generator malfunction. One misadjustment and you can kill yourself too!
meisen

Postby stevenliu on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:24 am

Sounds like a scary substance.
stevenliu

Postby Rueg on Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:04 am

Very sad.

I use ozone and have it go right into the protein skimmer. I do not use a ORP meter. I just run ozone for like 30-60 minutes a night. Haven't had a problem yet.
Rueg

Return to Club Lounge