Any Divers?

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

Re: Any Divers?

Postby BraenDead on Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:33 pm

Pearl lake has always been strict about the C-Card. Typically privately owned, pay-to-dive destinations are very strict about the c-card presence. Another example is Haigh Quarry in Illinois - that's a wasted 3-hr drive if you forget the C-card. It's basically a liability issue with their insurance company. But yes, their staff is very odd there.

Conditions at pearl were according to some friends who were out a couple days before I posted them. Their website is rarely updated, the last update was in early spring (when the viz was good).

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby lisadaley on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:49 pm

A mistake we'll not likely make again (if the hubby can find his wallet, to stick his card in my purse - then we'll always have it!).

I was going to have a duplicate set of cards made so that I had a set with our gear and a set in my purse, but it's a bit pricey to do that so I'll just have to be better about remembering (his)!

I believe others have told me about this quarry in IL too. Is the diving good there?
lisadaley

Postby BraenDead on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:57 pm

The diving at Haigh quarry is great. There's usually great visibility (~15-30ft) and updated on their website at http://www.haighquarry.com/Temperature/, usually not too crowded, and you can see some awesome things. I make at least one or two trips a year. I also like to visit with the guys from Dive Right in Scuba (http://www.diverightinscuba.com), they are usually there on the weekends. Mike at DRIS is great and is where I buy a lot of my gear from - plus their store has prices better than most other places and it's somewhat local.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby lisadaley on Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:57 am

Thanks for sending that link. I think we'll find ourselves there sooner than later. Looks pretty cool!
lisadaley

Postby woodtool on Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:08 pm

You'd think they'd be able to look up your cert level at Pearl Lake. Padi pros have a web site they can use which will show all non-pro certs. They just need your name and birthdate.
woodtool

Postby BraenDead on Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:34 pm

You would think, but no - they won't do that. Haigh Quarry will typically do that, depending on who is working. Pearl just likes to be a PITA.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Club Lounge