Animart

Post your experiences with local and online vendors.

Moderator: BraenDead

Animart

Postby therazorsedge on Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:38 pm

Whats up with Animarts prices for their livestock???? 45 dollars for a Yellow Tang, 37 dollars for a Clown...... seems outragous to me. Is there a shortage right now for livestock?? They used to be a lot more resonable with their prices. That was one of the main reasons I went there.
therazorsedge

Postby Slakker on Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:25 pm

Yeah, $35 for ORA ocellaris seemed absurd to me as well...but I paid $30 each for my pair of CB ocellaris at Living Art, so I guess prices might be going up.
Slakker

Postby Longinus on Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:39 pm

I think this is just near us, I have heard that a lot of people in other areas have cheaper prices, and online orders seem nice and low still.
Longinus

Postby Slakker on Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:57 pm

Yeah, but online orders have the shipping rates that'll kill ya.
Slakker

Postby Landon on Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:06 pm

After being scorned by Preferred Pets at the onset of my interest in this hobby I discovered Animart. I had one good experience after the next with the store. Friendly, attentive and knowledgeable staff was worth the trip to Madison and my wife and I made the drive every other weekend just for the fun of it.

After about eight months of this, things started to change. I realize that as you are exposed to more online vendors, other stores, and the livestock our peers offer up for trade, the initial feeling of awe a person can have with one stores selection can fade. I truly believe this was not the case here. It seems quality and customer service were abandoned.

I attened the grand opening this weekend with a wallet full of money to purchase drygoods and possibly a couple of fish, hoping to see the best Animart had to offer. I see what Bob is talking about. The prices are a tad high. I have always been able to overlook a price tag for a robust, active, and healthy specimen. I left empty handed as I have every trip I have taken there since the move. The livestock looked awful. A selection of salt brands wouldnt hurt either.

I hope they can put on a better show in the future. I would love to shop at Animart more. What a shame.
The Arctic Night-lights. "As if the natural world's been turned upside down." - Lord Mandrake
Landon

Postby Longinus on Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:14 pm

Slakker wrote:Yeah, but online orders have the shipping rates that'll kill ya.

Yeah, but some of these places really arent bad if your buying some things with free shipping/getting in on a group order.
Longinus

Postby Cow086 on Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:09 am

i have to agree online orders are by far the best way to go these days however you need to take advatage of the free shipping deals they are always running.
Cow086

Postby Slakker on Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:58 am

True...if I end up with over $200 some dollars on a lot of sites shipping is free, but with a 12g tank it's pretty tough for me to rack up that much in livestock orders.

I'll stick with the higher prices at the LFS for livestock for now, I like to be able to really look at the fish and watch them before I buy them.
Slakker

Postby Longinus on Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:59 pm

Slakker wrote:I'll stick with the higher prices at the LFS for livestock for now, I like to be able to really look at the fish and watch them before I buy them.

Thats true too, I love being able to hand pick my guys (granted, I get tempted by all the wonderfull stuff when I can see it in first person :) )
Longinus

Postby Slakker on Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:17 pm

Also very true...hehe

Then again, without a little temptation, we wouldn't be where we are in this hobby.
Slakker

Postby SilverSurfer on Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:25 am

If it'll help, we're looking at ordering livestock online late next month for our new two SW tanks setting up. 8)
ImageReality is for people who can't handle Science-FictionImage
SilverSurfer

Postby Jake on Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:29 am

Hey guys. If any of you are interested in anything specific at the store let me know and I'll see if I can assist you in getting it ordered. Also any suggestions let me know.
Jake

Return to Vendor Experiences