Sharky's reef?

Post your experiences with local and online vendors.

Moderator: BraenDead

Sharky's reef?

Postby SilverSurfer on Wed May 23, 2007 9:36 am

Am surprised haven't seen a posting on them. Their stock looks amazing from what i was looking at. Lil bit over an hr's trip from me, thinking of heading down there, from looks of it might be safe to just bring a set amount of $$$ and leave rest of wallet at home :lol: Their facilities cool? stock good?
ImageReality is for people who can't handle Science-FictionImage
SilverSurfer

Postby tim on Wed May 23, 2007 10:51 am

I have heard it is really nice. I think there is a post about someone going there and getting someone really nice and posting pics. I would do a search.
tim

Postby Rueg on Wed May 23, 2007 11:50 am

I have never bought anything from them, but they are supposed to be a sponsor:

http://www.madisonreef.com/forum/viewto ... ht=sponsor
Rueg

Postby Sula on Wed May 23, 2007 7:43 pm

I've purchased from them in the past and been pleased. I believe they now have an actual storefront, which they say has lower prices than the web. I've been very tempted to drive down, but am worried about the temptation :shock:

The "take only a specific amount of money" idea is probably a really good one...
Sula

Postby klasikb on Wed May 23, 2007 9:24 pm

They have a nice store with a good selection and good customer service. My only complaint would be much of the stock was not labeled with prices and I don't like to have to ask about everything I may be interested in. It has been a few months since I've been there so maybe that has been improved. It is worth adding to your list of places to go when your down south.
Just a girl trying to create a little bit of heaven on earth, without killing it :)
klasikb

I've been

Postby julisakitten on Thu May 24, 2007 7:20 am

Greetings!
We went down in the beginning of April, they had their prices posted on most things, so that didn't seem to be that big of an issue.
I did get a MARS discount. I just mentioned that I was a member of MARS.
I did however have to get rid of a few of the zoanthid colonys that we purchased from there. I did a coral dip before putting them in my tank, but then I found that some of them had zoanthid eating nudibranches. I found one, and offered it here on the site. But then I did a freshwater dip on that colony and had numerous nudis fall off of it in the dip and swish. Upon further investigating in that colony, and it was loaded with egg sacks. I started cutting the affected polyps off, but ended up throwing it all away because I couldn't be sure that I got them all. It was kind of sad.
I did get some of their mounted zoanthid frags, and have not found any nudibranches on these, it seemed to only affect the full colony rocks.
I would purchase from them again, but only in person, and I would ask to be able to inspect them more closely.
They did have a really large selection. I don't mean to be a downer, just wanted to tell you of my experience. It was my first time purchasing zoanthids, so maybe it was a beginner mistake. Now, I certainly know what to look for.
--Jen
"The only love there is, is the love we make." - PRN
julisakitten

Postby SharkysReef on Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:21 pm

Thank you for the feedback both good and bad. I stumbled on this by mistake but actually glad we did. Our storefront is a new project and continues to go under changes. If anybody has any feedback we would love to hear about them.

Just a couple things I want to mention:
1) Yes we do give a discount to MARS members and as always love to see you in the store. Next time you are down give it a mention.
2) julisakitten thank you for your feedback and glad you got a chance to come on down. Like we tell all our customers you should dip and QT any fish or coral you get from anybody. No matter who you get it from. The procedures stores use like dips etc are not 100% full proof and when you deal with colonies in an out (espically zoas like we do) its impossible to eliminate the threat 100%. However, this does not stop us from trying. We do aim and having everything pest free. Eggs are the problem. They are very resitant to whatever dip we apply and unless we notice see them on visual inspection it goes unknown. We feel with our procedures the risk is somewhat low but is not complete. Only you as the corals final destination can insure the colony is completely pest free from whoever you get them from.

Thanks for your time.
Please let me know of any concerns
Dennis
Come Stop by the reef...

http://www.sharkysreef.com

Clams, Corals, Fish, etc
SharkysReef

Return to Vendor Experiences