Fish salinity

Forum for Living Art Aquarium

Moderator: BraenDead

Fish salinity

Postby BraenDead on Thu May 07, 2009 1:51 pm

Hey Paul,

Thanks for helping me out Wed. night, was good to talk to you again. I picked up the things today over lunch and during acclimation found the water from the fish tank had a salinity of 1.0173 +- 0.0001 (DDM u-tube method). This seems a bit low and hence I'm giving a longer acclimation, but now I'm curious, what is the normal salinity level for the fish tanks?

The invert water was 1.0254 which made acclimation a bit easier (since my water is 1.0255).

Thanks again,

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Re: Fish salinity

Postby LIVINGART on Fri May 08, 2009 8:17 am

Hi Bob,
We do generally keep the specific gravity lower in our fish only systems (1.018-1.019). The fish really don't seem bothered by the hypo-salinity and it's less expensive (we go through a lot of salt!).
Our Invert systems generally run between 1.023-1.025.

We generally recommend our customers to acclimate new livestock by floating them in their bag or a tupperware container for 15-30 minutes. Meanwhile adding water from aquarium to container every 5 or so minutes (it's better to add less water more frequently if possible).
Thanks and see you soon!
Paul
Living Art Aquarium
LIVINGART

Re: Fish salinity

Postby BraenDead on Fri May 08, 2009 8:21 am

Thanks, I figured you ran them lower than normal, I just wasn't sure what your normal range is. Anyway to cut down on cost helps!

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Return to Living Art Aquarium