Check it out, I am not an expert...

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

Check it out, I am not an expert...

Postby Madison Jeff on Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:07 pm

...but when someone points out a weed, and references that it looks like a particular weed, and you realize were it has been planted.....

...I have no doubt, let's put it tthat way.

As far as male/female, I am guessing someone sifted out seeds from their little staqsh and tossed them in the garden. So there is probably both there.

Perhaps an expert should go down, and pull weeds for their personal garden...or at least validate that what I am told it is, and what I assume it is, is....
Madison Jeff
Madison Jeff

Postby meisen on Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:27 pm

LOL

Down in Belize City a similar plant seems to grown in almost every vacant lot. Big as small trees! I couldnt believe that they let it grow but a city with open sewers apparently has larger issues to deal with.
meisen

SMile...Not that I spent 10 days in Belize....

Postby Madison Jeff on Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:26 pm

But only 24 hours on each side in Belize City. I laughed when James wondered if I knew what it looked like. I ademit the rainforest trail and diving all the reefs and atolls were where I focused my interest...frankly I care less about weed.

I was more interest in validating the story that was growing on the square (pun intended)....it isn't what woudl be expectected in any other state capital than here in Madcity.

So you were in Belize, did you dive and if so what was the coolest thing you saw???
Madison Jeff
Madison Jeff

Postby BraenDead on Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:35 pm

I suppose you would only find that growing here... Since it sounds like there are a few people who have dived the reefs, I think we need to see pictures from these trips!

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Actually, as an entertainment topic....

Postby Madison Jeff on Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:53 am

...at an upcoming meeting if there is interest, I have a DVD of my Belize diving trip which was really cool (and short...only about 15-20 minutes). I also have a VHS video of a dive trip to Cozumel which includes a grouper nipping at the camera person...but that is much, much longer. And I have hundreds of pix on dvd from my Hawaii trip....I think it includes an educational presentation on tunicates too.

My house doesn't have a big room...and my dog would be a pain in the butt trying to get everyone's attention. So I woudl be better off bringing any of these to somewhere else for sho & tell purposes.

If there is interest in seeing reefs & its creatures, I got lots of things....too much.

I'd be glad to bring some of thhis to an upcoming mmeeting. The one next week doesn't work for me, though (brother's bachelor party out of town).

Jeff
Madison Jeff
Madison Jeff

Postby BraenDead on Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:14 am

Sounds great! I have yet to get scuba certified so I can start exploring the reefs myself but I am signing up for the summer Scuba Hoofer classes and have a trip to the keys this November - not the best reefs, but better than Wisconsin!

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Hoofers is a great place to learn!

Postby Madison Jeff on Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:52 am

I originally was certified 12 years ago, annd then didn't advannce my SCUBA until a few years ago. With Hoofers I took the Advannced Open Water & the Rescue courses.

I keep meanning to get to their socials on Thursday evenings, but because I work downtown I guess it is more challenging than it used to be. But they are a good group, so I definitely recommend going to their socials annd asking questions (they meet at 8pm in the Memorial Union or its patio...just look for the red & white dive flag. They are very friendly people, just tell them you're interested in SCUBA annd they'll tell you many stories annd answer any questions you have.

Hoofers is a great way to learn SCUBA. The only requirement is having a union membership which anyone can buy (it is cheaper if you buy it while a student). Then pay the cheap scuba club annual fee, and then pay for any classes.

SCUBA is a great hobby, even here in the cold midwest...nothing is more cool thhan seeing an old wooden ship laying on the bottom of Lake Michigan or Superior.
Madison Jeff
Madison Jeff

Postby meisen on Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:01 pm

I honestly could name the stuff I didnt see and I think it would take less time! I had wanted to see a greater hammerhead, a whale shark (out of season I guess?) and a mola mola (ocean sunfish). Did get to see a couple species of sea turtles, a cannonball jellyfish, spotted eagle ray, a b&w striped toadfish (Belize endemic), a crocodile (thankfully not when I was in the water), nassau and goliath grouper, bunches of reef, lemon and nurse sharks and all the typical reef fishes and life. I dont dive yet so I didnt expect to see or see any of the deepwater fishes like basslets.
meisen

Return to Club Lounge