Frag Swap?

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Postby meisen on Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:24 pm

Cool, thanks Bob,

We'll send em just as soon as we have em all worked out.

Mark
meisen

Postby Mark on Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:29 pm

Can't make the meeting, but if you're having a second session ... let us know :)
Mark

Postby meisen on Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:52 pm

Sure thing though I hope the logistics dont get that complicated!!!!

I will share what gets figured out tonight with you all.
meisen

Postby BraenDead on Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:47 pm

Anything happening with this?

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Ereefic on Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:01 pm

Still recovering from a hangover? Get hauled off to jail cause you were asking all the ladies at the bar if they'd like to see your little fishy? :lol:
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby mfd78 on Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:03 pm

lol - no, we weren't showing off our "little" fishies! Apparently, the beer impaired our ability to post in a timely manner...

Actually, I thought Mark was going to post on this but I can contribute also. We decided to have the event on June 12th from 2-4pm. The location is 825 W. Badger Rd at the fire station community room. It's close to the beltline, centrally located, and has lots of parking. I wanted the name to be "Frag Fest 2005!" with explosions and stuff but Mark thought that was a bit much so we went with MARS Frag Swap. We'll save Frag Fest for when we book the Alliant Energy Center! :) We decided to come out with a flyer - no commercial venders - pre-bagged frags and used equipment only. We thought we should keep it easy for the first event. A suggested donation of $5 at the door will go to the web operation and we'll be giving away a gift certificate from Drs F&S during the event.

Hopefully, more info and maybe a poster mock-up will be available at the next meeting. Speaking of which...do we know where/when that is???

Steve
mfd78

Postby Ereefic on Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:35 pm

Who all is invited to the frag swap in regards to other reef clubs?
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby mfd78 on Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:27 pm

That is open for discussion although I'm sure everyone would be welcome to attend. As far as inviting other clubs, Mark was going to take care of that and I didn't write down the ones he was going to contact. Any suggestions on what we should do?
mfd78

Postby BraenDead on Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:07 pm

I added some information regarding the event to the homepage. Please pm or e-mail me with any corrections or modifications.

Thanks,

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby mfd78 on Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:13 pm

Thanks for posting that so fast Bob. I'll get you any changes as they show themselves!
mfd78

Postby meisen on Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:23 am

Sorry guys, I was going to post what you posted above Steve but I wound up having a really crazy week. My schedule looked like it was going to change (making that weekend impossible for me) and I wanted to see what was going to happen. Plus I was hungover for like 5 days!

So,
Here is who I had in mind to directly invite:

Wisconsin Reef Society
Fox Valley Reef Club
Western Wisconsin Reef Club
Chicago Marine Aquarist Society

Too few? Too many? Any comments?

Flyers for the fragswap to LFS in exchange for them being able to have a store flyer/coupon whatever at the entry table (my guess is that if anyone drives out to the swap, they will want to hit some local action as well).
At this point, we just need people who would be willing to go to their favorite LFS and ask to put it up.

Come to think of it Steve, frag fest 2005 does kinda sound like more fun now that I see it written down lol.

Mark
meisen

Postby Ereefic on Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:34 am

I've never been to a frag swap, so i'm not sure how they work. Anyone who comes can bring things to trade/sell?
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby meisen on Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:39 am

Wow Eric,

I am amazed you never went to one.....your eyes will bug!!!

Anyway, yeah, anyone can come, enter and trade. Some clubs only allow their members to sell and/or have a table (CMAS for example) but I think we would want as many people to bring stuff as possible. Plus, since there is no formal entry into the club, it might be hard to inforce. I think the only thing I want to limit is commercial sellers as we are asking local fish stores to support us (and this would be basically inviting some of their competition to town). If/when the swap gets bigger, we could open it up to LFS and other commercial sellers to come and participate for a fee.
meisen

Postby Ereefic on Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:55 am

Is there going to be any access to electrical? Not for lighting but perhaps for a heater? I suppose in that couple of hours it wouldn't be a problem, but to bring a small tank with some water and a heater to float bags would be ideal. Just thowing out ideas, don't know the arrangements you made with the facility.
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby meisen on Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:47 pm

Eric (and all)

In doing this first swap, we wanted to keep setups as simple as possible and keep space at a maximum. I think no setups beyond a cooler to bring the frags in for this one.....meaning everyone with frags to trade should prebag and label them. Since its pretty hard to tell the colors of anything in baggies under flourescent lights, I would recommend that people either pre-arrange some trades or bring pics that show the colonies in their tanks.

Should be warm enough by then (hoping....) for frags to stay out for a long while with no problems. My experience with frag swaps is that frags are usually just fine as long as temp is "indoor" level meaning 68-74 degrees or so. Most of the frags I got back from the last one I went to were in the bags for 2 days, mostly at room temp or slightly warmer and all but one of them survived. Thats probably extreme though.
meisen

PreviousNext

Return to MARS General