Ecoli outbreak Piggy Wiggly meats

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

Ecoli outbreak Piggy Wiggly meats

Postby SilverSurfer on Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:45 am

http://www.nbc15.com/home/headlines/9864367.html

Glad to know only took 1.5months to figure it out after we already purchased it :roll:
ImageReality is for people who can't handle Science-FictionImage
SilverSurfer

Postby Aimforever on Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:46 pm

Thats why you just shouldn't eat pink burgers... ever. I still can't believe some people don't cook ground beef patties all the way through.

0157:H7 is scary. I'm glad no one was seriously hurt.
Aimforever

Postby meisen on Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:47 pm

But rare meat is SO GOOD!
meisen

Postby O&J'sdad on Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:14 pm

when I was younger my grandpa at raw hamburger with crackers. I thought it was very gross, he called it his canable sandwich and never once got sick from it.
O&J'sdad

Postby Sula on Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:38 pm

A few semesters of Parasitology and several months working in a Microbiology lab will cure you of all desire for undercooked meat.
Trust me.
Sula

Postby meisen on Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:38 pm

LOL funny, I thought that too when my parasitology professor started the semester with "if anyone likes sushi you might want to consider dropping this class".

But even though I know how bad it can be, I cant stay away from the stuff. Raw oysters, clams, scallops, fish, rare steak mmmmmmm good.

I remember reading somewhere that the average Japanese businessman dies with dozens of encysted fish parasites in his body. I guess I look at it like this: most of these things dont want you or even know what to do when they get you. They wind up just along for the ride and unless they go into a vital organ in large numbers, probably harmless. Even if they eat a little of your food (tapeworm), whats the harm, we are all pretty well fed anyway right?
meisen

Postby SilverSurfer on Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:43 pm

I think im gonna be sick now. :puke:
ImageReality is for people who can't handle Science-FictionImage
SilverSurfer

Postby Aimforever on Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:19 am

oscar that's hilarious. i've heard of that before too!

i agree rare meat is good too, but as Sula said, if you only knew.... :shock:

i'm a 5th year microbiologist myself, and i've spent the last few years doing research on the pathogenic 0157:H7 e. coli, so i guess i just have too much information for my own good.

steaks with pink centers aren't so bad, since pathogens can't get inside the mussle tissue very easily. they stay on the surface of the meat, so when you cook it they are all killed pretty quickly. obviously this isn't the case with ground beef. pathogens are blended throughout the entire peice of meat, and can only be killed by getting the entire patty the the appropriate temperature.

as with any risk, some people could eat it their whole life and never have a problem. i know a gentleman who has smoked a pack a day since he was a kid and is in virtually perfect health. yet there are some who die of lung cancer and have never had a single cigarette. without getting too philosophical here, its just comes down to how serioulsy you take these things and how much risk you are willing to tolerate in your life. personally, i cook my burgers until they resemble hockey pucks. :lol:
Aimforever

Re: Ecoli outbreak Piggy Wiggly meats

Postby teri on Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:16 pm

too funny! I worked at the Pig over by Dean Care in SP when I was 16. Got fire for being a "smart ass" and a couple weeks later that PIG was closed down for selling bad meat LOL :shock:
12g SW set up since late June '11 but just picked up a 50 tall with 20 sump
& looking forward to getting it switched over after moving 2-1.
teri

Return to Club Lounge