Should we have a minumum post count to sell??

Information about the website, forums, etcetera

Moderator: BraenDead

Should we have a minumum post count to sell??

Postby tim on Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:58 pm

I have noticed that we have alot of new members were there first post are in the Buy,Sell, & trade section. Do we need to go the route of Reef Central and have a minumum post count and time on the board to sell? The reason I ask, is I PM'ed someone regarding a sale item there were surprised that got a response since there are so many boards. They are from out of state adn only have a couple of post all of which are for sale items.

I for one would like to see our local club to active and full of members that want be here and not just siging up to sell stuff. Just my .02.
tim

Re: Should we have a minumum post count to sell??

Postby BillWeimer on Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:36 pm

I have noticed a few of these as well. I don't buy and sell much stuff though, so my experience with them is limited. If they are just signing up and selling stuff, I would disagree with that.
BillWeimer

Postby Cow086 on Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:07 am

how would we regulate that?

All we are going to see is a bunch of random posts in other forums with like one word or a smiley or some dumb response that makes no sence just to get thier post count over the thresh hold.

If we limit this whats next a limit on how many post you can do a day too???

Im all for reducing the amount of people that sign up only to sell something but i dont think this is answer.
Cow086

Postby tim on Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:07 pm

Ok so many a post count is not the answer, but team that up with a 30 or 45 days after joing to sell. I just have noticed that i have seen this more an more and even though our member number are up they are not active.
tim

Postby Cow086 on Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:11 pm

i could see a waiting period working days wise
Cow086

Postby Rueg on Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:41 pm

Very interesting post. I could go either way on this. Yes, it is kind of annoying seeing people join up just to sell stuff. Then again what do the rest of us care - we have the opportunity to buy something perhaps at a good price.
Rueg

Postby tim on Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:34 pm

I guess its one thing if they are local, but when they are from a different state and you have to pay shiping? Thats what I see sites like RC and saltwaterfish.com and other large fourms for.
tim

Postby BraenDead on Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:35 pm

My thoughts are not to enforce anything simply because we can see where they are from (and ignore them), we can see when someone joined, and we can see how many posts they have. It's easy enough to make your own rules for yourself (don't buy from anyone with less than xx posts or anyone who has joined within xx days). Overall I don't think it is too big of a problem at this point in time.

I'm open to discussion on this if anyone disagrees...

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby tim on Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:43 pm

I guess my biggest thing is not where they are from. But I dis like seeing people with 1 or 2 post all in a selling fourm, then we never hear anything from them again. I just brought up the one that I knew of that happened to be from out of state and a new member. Just my .02
tim

Postby Ereefic on Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:55 am

BraenDead wrote:My thoughts are not to enforce anything simply because we can see where they are from (and ignore them), we can see when someone joined, and we can see how many posts they have. It's easy enough to make your own rules for yourself (don't buy from anyone with less than xx posts or anyone who has joined within xx days). Overall I don't think it is too big of a problem at this point in time.

I'm open to discussion on this if anyone disagrees...

Bob

I pretty much feel like Bob on this.

I don't think i've seen any complaints from anyone buying from these people. If there were alot of complaints, perhaps steps could be taken. But if someone is bailing from the hobby you can't expect them to stick around and post a bunch just to sell there stuff. They'll take it elsewhere and offer good deals to others.
Ereefic
Site Admin

Return to Website Questions