HQI/DE lighting love it or leave it?

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

HQI/DE lighting love it or leave it?

Postby SaltyMad on Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:50 pm

I plan on upgrading to MH soon and I was wondering if anyone here has HQI/DE MH. If you do, how do you like it? Is it worth the extra money?
The biggest turn off for me is the cost of the pendants, the best price I've seen is $100 per pendant, no bulbs or ballast and all the DIY plans I've seen don't seem to fully utilize the output of the bulb, the reflectors don't seem up to par, oops a pun:-)
Thanks
SaltyMad

DE MH Lighting

Postby Toddah on Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:04 pm

I have a dual 250 Watt DE HQI lighting system I built and I love the lights. I had 3 96 watt PC lights before this and I would never go back.
I fabricated my own pendant and am very happy with the result, From the research I did the HQI style bulbs are smaller in size and so they don't block anywhere near the light a Mogel based bulb blocks with it's larger body shape and size
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Postby SaltyMad on Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:26 pm

How did you make yours? Do you have any pics? I was thinking about making some but I have zero experience in metalworking. The flood light mod looks interesting but the reflectors they have don’t seem to be that good.
SaltyMad

DIY Light

Postby Toddah on Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:54 am

Here is a link to my construction sequence
http://www.reeffreaks.com/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Postby SaltyMad on Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:33 pm

Umm, yeah...
That's just a liiiiittle bit beyond my capabilities, thanks for the link though.
I guess I'll try the floodlight mod and see how that works out.
Excellent job BTW.
SaltyMad

Postby BraenDead on Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:57 pm

Wow, that is awesome Todd - very nice work!
BraenDead
Site Admin

THANKS!

Postby Toddah on Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:42 am

Thanks for the Kudo's!
I have been using it for about a year now and its working out just great. As usual a few months after building this 36" light I upgraded tanks and it now hangs over my 48" tank, just by accident the bulb spacing works out so each bulb is centered over a 24 X 18 area.
I am just about to buy new bulbs so I am in the research mode to see if I should go with 20000K or 14000K bulbs. I am running no supplemental lighting so I am going to have to go to a bluer bulb to try and color up my SPS frags.
Toddah

Postby OceanNwisconsin on Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:48 pm

i vote 14k!!!!

does my vote count???
OceanNwisconsin

Postby BraenDead on Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:33 pm

I just put on some hamilton 14k's this weekend (dual 250 SE's) and I am very impressed/happy with the color. Granted, they still have to burn in, but I am hoping they don't shift too much.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Return to MARS General