Living Art

Post your experiences with local and online vendors.

Moderator: BraenDead

Living Art

Postby Longinus on Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:36 am

I just wanted to post that I had a good experience with living art last week. I had started out the day going to superstore, but they were closed(I had had a bad experience with living art in the past so I had wanted to avoid them). I went into living art and got treated very well by the employees, as well as got good prices on what I was buying (only cleanup crew, but I still felt the prices were very reasonably). I know I wont be as hesitant to go to living art in the future.
-.-- -.-- --..
Longinus

Re: Living Art

Postby CUNAReefer on Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:54 pm

As a reefer that has BASHED and BASHED Living Art time after time, I have begun to hear many good things about them. For those reefers coming into town for the swap... they DO have quality corals, but be very skeptical of their prices. I was once taken for $160 for 3 (yes I said 3) frags of ORA frags (but that is my fault). If they have to call someone for the price of the coral, please walk out of the store. Your better off at aquatic superstore, animart, pet world, etc...

James
Dont hate the player, hate the game...
CUNAReefer

Postby Longinus on Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:07 am

CUNAReefer wrote:As a reefer that has BASHED and BASHED Living Art time after time, I have begun to hear many good things about them. For those reefers coming into town for the swap... they DO have quality corals, but be very skeptical of their prices. I was once taken for $160 for 3 (yes I said 3) frags of ORA frags (but that is my fault). If they have to call someone for the price of the coral, please walk out of the store. Your better off at aquatic superstore, animart, pet world, etc...

James

I would agree, although I did have a good experience this time, and would consider going back in the future, I would not stop in if you havent been there a couple of times before. Enough people have had bad experiences their first couple times in there(I know my first experience was bad) to not make it worth your time. Take the time to hit up animart or aquarium superstore. Both are fine places, even though I was thrown of by their names at first(they sounded like big chains with sick fish), but their livestock is typically in good health with a nice selection. I know the guys at superstore have treated me really well in the past, and some of the guys working in the Animart salt section are on the MARS forums and active reefers.
-.-- -.-- --..
Longinus

Postby klasikb on Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:31 am

I'm a big fan of Living Art, I think everyone knows that by now. I do agree that my biggest complaint is not having everything marked and if Paul is not there they usually have to call him for the price. The plus side is I don't think Paul has a life so they usually don't have a problem getting a hold of him, J/K Paul :P
Yes, they are not the cheapest place but everything I have bought there this year has been about the same price if i would have gotten it online plus paid shipping. You really have to know the going rate for what your looking to buy so you don't feel as if you've been cheated when you get home and research it. Research first :D I have also been going there since they opened and have developed a good respectful relationship with the staff. The staff in return is always helpful and great to deal with.
I also think Animart is doing a good job as of late. A few more knowledgeable saltwater employees would be my suggestion. As for Superstore, I love dealing with Shawn. He has be there since the beginning for us. The store just needs more livestock and you have to look past the lighting they have over the fish cubes.
OK, thats my 5 cents for the morning. I have to go make cookies, see you all at the swap.
Sheila
Just a girl trying to create a little bit of heaven on earth, without killing it :)
klasikb

Postby mfd78 on Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:30 am

There's a frag swap today??? :shock:
mfd78

Postby keyhole on Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:58 am

mfd78 wrote:There's a frag swap today??? :shock:

YES and the rumer has it MC Firehose is the entertainment =D>
keyhole

Postby BigHappyBuddha on Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:02 am

Without stepping on anyone's toes...It seems like the biggest gripe with Living Art is their pricing and that just seems unfair. Yeah, I have dropped a ton of money with them, and overall this hobby has not been a cheap date, but come on...a young guy starting up a new business, working around the clock, cutting his teeth in retail. They always have the killer cool and unique livestock, overall service is great and they have passion for what they do. I think until you have owned and operated any type of retail, small business...well, I don't think you bashing them for high prices is a reflective of who they are completely as a great LFS in our small community.
"What you think upon grows."

Ryan
Check out our website - http://www.bighappybuddha.com/
BigHappyBuddha

Postby CUNAReefer on Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:11 am

Agreed. Good post Ryan.
Dont hate the player, hate the game...
CUNAReefer

Postby sslak on Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:10 am

For a while I was exclusively shopping at Aquatic Specialties. I went back to Living art 2 weeks ago for the first time and I was very pleased with what I saw in stock. The main display tank up front has been completely ridden of the horrible bubble algae that plagued it for quite some time.

I picked up a really colorful Ricordia for 30 bucks. It had 2 mouths and is already beginning to split (despite my horrible heater near-disaster). I felt that 30 was a LITTLE bit pricey for a mushroom, but I think many of us are spoiled with the prices we get from fellow MARS members.

Overall I think they do a great job at Living Art, and they certainly make an effort to keep thier livestock healthy.
Steve
sslak

Postby meisen on Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:28 am

The other day the store looked great and was hopping. It was impossible to even have a conversation with Paul as folks kept coming in. Nice selection of livestock and lots of cool, unusual stuff as well.

Personally I think it behoves us to have multiple aquarium-focused stores stay open in town. With AS closing, we have one less option as consumers for local stuff. For me, thats a bummer and as hobbyists, its nice to have a place to go and just check out cool livestock and gear. I dont know if I agree with the idea that prices can be unfair. Prices are sometimes high locally which is a bummer. But as a buyer, no one is forcing you to part with your hard earned $$$. IE getting mugged is unfair but buying a $150 fish is just a choice. And if something is priced too high, it likely wont sell. The retailer can either adjust the price or continue to not selll items....either way the system works it out.
meisen

Postby BigHappyBuddha on Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:07 pm

Meisen,

Not sure if you were addressing my previous post...but just to clarify my comment about "being unfair" was directed at anyone bashing them for their prices not Living Arts' actual prices. I think we are saying very similar things...if people were not buying product at a certain price, it would not be priced that way for long.

I like Living Art a whole bunch, and really appreciate having such a nice resource locally.

Ryan
BigHappyBuddha

Postby meisen on Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:52 pm

BHB, Sorry but I guess I see the "unfair" price thing a lot of places and it urks me a little (RC for one). Maybe its semantics but yeah, they sometimes are expensive on stuff. Lately prices have come down a bit there, not sure if thats economics in action or what but its good for us :mrgreen:
meisen

Postby BigHappyBuddha on Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:31 am

Yeah agreed, I'm not such a fan of whining...especially when we are talking about a hobby that is an obvious luxury/choice.

Ryan
BigHappyBuddha

Postby Gawain on Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:35 am

I just wanted to give a shout out to Living Art. I recently purchased a male squarespot anthias and a green spotted mandarin, and anthias was a great price. Both fish were very healthy and are doing well in my tank. I always enjoy going into the store--the fish tanks have always been very clean when I've been in there (they even keep their overflows clean, lol). Thanks Paul and Pat.

I know the store has been criticized in the past for not having all their livestock priced but I had no problem finding the prices on everything--it all was clearly marked.
Les
Gawain

Postby Slakker on Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:23 am

From what I understand their livestock turns over pretty quick, so keeping up with pricing might be kinda tough...all the same, it should be done, and having 15 labels on a tank with three fish in it is just silly.

That said, their fish are always reasonably healthy, the tanks usually look great, they always have a wide selection with some really cool livestock, but to be completely honest I would still rather get my stuff from Superstore...not just for the prices, but for the people. Not that the guys at livingart aren't really good guys or anything. It's just that, in my experience there, sometimes the advice they give out serves more as a sales pitch than real advice.

I will continue to check things out there, and if I see something I like (and fits my budget) I'll probably buy it...I just feel like the folks at Superstore are more sincere and easier to work with.
Slakker

Next

Return to Vendor Experiences