Fish Room in Progress...

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Re: Fish Room in Progress...

Postby Slakker on Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:06 pm

FWIW, the black clown is a black variant ocellaris. Onyx percula's never get quite that black. :)
Slakker

Postby Landon on Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:31 pm

Falcon57 wrote:
Landon wrote:Another shot of the space. Would be on the shelf where the 2 part stuff is.

What size jugs to you have for the 2 Part Alk/Calcium? where did you get the pumps? What size cups for measuring?

The jugs are 1 Gallon jugs. All of the stuff was bought as a kit from twopartsolution.com. The measuring cups they supplied were 100ml. I hacked the pumps apart to create lids for airline tubing to go through as I use a Reefdoser Twin to deliver the two part now.
The Arctic Night-lights. "As if the natural world's been turned upside down." - Lord Mandrake
Landon

Postby Falcon57 on Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:20 pm

Landon wrote:
Falcon57 wrote:
Landon wrote:
The jugs are 1 Gallon jugs. All of the stuff was bought as a kit from twopartsolution.com. The measuring cups they supplied were 100ml. I hacked the pumps apart to create lids for airline tubing to go through as I use a Reefdoser Twin to deliver the two part now.

Were you able to buy the pumps and jugs as singles?
Enjoying marine reef keeping without going broke.
http://www.infowars.com/
Falcon57

Postby Landon on Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:15 pm

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Jugs-and- ... index.html

This link will take you to exactly what you're looking for. Good luck!
The Arctic Night-lights. "As if the natural world's been turned upside down." - Lord Mandrake
Landon

Postby Landon on Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:09 pm

Hey everyone!

Summer landscapes schedule is winding down just in time for the fall schedule to start pounding me into the ground... I have found some time to completely rework the fish room though!

I picked up 2 new tanks for Living Art. As usual dealing with Paul and the gang was a treat. I grabbed a 45 Tech Tank for upstairs and a 125 acrylic for downstairs. Everything is all plumbed together into the fish room. I had to buy a new pump to get water upstairs. I picked up a new Dolphin and everything went slick as a whistle. I plumbed everything in flex this time. Good stuff.

I got a bigger skimmer. I was very happy with my ER RC-135 but I am a spaz and love tinkering with new toys. I picked up a Reeflo Orca 200. I love it. Super easy to dial in and really consistent skimmate.

I will update with all kinds of pics and a little tour when time permits. Heres the skimmer!

Landon

Postby GoBigOrGoHome on Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:41 pm

"I have added a few SPS over the last few weeks they seem happy. One thing I noticed on a chunk of Acro I got from Oceans Floor is a small crab about the size of a dime that lives right down inside amongst the branches? He never comes out of hiding and just scoots around the inside. Any ideas on what he might be? "

I know this is from a really long time ago, but I'm surprised no one has answered you(unless I totally missed it)... That's an "acro crab" that forms a symbiotic relationship with basically any type of acropora (different types of acro-crabs might be specific to different types of acros, not sure). The crab will deliver a mean pinch to anyone who tries to munch on the acro, the acro will protect the crab from any potential predators, the crab will share any food with the acro, and the acro gets any lingering detritus cleaned out by the crab. I don't believe the crab can live without the acro, and acros w/ crabs tend to thrive easier than those without(although maybe not significantly). Sorry if it was so long ago that you just don't care anymore, but just thought I'd mention... Great looking fish tank and fish room... I just did something similar in a room in my basement w/ a bunch of tanks that were too big to really put elsewhere.
GoBigOrGoHome

Postby Landon on Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:47 pm

Cool info on the acro crab GoBig. Thanks for the feedback.

I added a GEO calcium reactor. I cant say enough about this piece of equipment. Dial in was very simple. Very beautifully built as well. I'm running it with Reef Fanatic ph controller and solenoid.

I added 75 lbs of rock yesterday. I adopted corals and fish from a friends tank. I should have a bunch of hammer and frogspawn frags for sale real soon.

Hope everyones well!

Heres a shot of the new setup.
Landon

Postby Jake on Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:23 pm

Need a suspension kit for that light?
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
Jake

Postby Landon on Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:30 pm

Jake wrote:Need a suspension kit for that light?

lol, I actually have one. Theres nothing in the ceiling to screw it into. Tank was on the other side of the room to begin with so before I drywalled I put in blocking. :D
Landon

Postby cr8signs on Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:44 pm

Wow! Is that the same room? Everything sure has changed since the beginning of your"fish room" journey.
Funny how that happens! Looks like you are still loving it :D Your experiences will certainly help others with their fish journeys, keep up the great work.
cr8signs

Postby Landon on Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:20 am

cr8signs wrote:Wow! Is that the same room? Everything sure has changed since the beginning of your"fish room" journey.
Funny how that happens! Looks like you are still loving it :D Your experiences will certainly help others with their fish journeys, keep up the great work.

Thank you. :D

Heres a picture of the Oceanic Tech Tank I got from Living Art. Everything being plumbed together is pretty darn fun.

Landon

Postby Slakker on Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:24 am

Certainly not the same fish room I bought that Blasto out of last year...it looks amazing. There are days that I wish my equipment could be nice and spread out like that, but something tells me my roommate would not appreciate our living room being transformed into a biology lab :D
Slakker

Postby Landon on Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:01 pm

Hey guys,

I picked up a new tank from Glasscages.com. I was very happy with their price and service. Everything went off without a hitch. Its a 50 Long. 48x18x12H

I plumbed it into the existing systems. I'm gonna turn the 125 into a big fuge. :D
Landon

Postby Sula on Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:31 pm

Okay, THAT looks really cool!!!
When on a journey, it is good to have an end, but in the end it's the journey that counts.
Sula

Postby Landon on Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:35 pm

Sula wrote:Okay, THAT looks really cool!!!

Thans Sula! I'm pretty excited about it. So far I love the feeling of being top down on everything. I hope it will make working on frags and stuff a lot easier. :)
Landon

PreviousNext

Return to MARS General