Living Art

Post your experiences with local and online vendors.

Moderator: BraenDead

Re: Living Art

Postby middleton5 on Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:11 pm

The main guy at Aquarium Superstore tried to sell me a 6 line wrasse for my 12 gallon nanocube. But I have bought from them before. They have been so empty lately. I haven't been in since they switched vendors.
middleton5

Postby Slakker on Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:18 pm

From talking to some of the people that work there it seems like they aren't getting a ton of business right now, which would explain why they aren't carrying much stock.

It's a double edged blade...you order a bunch of stock and no one buys it, you lose money...you leave tanks empty and you lose potential customers...
Slakker

Postby Longinus on Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:33 am

Slakker wrote:From talking to some of the people that work there it seems like they aren't getting a ton of business right now, which would explain why they aren't carrying much stock.

It's a double edged blade...you order a bunch of stock and no one buys it, you lose money...you leave tanks empty and you lose potential customers...

I was in there recently and it was really empty too, was kinda disapointed since they had just gotten a shipment in too. Ton of astreas, but that was about it. I probably will have to stick to living art from now on since I am never on the east side, plus, I have gotten great customer care recently at living art even when just browsing.
-.-- -.-- --..
Longinus

Postby Slakker on Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:49 am

Yeah, I had a chance to talk with one of the Superstore guys on Thursday. It turns out their new supplier couldn't fill more than half of their last order...so if all goes well the store should be teeming with cool new things towards the end of this week.
Slakker

Postby klasikb on Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:37 pm

Slakker wrote:Yeah, I had a chance to talk with one of the Superstore guys on Thursday. It turns out their new supplier couldn't fill more than half of their last order...so if all goes well the store should be teeming with cool new things towards the end of this week.

I'll believe it when I see it. I love the people that work there, but that store has never had a "big" selection of salt water. And going into summer, I can't see Jon putting a lot of money into it. I hope I'm wrong because I would like to have more options. Keep us posted.
Sheila
Just a girl trying to create a little bit of heaven on earth, without killing it :)
klasikb

Postby Slakker on Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:48 pm

Will do...I'm working up in Fitchburg now so it's a short trip over on my way home. The person I talked to sounded pretty hopeful that the shipment was going to be really cool, but I guess we'll have to wait and find out.
Slakker

Postby middleton5 on Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:12 am

Slakker,
Where are you working in Fitchburg? I work at Promega.

Jeri
middleton5

Postby Slakker on Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:40 am

Virtual Properties, dunno if you've heard of it but we're a small company that creates software for real estate firms. Most of it is web based...as an intern, basically what I get to do is go through and fix mundane standardization details.
Slakker

Postby PinkLady on Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:24 pm

Bump for Living Art -- I go in there relatively often and they always have a nice WIDE selection of fish that are all vividly colored, fat, and healthy. There were 2 instances where I inquired about purchasing a particular fish, and the sales guy was honest and upfront about why I shouldn't. Once it was because it was a new stock acquisition that they would prefer to keep a little longer just to monitor it, and the 2nd time he had happened to notice one solitary white spot on the tail that he wanted to make sure wasn't something serious before letting it go. I thought that showed a lot of integrity and gained my respect. They have always been very knowledgable and informative and have helped me make some great choices.

My first purchase from LA was a large 6" red general/red knob sea star that has to be THE coolest starfish I've ever encountered. When I saw it in the tank at the store, I had to ask them if it was real because it looked like a fake decoration. LOL! It eats well on thawed silversides and raw shrimp that I place underneath it every 3 days and never bothers any of my invertibrates, and my puffer has actually been caught sleeping on top of it a couple times.

I also purchased a BIG male blue mandarin dragonet that has been thriving on frozen food, which was a huge relief since so many hobbyists seem to not be able to keep these fish very long due to their specific diet and reluctance of wild-caught specimens to eat a captive diet. I do believe they mentioned he was captive bred and they strive to stock CBB fish as often as possible. He is very active and fun to watch, almost like a hummingbird buzzing around exploring the tank, and he has the most neon vivid colors of any mandarin I've seen to date.

I think my best (and luckiest) purchase was my male gold-striped maroon clownfish -- he had been there quite awhile because he was born with one eye and no one wanted him, which didn't bother me as he was about 2" inches long and was very active, fat, and healthy -- thus able to function just fine. I got a great price on him, I think I paid $28, and the best part of all was that after only a few hours in a breeder net, my HUGE 4-year-old dominant female GSM clown accepted him right off the bat and refused to leave his side -- so I let him out, and they've been bonded and inseparable ever since. She seems happier than ever and they seem to REALLY enjoy each other's company. I had been thinking it was going to be hard to find an appropriate mate and get her to accept him, and this one just seemed like it was meant to be. My female came from the place I worked at for 2 years and has a lot of meaning to me, so for her to finally have a mate and have the potential for offspring is just awesome.

Living Art is a great place and I highly recommend it.
* Jen *

I live in a zoo...
PinkLady

Postby BIKERRN on Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:32 am

I am fairly new to the hobby and have gotten some things at Living Art but travel to Milwaukee now. I really can't say how Paul is other than I wanted a Clown Trigger called him, told him I wanted one and would PAY up front. No call back, nothing. I would have boughten my sump from him as well, again no one knew anything on a price for me and no call back( I did not talk to Paul on the sump, only his help which are no help at all). So off to Milwaukee with my cash and bought my Trigger and sump.

The help he has seems more interested in bullsh...ing than sales. Twice I walked in wanting to buy but his help just kept jaw jacking with a non paying "customer" while I had cash in hand wanting to buy. A simple "be right with you sir, do you need something now?" would have went a long way.

Customer service 101, as a business owner I would fire his help and get some customer centered help in. I learned this bartending in college long ago from my boss the owner :( . BS with the customers AFTER all have their drinks and the money is in the till!!!!!

My thoughts
BIKERRN

Postby klasikb on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:37 am

Bikerrn sorry to hear of your experiences with the staff. My experiences; which are a great many, have always been top notch and much like pinkladys I have to travel to shop there and usually go to Madison just to shop there. Because of that i have called in the past to check on stock so I don't go when they are low and they have taken the time to tell me exactly what they have. I may have to call back after a while so they can get a list ready for me, but they always go the extra mile and it is greatly appreciated. I only wish they were located in my town, probably good for my wallet they are not.
Sheila
Just a girl trying to create a little bit of heaven on earth, without killing it :)
klasikb

Postby BIKERRN on Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:21 pm

Sheila would love to keep my $ local as I live in the Dells so I travel an hour to Mad Town to get supplies/fish or Milwaukee 2+ hours. I read all the good things about LA but hasn't been my experience, too bad cause this is MY DRUG habit, spend way too much on fish/electric bills but hey my blood pressure is low!!!

Todd
BIKERRN

Postby LIVINGART on Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:57 am

Thanks for the kind words Pinklady and Sheila!

Hi Todd,

First, I'm sorry for the sump situation.... We get busy sometimes and my employee was most likely talking to another customer about their aquarium situation and hopefully not "jaber jawing".

I realize that we are not perfect and do make mistakes, but please be mature and Private Message or call (608)827-6144 and talk to me directly about your complaints/concerns. If we can't resolve the problem then bash us all you want....

When I last spoke with you I told you that I was going to hand-pick fish and I would get you a medium sized clown trigger if they are available. They are not available through my 3 wholesalers. I have tried to get one every week for you, even though I told you that I require a deposit before ordering expensive and hard to sell fish. I have seen no deposit and yet I'm still trying to get you this fish. Clown triggerfish are collected and not manufactured, therefor they are not always available. I told you that I would get you one as soon as one becomes available to me. We would then call you to let you know that it was in and its health status.

I apologize for your past experience with us and I'll be discussing the situation regarding the sump with my employees.
Paul
Living Art Aquarium
LIVINGART

Postby PinkLady on Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:04 pm

Just another bump for Paul and his team -- picked up a group of nassarius snails and an AWESOME bi-color angel that I fell for as soon as I saw it. Thus far I'd been undecided on which angel I wanted and had it narrowed down to 3 species, but once I saw this one, I was done for and knew he had to come home with me. I feel I got a great price @ $40, as he's considerably large (a good 3" or more, the same size as my adult male maroon clown) and very healthy. Since bringing him home he's been active, not hiding at all, eating really great, and decided he likes sharing the bottom cave with my juvie pair of Gymnothorax tile. #-o And as always, the advice and help I received was fabulous. They didn't have the specific polishing pads I use in my canister filter but the associate (sorry, I can never remember your name!) showed me something comparable that is cheaper and thus far works WAY better than the pre-cut Marineland ones I was using. He also gave me advice as to how to get into the pump on my canister and figure out why the output has slowed down. The store was VERY busy when I went in there, but they still made time to get what I needed without making me feel rushed and share some knowledge/chat. As always, an awesome trip and well worth it.
* Jen *

I live in a zoo...
PinkLady

Postby PinkLady on Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:23 pm

Another great experience on Sunday as usual. FINALLY got my orchid dottyback that I've been waiting months for (they always sell out a day or two after getting them in) -- went in and picked one out of two, paid for it, and asked them to hang onto it until Monday since I had to go back to work. Paul gave me a majorly sweet deal on it + the food I picked up, that made my day. I'm totally stoked to finally have my hot pink fish. :D Also picked up more nassarius snails today when I picked up the dottyback, and the staff took the time to show me the different sumps they use and how they work and how I'd go about putting one together, which was a huge help since I have a hard time understanding it. I also got to meet their AWESOME green moray eel that they have in the back room and he is so freakin' cool. They fed him so he'd come out and man is that a HUGE fish! They need to put that guy in the front display tank and nix the other eels, he deserves it! The bi-color angel I picked up a couple weeks back is still doing well, eating great and being very active. He adds a great splash of color to the community and everyone accepted him nicely. Same with the dottyback so far, one quick inspection and back to their usual behavior. Thanks Paul & staff!
* Jen *

I live in a zoo...
PinkLady

PreviousNext

Return to Vendor Experiences