Loan out program.....equipment sharing

The community forum is a place for sharing community items and benefiting the community. Look inside to see different threads with ideas for bettering the community and helping fellow community reefers!

Moderators: BraenDead, nasanek

Loan out program.....equipment sharing

Postby meisen on Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:21 pm

We talked about this a while ago as a club service we could provide...I'd like to revisit it as I think it could be a nice way for the club to make some good equipment available. Probably between all of us we have just about anything anyone could need.

Because the club is larger now I would say that there should be a 100% deposit on the items, its just no fun not to get something back for the next person. People can post in this thread and list what they have to loan out and I'll move it into this post. Try and keep the logistics to pm though and we can keep this thread relatively compact.

Anyway, here is what I have, happy to lend out for a cash deposit of the item's replacement value, you break it (or don't return it in a reasonable amount of time), you bought it though :) :

Meisen:
Milwaukee LUX meter (easily converts to PAR equivalent)
Laser Temp Gun (way more accurate than those cheapie coralife ones....and you can also check flow via seeing if you have hot/cold spots in the tank).
Lots of spare Mag pumps in a range of sizes, I keep a few around just in case.
Aquamedic Fish Trap
TDS Meter
spare pH meter
Lots of spare MH and 48" T5 Bulbs around
Glass Hole Saws (all common sizes, would ask for a few $ per hole as they do get used up with each cut)
Few spare ballast/pendant combos if anyone ever has one fail and needed a temporary replacement. I have an extra T5 fixture around too.
1/4 HP chiller with ranco controller
Diamond Band Saw (this one I ask a frag or small $ donation per use b/c the blades are so stinking expensive). It doesn't get loaned out but I am happy to cut frags for folks on occasion.
I usually have most common plumbing parts and bulkheads of common sizes laying around as well if someone is in a pinch and Living Art or Menard's are closed.
Bunch of different Mag Pumps....3, 7, 12, 18
Masonry Drill (great for drilling liverock or agrocrete)

Folks can post their "haves" in this thread and people who need can pm to set up the details. If it catches on maybe we can make it a sticky.
Last edited by meisen on Thu May 20, 2010 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
meisen

Re: Loan out program.....equipment sharing

Postby meisen on Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:23 pm

saving this spot....
meisen

Postby Rohrermf09 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:44 pm

I have a TDS meter.
Rohrermf09

Postby lotsafish on Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:18 pm

I've got a few sizes of stock tanks if someone has a tank prob, or is switching to another. I think I've got a 100, 150 & 300 gallon.
lotsafish

Postby Landon on Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:40 pm

PM sent. In need of a 1.5" saw for a 3/4" bulkhead.
The Arctic Night-lights. "As if the natural world's been turned upside down." - Lord Mandrake
Landon

Postby Saltine on Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:46 pm

Anybody have a small/medium sized drill press I could borrow? I need to drill holes in a heat sink, would rather not use a power drill (which I have).

I hate the drill bit and taps, so just need the press for clean drilling.
Saltine

Postby Landon on Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:32 pm

Thanks for sending out the holesaw Mark. Haver' back in the mail tomorrow. What a great idea. I'll have to dig through my stuff and see what kind of loaners I have.
The Arctic Night-lights. "As if the natural world's been turned upside down." - Lord Mandrake
Landon

Postby meisen on Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:55 am

Landon wrote:Thanks for sending out the holesaw Mark. Haver' back in the mail tomorrow. What a great idea. I'll have to dig through my stuff and see what kind of loaners I have.

No problem Landon, glad it made it to you so quick.
meisen

Postby ckumlien on Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:12 pm

I like this idea. Is this something each person would keep? Like for example I have a Reef Keeper Lite Head unit spare (value 50 bucks). do I give it up to someone who has a stock room, or do I just hold it until someone needs it?

I also have both a large and small fish trap.

Location is another thing. I am in Janesville. If we track who has stuff, we should track where they are located unless everything stays at one place in Madison.

Also... Shouldn't the club try to turn a buck on this to start a bit of an internal economy?

I know if I was in the need of a mag 9.5 I could pay 5 bucks for rental per week. This would encourage me to get it back to the owner or stock room. Also this would help buy more club related things.

Has this been done before or by any other clubs? How does it work for them? What kind of rules do they have?

I think this should be structured to work out to the club advantage so it does not die off.

ckumlien

Postby Rueg on Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:49 pm

The club has tried several times to get a internal economy going and everytime it has ended up with too many disagreements/arguments on what to do with the money - who would hold it, etc. Some other clubs have really been hurt because of this and it was decided not to do the same thing with this club. Though I am not sure how much money is left to keep the website going - that is the only thing I know of that the money has gone to.
Rueg

Postby Rueg on Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:54 pm

I knew it was listed somewhere on our website. Here is the money we have to keep the website going:
http://www.madisonreef.com/home/siteinfo.php

Appears to be in good shape for a while. :D
Rueg

Postby ckumlien on Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:52 pm

Yes, we are not a structured enough club for this to properly work. We would need to get this going in a way that the house (MARS) always wins. MARS has the spreadsheet of resources and a link to a paypal account.

I wanna borrow a mag 9.5 pump, I learn Jon has a Mag 9.5, lives near me, and wants a 3 dollar per week donation to the club. I know I am going to need it for 3 weeks. I prepay my donation fee via paypal, pick up the pump from Jon and give Jon his requested 50 dollar deposite for borrowing the pump. I am a skeptical character so I ask Jon to show me the pump working before I pick it up. I get the pump home and something is wrong with it, I find the impeller is busted. My fault for not checking it. I replace the impeller so it is in the shape it was described to be in. I'm not happy about Jon, so I post my problem I had on the seller feedback forum (mabye). OR... I just keep the pump and Jon keeps the 50 bucks. Regardless MARS got the donation for the rental. And we discourage people from going around the MARS spreadsheet for borrowing stuff.

I'm sure there would still be problems. I just thought I would take a crack at the worst case scenario.
ckumlien

Postby LegendaryLMoney on Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:43 pm

how much you want for 1 of the ro units?
LegendaryLMoney

Postby Landon on Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:53 am

I didn't give a nickle to the club to borrow equipment from my friend. I gave the nickle to my friend who I borrowed the equipment from. Pretty easy.
Landon

Postby ckumlien on Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:58 am

Yeah, screw the club :shock:
ckumlien

Next

Return to Community Forum