Aptasia and Dead Fish.

Forum for Animart

Moderator: BraenDead

Aptasia and Dead Fish.

Postby Saltine on Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:03 pm

So, I really didn't want to write this... but I have been woefully unimpressed by the conditions that Animart keeps their salt tanks in. I bought a saltwater tank in January 2010- and since then I have seen sickly and dead livestock in their tanks every time I've visited the store (~8 times?). Also, I read that someone posted about this in August of 2009... so it seems as though it is an ongoing issue, at least the aptasia.

Today I went in hopes of finding the final two additions to my tank. On my way in (after oogling at the fluffy puppies with my girlfriend) I passed by the 2 Nano Cubes they have set up in the main area. The SW tank had huge aptasia heads in it! On the way back to the SW tanks, we passed a tank that had fairly large aptasia growing out of the substrate and I spotted aptasia in a few other tanks while browsing.

Eventually I found a Yellow Watchman Goby, something I've been gunning to get in my tank since my cycle ended. I passed up on the lil guy because the conditions of the tanks irked me so much. The YWG looked healthy enough, and had their tanks been in better condition I would have bought him... but the neighboring tanks scared me off.

Customer service was great- but I will only ever buy dry goods from Animart- which are great quality and well priced.
Saltine

Postby Jake on Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:44 am

Last edited by Jake on Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
Jake

Re: Aptasia and Dead Fish.

Postby mattheuw1 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:35 am

You can't really blame a store for having aiptasia in their fish tanks. Who cares....the fish don't. In a live rock for sale tank is another story. As long as they don't have coral for sale with aiptasia or even worse, try to sell the aiptasia, then who cares.

The dead fish should probably be taken care of, but that is another thing that is expected when you buy a lot of fish at once. Some are weaker than others, its not always the fish tanks conditions that kill a fish. It could be the supplier's conditions, shipping, stress etc.
mattheuw1

Re: Aptasia and Dead Fish.

Postby bradnamber on Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:55 pm

I also agree with the horrible conditions at Animart.
This is what happens when you have High School kids working somewhere and they dont know anything about a hobby that is quite in-depth.
When Jake was there, the tanks and livestock looked great. Ever since his departure, the saltwater dept. has steadilly went down hill..
The dead fish are a sign of bad water quality by lack of up-keep and all around knowledge of the hobby.
It just goes to show you if you have 50,000 dollars worth of equipment, it wont make your tanks healthy or look good.
Brad Richards
Richards Home Remodeling: http://richardshomeremodeling.com/
bradnamber

Return to Animart