not impressed

Forum for Living Art Aquarium

Moderator: BraenDead

not impressed

Postby clriafzey on Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:40 am

OK..so..i just wanted to say that after all the good things i heard about this place i was disappointed.were to begin.The fish prices were outragous, the deals they said they had on tanks weren't no deals.there prices were way higher then my lfs.and don't get me started on the coral prices.absolutly rediculous.would never waste my time unless they decided to have a 50% off everything.then i'd think about it.
clriafzey

Re: not impressed

Postby klasikb on Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:54 am

I'm glad your lfs prices are lower. My advice- never go to the Chicago LFS.
Just a girl trying to create a little bit of heaven on earth, without killing it :)
klasikb

Postby Socratic Monologue on Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:22 am

clriafzey wrote:OK..so..i just wanted to say that after all the good things i heard about this place i was disappointed.were to begin.The fish prices were outragous, the deals they said they had on tanks weren't no deals.there prices were way higher then my lfs.and don't get me started on the coral prices.absolutly rediculous.would never waste my time unless they decided to have a 50% off everything.then i'd think about it.

So really, the only complaint you give here is that the prices are too high. Certainly there is more to being disappointed with a business than just prices, no?

I'm curious: what LFS are you comparing LA's prices to? Just the one that you refer to as "my lfs"? Because for prices to be "outragous" and "rediculous" (sic) they would have to be out of line in regards to the common average, I think.
Socratic Monologue

Postby clriafzey on Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:32 am

my lfs is finatics in oconomowoc.There prices are better by far.LAA for example had a coral beauty angel for $48, a scooter dragonet for $16 and a sorry pair of flames for $80 each.crazy prices!there corals are so overpriced compared to any aquatic store i've ever been to, that i bought nothing and left very unsatisfied.furthermore i'm only posting my opinion of the place because i drove a hour and half to check it out and was dissappointed after hearing that they were supposed to be so well priced.
clriafzey

Postby Socratic Monologue on Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:31 am

clriafzey wrote:my lfs is finatics in oconomowoc.There prices are better by far.LAA for example had a coral beauty angel for $48, a scooter dragonet for $16 and a sorry pair of flames for $80 each.crazy prices!there corals are so overpriced compared to any aquatic store i've ever been to, that i bought nothing and left very unsatisfied.furthermore i'm only posting my opinion of the place because i drove a hour and half to check it out and was dissappointed after hearing that they were supposed to be so well priced.

Thanks for providing some facts. I agree that a coral beauty ought to be a bit less expensive, but flames do run $75-$90, from what I've seen in midwest LFSs. Wholesale cost on a flame is upwards of $30, last I checked, and with air freight, higher than average losses (flames don't adapt to captivity as well as other marine fish) and typical LFS markup, $80 is not at all "crazy". Further, many of their fish/inverts are priced very competitively -- $20 cleaner shrimp, $20 local ocellaris clowns, for instance. A $20 retail cleaner shrimp is essentially a no-profit item. They have/had a nice medium blonde Naso tang for $120, which IME is a very nice price on a high-demand fish.

Coral prices to vary quite a bit from store to store, and I don't think that anyone claims that LA is a bargain retailer in that department. They do have a more high-end selection of corals than some notable midwest LFSs (more so than World of Fish in Minneapolis, Hoffers and Fish Factory and Aquatics Unlimited in Milwaukee), so some of your astonishment might be that LA is actually charging regular retail value of corals that are more typically traded at the hobbyist level. LA's $15 frags are pretty nice, too -- nicer selection at that price than other LFSs that actually stock frags (Madison's Pet World, if you consider that an LFS, and Aquatics Unlimited).

You might check out Saltwater Empire in Minneapolis, which is a cutting-edge reef store that opened about 3 years ago. LA actually compares fairly well to them, at least in the livestock department, and that is saying quite a bit, especially for a shop that does FW and SW.

I guess what I object to is summarily writing off a store for one factor, whether that factor be price, employee demeanor, or some other isolated factor. I just think that there are a lot of criteria on which to judge a store (or anything, for that matter), and to reduce the judgment to just one criterion -- especially price, which in a store that deals in living things ought to be one of the least important factors -- is not a good approach.
Socratic Monologue

Postby clriafzey on Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:15 am

Well I'm glad you have your opinion on what criteria i need to use to choose a quality FS.For ME high prices are reason never to return.Why should i pay an outragous price for a flame angel that looks like @hit when i can goto my lfs and pay 55 for a MI Flame.That is were i draw my conclusion from.Like i said already it's just MY opinion.you have yours and you obviously think differently then i do.
clriafzey

Postby LIVINGART on Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:29 am

To add to what Socratic Monologue already said...
We are not trying to be a bargain basement store. There are plenty of those out there if that's what you want. In order for us to provide our customers the quality of livestock and service that they deserve, we must charge the prices that we charge. We carry many less expensive ($15-$25) fish/corals/inverts as well as some rare and more expensive specimens.

"Market Value" varies from place to place.
We do not pull a number out of the sky when prices are concerned.
There are a lot of factors that go into a fish store pricing structure.
In summary, we charge what our customers will pay, otherwise we drop the price until it sells (this is the case in any retail situation).

We are not in the business of ripping people off, so please remove that idea from your brain (clriafzey).
It sounds like you should save yourself from being disappointed in the future and stick w/what you know (finatics).

Paul
Living Art Aquarium
LIVINGART

Postby skanderson on Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:05 am

someone desperately needs to use spellcheck. btw the outrageously expensive anemone i bought yesterday looks perfect. i have over the years bought fish and corals from at least 10 online retailers, multiple ebay vendors, every local saltwater shop that has at least a bit of livestock, and have been to just about every nearby swap. i feel that i am very well versed in saltwater livestock pricing. i have bought 3 regal angels,each for almost 1/2 of the price of what i paid for the one i bought at living art. the living art regal is thriving in my tank while the others are all composting in my garden. i would be thrilled if living art priced things lower, but i understand that quality has its price. thanks for your imput.
skanderson

Postby clriafzey on Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:05 am

first of all Paul i never said you ripped anyone off.Just that in my opinion your store prices are way high.And yes maybe i should stick to my lfs were i know the prices are fare.It also amazes me that after leaving my thoughts on the forum all you people do is rip it apart.maybe joining a club were i can't say what i feel wasn't a good idea.I wasn't typing out my thoughts so that other people could tell me i'm wrong to think the way i do.
clriafzey

Postby Socratic Monologue on Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:20 am

clriafzey wrote:It also amazes me that after leaving my thoughts on the forum all you people do is rip it apart.maybe joining a club were i can't say what i feel wasn't a good idea.I wasn't typing out my thoughts so that other people could tell me i'm wrong to think the way i do.

Um. Well. clriafzey, it was you who started things off by ripping things apart; it was you who started off by using terms of abuse (the ones I quoted above). You began this by ripping apart a local business, one that appears to me to try to communicate positively with MARS members generally. So don't be a hypocrite.

And keep in mind that this is a forum, a place for discussion. Discussion often involves one telling other people why one thinks the other's opinion is one he shouldn't hold. Ideally, a person would give reasons for such criticism (as all posters here have done). You can say what you feel, and if others feel some way about what you've said, they can say what they feel, too.

Relax, okay? It is a nice Sunday afternoon. Take it easy.
Socratic Monologue

Postby Rueg on Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:40 am

There isn't much competition in Madison to drive the prices down - the stores can pretty much charge whatever they want. There is Animart, Living Arts and Pet World for saltwater and that is it - all spread out quite a ways from one another. Many of the stores have gone out of business in the last several years - and there are just the three stores left to choose from.
Rueg

Postby bradhass87 on Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:24 pm

OK my turn to drop $.02.

I am a cheap @ss. There is no way around it thats just me :mrgreen: . Now I would have to say that LA prices on nice large corals are high, but ALL nice large corals I ever see have high prices so I find them very comparable. Since I can't afford the amazing colonies at LA I buy frags. On the price of fish and inverts, I have to say that LA is, atleast to me, well priced. I grabbed a cleaner shrimp when I was there for $19 he looked great there at the store and now after being in my tank for close to a month has molted several times and is about double the size and very very health! I also picked up a Blue Hippo Tang there a few weeks ago for $30 (I lost it to my anemone, but thats another story...), I went into one of my LFS yesturday to find them selling the same size Tangs (about 2 inch) for 69.99 :shock: . That price difference along is a great reason for me to make the drive from janesville to madison, not to mention the knowledge I might gain if I get a chance to pick Paul's brain :D . Now I know that you can *always* find cheaper prices online for fish and corals, but you can't pick out the fish or the coral, you can't see how it's swimming or talk to the person taking care of it. So it's a gamble are you willing to spend the little extra for a fish you know is doing well, or roll the dice for a cheaper price and possibly end up buying two or three trying to get one to survive the trip through UPS? The choice is yours.

For me LA is my #1 "Local" Fish Store. Sure I may pay a bit more, but I ALWAYS leave satisfied!

-Brad
Image Two Hobbies, going fast and playing with saltwater, both very expensive...
bradhass87

Postby beansandmia on Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:09 pm

I am a cheap @ss. There is no way around it thats just me :mrgreen:
=D>

Must not have been to Aquatics Unlimited then. Living Art is a great place, wish they were closer. Prices are prices, depends on how bad you want what is in front of you. They always take care of Mars folk, and others. That makes it worth while. We get spoiled at times what we can can frags for off here. I know I pay to much every time I start looking for new corals. #-o
Proud member of the Madison Area Reef Society
http://www.madisonreef.com
beansandmia

Postby jbm421 on Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:07 pm

beansandmia wrote:
I am a cheap @ss. There is no way around it thats just me :mrgreen:
=D>

Must not have been to Aquatics Unlimited then. Living Art is a great place, wish they were closer. Prices are prices, depends on how bad you want what is in front of you. They always take care of Mars folk, and others. That makes it worth while. We get spoiled at times what we can can frags for off here. I know I pay to much every time I start looking for new corals. #-o

I think all lfs have their ups and downs Aquatics Unlimited has flames for $69.99 but their cleaner shrimps are like $30. I bought a blue spotted jawfish from them for $120 which is around what you find them online with the exception of a few places and it's flawless in my opinion but they also have a 40% off sale every week that rotates with all products and livestock weekly at AU so there is always a time to go there for something in my case. You don't see a lot of lfs doing that do you?
jbm421

Postby sslak on Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:38 am

You get what you pay for.

A living creature is not the same as buying a toaster, where as long as you buy the same brand it is an identical product no matter where you buy it from.

If you don't like the prices, go somewhere else. There's no point in complaining about prices, you are free to shop wherever you like.

If you had a legitimate complaint about quality or customer service, then it would make sense to post it here.
Steve
sslak

Next

Return to Living Art Aquarium