Should i buy my dry goods from foster and smith aquatics??

Post your experiences with local and online vendors.

Moderator: BraenDead

Should i buy my dry goods from foster and smith aquatics??

Postby Uriel on Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:11 am

So here's the link to their website www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com
First off let me tell you guys that the prices are unbelievable.
I'm looking to buy salt mix, sand, test kits, and a hydrometer from their website but the prices seem too low and normally i wouldn't complain but really? check it out. :shock:

Here is the list and prices:
-Master Liquid Test Kit Saltwater: $17.59x = $17.59
-Hydrometer 1.000 to 1.030 specific gravity: $6.69x = $6.69
-Aragamax Sand 30 lbs: $24.99x = $24.99
-Aquarium Systems Synthetic Sea Salt Instant Ocean 200 gallon mix (box): $42.99x =$42.99

Merchandise Subtotal = $92.26
Select Shipping Method: 7 business days ($8.99)
*Current Order Total: $101.25 + $5.57 tax = $106.82 :shock:

At a LPS i would spend $70 simply on a 160g salt bucket??? this seems to good to be true!
Test kits go for $34+
Uriel

Re: Should i buy my dry goods from foster and smith aquatics

Postby Anupam on Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:19 am

They are very dependable.
Anupam

Postby bradhass87 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:39 am

You will find that most people on here go through foster and smith. I like them because the prices are ok, but the shipping is next day for anyone in wisconsin. Another great place to check out is http://www.marinedepot.com and http://www.bulkreefsupply.com.
Image Two Hobbies, going fast and playing with saltwater, both very expensive...
bradhass87

Postby Uriel on Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:13 pm

See i dont get why MarineDepot adds extra shipping to heavy things like salt mix. when foster and smiths has 1 price for everything.
Thanks for the other websites i'll be sure to check them out.
Uriel

Postby barbianj on Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:46 pm

The Drs. are great. Btw, don't waste your money on a hydrometer, get a refractometer instead.
barbianj

Postby bradhass87 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:04 pm

Uriel wrote:At a LPS i would spend $70 simply on a 160g salt bucket??? this seems to good to be true!

Here in janesville two stores have (160g bucket) IO at 39.99 and (200g bucket) Oceanic at 46.99
Image Two Hobbies, going fast and playing with saltwater, both very expensive...
bradhass87

Postby Uriel on Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:20 pm

refractometers are very expensive.
I live in madison maybe thats why things here are a little more expensive?
Uriel

Postby bradhass87 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:37 pm

but they are more accurate, I would suggest getting one.
bradhass87

Postby CUNAReefer on Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:59 pm

You can do fine with a hydrometer. I've always used the deep 6 version. You dont need a refractometer unless you really need to be spot on as you do with a nano reef tank. Saying you NEED a refractometer is like saying you need a speedometer to read to the hundreth of a decimal point just to drive a car.

I would suggest buying you basic dry goods from DFS and buying your equipment from another vendor such as aquacave, premiumaquatics, reefspecialty. Also, please do not buy any coralife equipment. You'll save yourself plenty of headaches down the road.
Dont hate the player, hate the game...
CUNAReefer

Postby Uriel on Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:57 pm

CUNAReefer wrote:You can do fine with a hydrometer. I've always used the deep 6 version. You dont need a refractometer unless you really need to be spot on as you do with a nano reef tank. Saying you NEED a refractometer is like saying you need a speedometer to read to the hundreth of a decimal point just to drive a car.

I would suggest buying you basic dry goods from DFS and buying your equipment from another vendor such as aquacave, premiumaquatics, reefspecialty. Also, please do not buy any coralife equipment. You'll save yourself plenty of headaches down the road.

I will be having a 29g bio cube so its not the smallest but its not the biggest. I've seen a lot of forums say that i would do fine with a hydrometer you just need to be really careful.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll be sure to avoid coralife products.
Uriel

Postby barbianj on Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:22 pm

CUNAReefer wrote:You can do fine with a hydrometer. I've always used the deep 6 version. You dont need a refractometer unless you really need to be spot on as you do with a nano reef tank. Saying you NEED a refractometer is like saying you need a speedometer to read to the hundreth of a decimal point just to drive a car.

Huh, that's odd, isn't the Deep 6 Hydrometer made by.....Coralife???

I still say get a hydrometer. You can get a good one online for around $40, there were some on Ebay for around $20. Or, at least get your hydrometer calibrated.
barbianj

Postby Uriel on Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:15 pm

barbianj wrote:

Huh, that's odd, isn't the Deep 6 Hydrometer made by.....Coralife???

I still say get a hydrometer. You can get a good one online for around $40, there were some on Ebay for around $20. Or, at least get your hydrometer calibrated.

Lol yeah that hydrometer is made by coralife.
I read a bit about "how to calibrate a hydrometer" and i didn't get a thing it said.
Uriel

Postby CUNAReefer on Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:16 am

Sorry. Should have been more clear. I was referring to the lighting, super skimmer, etc. That type of equipment. Cheap hydrometers are fine.
Dont hate the player, hate the game...
CUNAReefer

Postby Sula on Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:15 pm

If you use a cheap swing-arm hydrometer then you need to understand its limitations. It is very easy to get a false reading from one of those due to a tiny air bubble on the swing arm, for instance.
My first degree is in Medical Technology (i.e. "Lab tech") so maybe that's also why I very quickly decided I couldn't live with a hydrometer's variation.
I like refractometers :D

p.s. I think Living Art is pretty close if not a match to Foster's on salt prices.
When on a journey, it is good to have an end, but in the end it's the journey that counts.
Sula

Postby Uriel on Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:27 pm

Sula wrote:If you use a cheap swing-arm hydrometer then you need to understand its limitations. It is very easy to get a false reading from one of those due to a tiny air bubble on the swing arm, for instance.
My first degree is in Medical Technology (i.e. "Lab tech") so maybe that's also why I very quickly decided I couldn't live with a hydrometer's variation.
I like refractometers :D

p.s. I think Living Art is pretty close if not a match to Foster's on salt prices.

I keep hearing of living arts but i've never been there. I'll be sure to check them out soon.
As much as id want to use a refractometer, but i really can not afford them.
Uriel

Return to Vendor Experiences