Any Divers?

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

Any Divers?

Postby Tonis56 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:04 pm

My wife and I will be finishing up our open water dive training this weekend with 2 days of open water dives at devils lake. Maybe some of you have some experiences/advice that you can share.

tony-
Tonis56

Re: Any Divers?

Postby jelly on Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:06 pm

I been diveing for over 20 years . All i have to say is have fun and call me some time to dive
Wounded Warrior Project Alumni.
larger skimmers and calcium reators of all sizes
http://www.aquariumeng.com/index.html#
jelly

Postby BraenDead on Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:25 pm

A late reply is better than no reply, right? I dive a ton, about 150 times a year. Most of the diving is in the area, but have dove the pacific northwest, caribean, san diego, and the keys. Anyways, if anyone is interested in diving, let me know! I also DiveMaster for the Hoofers SCUBA club with UW-Madison, so if anyone is interested in learning to dive or continuing their education, I'd be happy to share my knowledge and experiences.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby NVCichlids on Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:45 pm

I have never officially been "diving" but I free dive in local lakes and rivers. I have been snorkeling in the caymen islands a few years back and have pictures! I would love to get certified, just haven't done the research yet on what is needed.
-Nate
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>
NVCichlids

Postby BraenDead on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:26 am

Nice - let me know if you have any questions on getting certified. In Waukesha, your best bet would probably be Underwater Connections in Occonomowoc or Menomonee Falls.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Tonis56 on Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:34 am

NVCichlids wrote:I have never officially been "diving" but I free dive in local lakes and rivers. I have been snorkeling in the caymen islands a few years back and have pictures! I would love to get certified, just haven't done the research yet on what is needed.

Do it, you wont regret it.

BraenDead wrote:A late reply is better than no reply, right? I dive a ton, about 150 times a year. Most of the diving is in the area, but have dove the pacific northwest, caribean, san diego, and the keys. Anyways, if anyone is interested in diving, let me know! I also DiveMaster for the Hoofers SCUBA club with UW-Madison, so if anyone is interested in learning to dive or continuing their education, I'd be happy to share my knowledge and experiences.

Bob

Bob I would like to get my advanced open water sometime maybe next summer. I would also like to learn to ice dive. We did a few dives in october when we went to Fort Lauderdale and that was pretty cool. We want to try lake wazee next year and also want to do more dives at devils lake to stay fresh on everything. Cant wait to expand my diving knowledge.
Tonis56

Postby woodtool on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:30 pm

I'm a diver too. Love to go anytime. Diversions Scuba is ice diving this weekend if anyone is interested, Picnic Point I believe. Class is offered then as well. They offer great training too, esp. technical training.

http://www.diversions-scuba.com
woodtool

Postby BraenDead on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:37 pm

Haha - yup, Isaac is teaching the class. Hoofers Scuba also has an ice diving class this weekend, although our class has been full with 12 people for some time. Diversions is a great shop, Tami and Isaac are great, as is George, Kim, Elise, and others.

woodtool: Do you ice dive? I go several times a year, if you're interested in joining us I can add you to the list of people I contact when I go out.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby lisadaley on Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:13 pm

I'm a new diver. Cert. October of this year. My husband and I did several dives in the BVI, a ship wreck dive was by far our favorite - we did the Wreck of the Rhone on Scrubb island. I got addicted to diving quick and want to keep going. I recently bought a lot of gear so that I can do some dives in WI (yeah after the BVI that's going to take a bit of research on the best dive spots!) but haven't really tried to get anything retail. I know of the shop in Men. Falls and Oconomowoc. Is there a place in Madison that services and sells gear? Maybe Diversions does - I just haven't been in there if they are a shop. Also want to continue with diving. AOW is next on the list, but I definitely want to try Ice Diving soon. Soon probably means next winter though. For cost and best training - which local places are the best for the next few certifications? Are there local dive clubs like the MARS group that anyone knows of? I know Hoofers and Diversions do some stuff. Also intrigued about local search and recovery once all the certs are in place but i've found you really need to be part of the local fire departments, and that's not really my thing. Anyone know other places to do this?
lisadaley

Postby BraenDead on Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:25 pm

lisadaley wrote:I know of the shop in Men. Falls and Oconomowoc. Is there a place in Madison that services and sells gear? Maybe Diversions does - I just haven't been in there if they are a shop.

Diversions is a 100% scuba shop - best place in Madison to buy gear, get air fills, in my opinion. They are open till 6pm mon-saturday.

lisadaley wrote:Also want to continue with diving. AOW is next on the list, but I definitely want to try Ice Diving soon. Soon probably means next winter though. For cost and best training - which local places are the best for the next few certifications? Are there local dive clubs like the MARS group that anyone knows of? I know Hoofers and Diversions do some stuff. Also intrigued about local search and recovery once all the certs are in place but i've found you really need to be part of the local fire departments, and that's not really my thing. Anyone know other places to do this?

There are a few different clubs you can look into. If you are a UW-Madison Memorial Union member, Hoofers SCUBA is a great club. If you aren't a union member you can join for $50/year, although you might not want to go that route. For classes, diversions offers classes all the time, and Hoofers offers classes throughout the year as well. You will need AOW before taking the ice diving certification as it is a prerequisite. I've dove dozens of local lakes/quarries/rivers/etc and can tell you about lot's of places. There is some good diving in Mendota, you just have to know when to go and where. Devils lake isn't bad either. There is awesome shipwreck diving in Lake Michigan - I like diving with Jerry on the Len-Der. Lake Wazee is a great place to check out, as is Pearl Lake and Haigh Quarry. Further north, Fortune Pond has some of the best visibility you can find without going to the ocean, and it is better than some ocean diving I have done too. I'd be happy to take show you and your husband some of the spots, I dive several times a week. Just let me know if you're interested once it thaws outside.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby lisadaley on Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:13 pm

Wow, thanks for all the info, Bob!! I would love to dive with you some time. Let me qualify that - I would love to dive with you when it's just a bit warmer!
I found an awesome website that had the shipwreck dives on it http://www.wisconsinshipwrecks.org/explore_map.cfm I can definitely see us going to Sturgeon Bay/Door county area for some dives. I did a late October Lake Mendota dive here once, it was cold and murky, but it must not be that way all of the time? I heard Devil's Lake was good too. Haven't heard of a lot of the ones you mentioned, so i'll definitely put those on the list. I'll get in contact with you again when it's warmer and see what kind of dives you're getting into!
lisadaley

Postby woodtool on Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:50 pm

Spring time is the best around Madison, right when the lakes flip over. Isaac at Diversions will start doing Thurs. night dives soon as the ice is off. You can rent a 7 mil wetsuit and it'll keep you pretty warm even in 40 deg. water. I tell ya though, a drysuit was the best investment I've ever made. Water is in the 30's down deep in Lake Michigan at the wrecks well into June. Doesn't get much over 45.
woodtool

Postby widiver on Thu May 12, 2011 12:40 pm

The Four Lakes Scuba Club is having it's Stake in the Lakes Dive May 14, 15 and May 21,22 in the local lakes. Their Dive for DAN is June 4.
The locations and Times are on their website. http://www.fourlakesscubaclub.org Look on the calendar page.

everyone is welcome
John
John Fafinski
Every Hour is Happy Hour
widiver

Postby jelly on Thu May 12, 2011 3:11 pm

where is the nearest place to janesville the does dive classes?
Wounded Warrior Project Alumni.
larger skimmers and calcium reators of all sizes
http://www.aquariumeng.com/index.html#
jelly

Postby woodtool on Thu May 12, 2011 3:15 pm

I was out in Monona by the Terrace Tues, May 10 and vis was ~3ft. Looked like mud Wed though with all the rain.
woodtool

Next

Return to Club Lounge