Just a heads up.

Pet World in Madison, WI

Moderator: BraenDead

Re: Just a heads up.

Postby SPSKeeper on Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:39 pm

Grizzly old guy, it's not the actual iron oxide that is toxic. Its the chromium and various other metals from the refining process that you have to look out for. Sorry to have 'poked' the bear, didn't mean to stir up this much trouble..
SPSKeeper

Postby Jake on Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:10 pm

Ahhh, I'm just reminiscing.... :P

I can personally see both sides of the story because I've been on both sides. I tend to think that a lot of people don't understand how hard it is to care for so much livestock making a meager salary and dealing with all of the customers and trying to get things done in the store. Often times the store's own management doesn't have a clue what the fish guy actually does. It's not like saltwater will ever make a store any substantial amount of money. There is no margin.

From the LFS employee's point of view a razor blade in a fish tank is so small of a deal compared to trying to get an employee to top off the sumps while you're out for one day or lowering nitrates in 1000 gallons of water or getting help cleaning the tanks or fixing some junk busted equipment that the store doesn't want to pay to fix. Ordering all the fish and corals. Getting everything labeled. It just isn't easy and no punk kid working at the pet store with you is going to help you out. Every time you turn around they're slacking off. Eventually, most fish guys get frustrated and quit.

From the consumer's point of view.... Saltwater stuff is expensive and you want to get what you pay for. It's really easy to walk into a store and pick it apart. Especially if you're a seasoned reefer. It does make me uneasy when I walk in and it is REALLY bad. The fact is that not everything is going to be sweet so you better get good at cherry picking the various outlets in town and the internet.

This is my opinion on Pet World.
I go there for the bonded filter pad by the foot for my sump. It's the best price in town and the only place that I know that even sells it. The other dry goods like the carbon and supplements are priced very well. The corals look well fed and there are some really choice pieces. The prices are really high on the corals. Myself; I pretty much just buy coral one time a year at the swap anyway. The invert prices are right in line and the selection is alright. The fish are priced well. I would not buy a fish from there.
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
Jake

Postby SilvrStar7 on Sun May 22, 2011 12:57 pm

And THIS guy is representing a business? Wow. Just...wow. I had my doubts about them before, but after this...no thanks. BTW Pet World...medium crickets are NOT supposed to chirp. :x
SilvrStar7

Postby Rslinger on Mon May 23, 2011 10:29 am

Your reading a old thread but I have been to pet world a few times lately and I would say the defiantly have more stock and the kinda stuff you want to buy. It was always nice and clean
Rslinger

Postby SilvrStar7 on Mon May 23, 2011 12:38 pm

Well unless that dude isn't there anymore, I'd prefer not to shop there. Actually I'd prefer not to shop there at all anyway, whether or not the dude is there...the way they treat their livestock is disgusting.
SilvrStar7

Previous

Return to Pet World