Diving photos from Great Barrier Reef

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

Diving photos from Great Barrier Reef

Postby BraenDead on Sun May 15, 2011 7:19 pm

If anyone is interested, here are some of my diving photos from the great barrier reef (11 dives on live aboard boat over 3 days):

https://picasaweb.google.com/1128453833 ... directlink

And one other set of pictures from a dive I did off Byron Bay, an hour south of Brisbane:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1128453833 ... directlink

Sorry for the photo quality, I didn't touch up or adjust colors on any of the photos. It was quite an amazing time seeing everything on the reefs!!

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Re: Diving photos from Great Barrier Reef

Postby Sula on Sun May 15, 2011 7:43 pm

Very cool stuff, Bob!
Tell me the truth - were you ever tempted to just snip off a branch of some of those sps colonies? They are incredible......

p.s. how close was that shark....?

p.s.2 my favorites so far are the videos of the sea turtle and the ray.......
When on a journey, it is good to have an end, but in the end it's the journey that counts.
Sula

Postby BraenDead on Sun May 15, 2011 7:52 pm

One of the sharks was about 6 inches from my face. I was playing with the camera and didn't realize that it swam rght at my face - gave me a shock when I noticed. The other shark about 2-3 feet away at the closest. They were white tip reef sharks and grey reef sharks, so only 4-5 feet and 5-6 feet long, nothing too crazy. And yes, I was looking at all the SPS every where (and they were much more colorful than the camera could capture) and seeing dollar signs like crazy. All those thousands and thousands of Acropora - it wouldn't miss a few tiny little pieces!! Ah well, didn't want to spend time in jail either. I may need to purchase some Aussie SPS from Live Aquaria now...

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby barbianj on Sun May 15, 2011 9:20 pm

Awesome, just awesome! :D
barbianj

Postby diverdown on Thu May 19, 2011 8:08 am

So, was Julian Rocks as awesome as I remember it?? Those reef sharks are curious guys too. I was snorkeling with a friend right before we left, and I tried to point one out to her, but she was looking the other way. The shark came right up to take a closer look at my finger and startled me...now, I know it wouldn't have killed me, but I still kinda like that finger...
diverdown

Postby BraenDead on Thu May 19, 2011 8:15 am

Julian Rocks was pretty awesome, though the visibility was poor (as you can see in the photos) compared to what they are used to having. I would guess it was about 15-20 feet of visibility. In fact, because the visibility was so poor (by their standards), they cancelled the previous two days dives. This resulted in me only being able to get the one dive in, which I was thankful I was able to get considering it was the last day I was in Byron Bay.

Overall though, the life and the diving on the great barrier reef was much better and cooler than Julian Rocks in my book.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby SilvrStar7 on Sun May 22, 2011 10:55 pm

Wow...fantastic photos!! My boyfriend and I were just in Australia at the beginning of the year, and we drove from Melbourne up to about Beerwah...got stuck in the horrible flooding up there and we were not even able to make it up to Cairns and the GBR. When did you go? We were told that even if we did manage to get up there, the massive amounts of flooding were washing so much sediment out into the ocean it would have made it impossible to see anything anyways. We did get a big fat check from travel insurance though, so we'll be back up there someday. :)
SilvrStar7

Postby BraenDead on Mon May 23, 2011 7:24 am

We were up there from April 30th to May 13th. Spent most of the time in Brisbane and in Cairns. The diving in Cairns was fabulous, no issues from the flooding or anything. The dive operation I was with said that they had a lot of cancellations around the time fo the floodings, but they said that there were out every day and the floods never affected diving on the reef at all. It's far enough from shore, and 1100 miles north of Brisbane, that it just didn't affect that at all. Hope you do get out there again though! If you're diving in Cairns, I highly recommend Pro Dive Cairns.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Return to Club Lounge