DIGITATE HYDROIDS

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

DIGITATE HYDROIDS

Postby Uriel on Wed May 18, 2011 11:43 pm

So I just discovered them today. I've had them since I bought 2 cured pieces of LR. I just thought they were worms and was amused by them at night.
Today while doing some random research I came across a picture that looked exactly like my "worm" and decided to read up on them.

Now I know they are bad. ](*,)

What's your guy's experience with Digitate Hydroids?
Do they actually sting bad? I probably have gotten stung by them and didn't make a big deal about it since I was unaware of them lol
Uriel

Re: DIGITATE HYDROIDS

Postby Rueg on Fri May 20, 2011 9:34 am

I had hydroids in a previous tank a long, long time ago. Don't have that tank anymore. But the ones I had - had a hard calcium based shell and didn't move. They used to sting the crap out of my hands - would get welts that would ooze. They hurt and itched at the same time. Yours sounds like a worm? Is it actually a worm - like a bristle worm? Or is it more like a tiny little feather duster. Mine were like tiny little feather dusters. I remember I used to break them apart and my sailfan tang loved to eat what was left. Can you provide a link to the picture you found?
Rueg

Postby Uriel on Sat May 21, 2011 12:32 am

Rueg wrote:I had hydroids in a previous tank a long, long time ago. Don't have that tank anymore. But the ones I had - had a hard calcium based shell and didn't move. They used to sting the crap out of my hands - would get welts that would ooze. They hurt and itched at the same time. Yours sounds like a worm? Is it actually a worm - like a bristle worm? Or is it more like a tiny little feather duster. Mine were like tiny little feather dusters. I remember I used to break them apart and my sailfan tang loved to eat what was left. Can you provide a link to the picture you found?

See thats what i don't get mine look like worms. I know for sure its not a bristle worm, mine are pale white, fuzzy, spaghetti like, they extend at night, and are quickly multiplying. here are some examples:
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.p ... t&id=33564
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj20 ... ydroid.jpg

And then some pictures like this show up and i do NOT have these:
http://www.greymatter.org/gallery/album ... ydroid.jpg

maybe i have the wrong type of hydroids? LOL!
Uriel

Postby MM on Thu May 26, 2011 9:16 am

Hydroids should not be a problem for you. I think this is one of the many pest myths of the internet. They can explode in tank that lacks diversity of fauna but this is symptom not a cause. This is why I like to get fresh uncured live rock into my systems now and then increase my diversity. In a balanced system with a diversity of critters they are a bonus.

- Mark
MM

Postby Uriel on Thu May 26, 2011 5:59 pm

MM wrote:Hydroids should not be a problem for you

Even if they are multiplying?! Will they eventually go away?
I mean aslong as they don't sting anything I don't mind them at all. I'm just a bit worried because I have a bunch of soft corals and those obviously take stings harder :/
Uriel

Postby MM on Thu May 26, 2011 8:22 pm

this is not something that will cause a long term problem. You should be bringing in some corals and rocks from the ocean that have never been "cured" if this means drying on a rack in the sun. If cured means put into a tank so that animals that are going to die anyway will die before they get to your tank that is OK. For a small tank a rock of zoas or some other coral with a good size clean rock direct from the ocean will bring tons of species of micro animals. You need to have as many varieties of small animals in your tank that you can get and then a single species or two will not dominate your tank. Most tanks with lots of rock and sand have various hydroids. The internet gets people paniced about all these little animals and scares them into doing harmful things like boiling rocks or placing them outside in the sun or adding some crazy chemical to your tank. You want live rocks in your tank. The big picture, you know the forest not the trees, or worse a knat on one of the trees and not even the trees.

- mark
MM

Postby Jake on Tue May 31, 2011 9:31 pm

You are reading too many internet forums. :)
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
Jake

Postby Uriel on Tue May 31, 2011 9:38 pm

Haha, I think so too. I'll try to avoid them :P
Uriel

Postby lumpus on Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:51 pm

FYI...Norton on my computer blockeet the photobucket site as a 'known malicious site'.

Those are pretty! Too bad they would eat my red vocanic shrimp :-(
I may look like I'm not doing anything, but on the cellular level I'm quite busy...
lumpus

Postby Desy148 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:10 am

Hi, I happened to see the topic. This is what I was looking for
Desy148

Return to MARS General