180G Build

Threads that cover tank builds or tank progress for MARS members

Moderator: BraenDead

180G Build

Postby Tonis56 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:06 pm

Back at it once again. This time taking a different route. Bought a 180g RR. I decided to make my own stand and canopy from scratch. This tank will be a community tank with some softies and other things like that. Here is what I've got so far.

I designed the stand to bear the weight and transfer it to the ground, instead of relying on the fasteners and glue to bear the weight.

The first picture is of the base (right) and the top (left) where the tank will sit.

Here you can see where I notched the 2x6's to bear the weight of the top.

Gluing everything together. Needed a couple shims to make it square.

Finished skeleton.

Fuel.

Mock-up with 180g

I built my own doors as well. Front door with front cabinet face attached.

Another of the door and cabinet face.

Building the face for my canopy.

Skip ahead a couple weeks. Stained canopy

Underside of canopy doors.

One of the stand doors.

Stained and sealed stand.

Another view.

From the back.
Tonis56

Re: 180G Build

Postby jelly on Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:26 pm

your doing a great job on your stand congrates. i only have a few questions.
1. y did you use a 4x4 off set up front instead of a standard 2x4.
2. y did you use 2 2x6s on the back
3. whats with the styro foam.
Wounded Warrior Project Alumni.
larger skimmers and calcium reators of all sizes
http://www.aquariumeng.com/index.html#
jelly

Postby Socratic Monologue on Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:51 pm

You missed:

4. y not a decent beer? :D
Socratic Monologue

Postby Tonis56 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:08 pm

jelly wrote:your doing a great job on your stand congrates. i only have a few questions.
1. y did you use a 4x4 off set up front instead of a standard 2x4.
2. y did you use 2 2x6s on the back
3. whats with the styro foam.

Because I had an extra 4x4 from the old stand.
I used the 2x6's on the back because they were left over from building the legs and extra rigidity cant hurt
The Styrofoam will help absorb any type of vibration. Also will help if the stand is not completely level, on the top side. It was free and once again why not if its there.
Tonis56

Postby jelly on Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:29 pm

styrofoam sounds like it will help but it could also make issues. it will crush down and when it does how are you to know if its crushing evenly. i know lots of people say to use it but there are just as many if not more who say not to. i would read up on it before using it. dont want a new set up to get messed up cause of styofoam.
Wounded Warrior Project Alumni.
larger skimmers and calcium reators of all sizes
http://www.aquariumeng.com/index.html#
jelly

Postby bradhass87 on Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:07 am

Wow, it looks awesome tony. I'm jealous especially since it looks like I'll be selling all of my livestock for now...
Image Two Hobbies, going fast and playing with saltwater, both very expensive...
bradhass87

Postby Tonis56 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:43 pm

Thanks Brad. Its coming together slowly. I think I am going to buy dry rock instead of making my own. I just dont really want to wait a couple months for the cement to cure in fresh water before I use it. Whats going on with your tank that you need to sell your live stock?
Tonis56

Postby cpandrewschmidt on Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:54 pm

Lookin good Tony. Keep pics coming. Glad you got some use out of the old stands' wood. New stand looks much better!

On the styrofoam issue. I read lots on reefcentral about it. Seems most people recommend something to take out any uneveness of the wood/floor. how thick it should be is another question. I just used real thin stuff, like 1/4 think. Not sure its really doing anything. Doesn't seem to help or hurt.
180 gallon mixed reef
cpandrewschmidt

Postby Tonis56 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:36 am

Thanks Andrew. Ive done tons of research on the foam and what I got out of it is this: No one can really prove that there are any issues when it is used properly, the key word is properly. One important note is to not use it under the middle of the tank, just the edge/rim. As the weight load is spread out on the edge. If the tank were to sink down the foam in the middle would be pushing up on the bottom of the tank and that would not be good. I originally used some 3/4" stuff, last week I got some 1/2" and Iike it better. The crush on the foam is minimal if at all. I agree with you, it makes me feel better that there is a sort of buffer in there. It just comes down to personal preference really. The stand is nowhere near perfect but it is going to work for what I need it for. Ill keep the updates coming. Its just pretty slow going right now....
Tonis56

Postby Tonis56 on Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:03 pm

Time for an update.

A couple weeks back I picked up a used light setup and adapted it to my system. Its 3x175w MH and 2x36" 96w VHO T12s. I will most likely be adding led moon lights at some point.
I also took advantage of BRS black Friday sale. Got a 5 stage plus RO/DI system for $169.99 that included all the bells and whistles one could need.

I built the lighting frame out of old shelving that was at my work.

Plumbing

More plumbing

Initial test run with freshwater did show a couple leaks that have since been cleared up.

Thats all for now. Hope to be up and cycling in a few weeks. I am in need of some sand and rocks. Looking mostly for dry rocks and sand.
Tonis56

Postby O&J'sdad on Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:12 pm

Nice clean plumbing.
O&J'sdad

Postby Tonis56 on Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:11 pm

Thanks Jason. Learned it from the best. Hows things with your setup going?
Tonis56

Postby bradnamber on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:05 pm

Wow! Nice to see your back in it again Tony!.. lol.. we all knew you wouldnt be out for long..

As for the building of the stand (not sure if anybody has seen the stand i built for shoota), i agree with using foam, espically having a DIY stand, and not built in a mill shop. The only thing i chose to do differently in his, is I put a piece of veneer between the foam and the tank, so as to stop any un-even settling of the tank onto the foam. The plumbing is nice and clean as well.

Congrats on getting something going again
Brad Richards
Richards Home Remodeling: http://richardshomeremodeling.com/
bradnamber

Postby Tonis56 on Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:13 pm

A little update. I have been monitoring my parameters very closely for the first month. I reached the 4 week mark of my cycle yesterday. I do have a diatom outbreak on the sand at the moment.

Just checked my parameters tonight again after a 20 gallon water change on friday. Here is what ive got so far.
SG=1.025
pH=8.2
NO2= 0 mg/l
NO3=5 ppm
PO4=0 ppm
dKH=9.6 Maybe a little concerned about this? Any input?
Ammonia=0 mg/l
Tonis56

Postby Tonis56 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:25 pm

Here are some updated pictures. I got some more rock last week and also about 50lbs of aragonite sand.

Here is a cave that I built. It is supported by some 1 1/4" pvc and eggcrate

Tonis56

Next

Return to Tank Builds and Tank Profiles