40 Gallon Project

Threads that cover tank builds or tank progress for MARS members

Moderator: BraenDead

40 Gallon Project

Postby Landon on Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:17 pm

The last six months of my life have been pretty crazy. (The good kind of crazy. :shock: )

I've been planning a router table strictly designed for acrylic fabrication for some time. About five months ago I put together a "dream list" of items from Rockler woodworking. I recently received the last items on my list and am ready to build the new table. I'm confident this new table will produce edges that will lead to consistent bubble free, super strong joints.

I'm also having glass cut for a rimless tank. I'll be building this soon after the router table is finished. The tank will be a nano. Dimensions will be roughly 30"Lx16"Dx16"H.

I'll be building a sump and overflow for this new tank. Not to sure at this point if I'll even set it up when all is said and done. I have a good friend that is learning a ton about reefing using a starter system, if he makes it through the school of hard knocks and graduates as a master reefer, something like this might be right up his alley.

Anyway... I'm looking forward to the whole thing.

Pics to come... :idea:
Last edited by Landon on Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Arctic Night-lights. "As if the natural world's been turned upside down." - Lord Mandrake
Landon

Re: Acylic and Glass. Time to start crafting.

Postby meisen on Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:31 pm

OMG awesome Landon, can't wait to see what you do with this thing! =D>
meisen

Postby Sula on Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:18 pm

Yes, I am looking forward to some updates as well :)
When on a journey, it is good to have an end, but in the end it's the journey that counts.
Sula

Postby Landon on Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:26 am

I'm hopeful that Santa will bring me some goodies to help move things along. I fried my impact driver and busted my Kreg jig so I'm hoping that replacements for these won't be far off.

I've contacted my local glass shop and also Lighthaus. Getting pricing for:

Option 1 : 36x16x16 Finished Dimensions (3/8 Thickness)
-­‐ All Dimensions are in Inches
-­‐ [S]=Starphire [P]=Plate
-­‐ All edges polished
Front: 36 x 16 (S)
Back: 36 x 16 (P)
End 1: 15.25 x 16 [P]
End 2: 15.25 x 16 [P] Bottom: 35.25 x 15.25 [P]

Option 2 : 36x16x16 Finished Dimensions (1/4 Thickness)
-­‐ All edges polished
Front: 36x16 (S) Back: 36x16 (P)
End 1: 15.5x16 [P] End 2: 15.5x16 [P]
Bottom: 35.5x15.5 [P]

Option 3 : 30x16x16 Finished Dimensions (3/8 Thickness)
-­‐ All edges polished
Front: 30 x 16 (S)
Back: 30 x 16 (P)
End 1: 15.25 x 16 [P]
End 2: 15.25 x 16 [P]
Bottom: 29.25 x 15.25 [P]

Option 4 : 30x16x16 Finished Dimensions (1/4 Thickness)
-­‐ All edges polished
Front: 30x16 (S) Back: 30x16 (P)
End 1: 15.5x16 [P] End 2: 15.5x16 [P]
Bottom: 29.5x15.5 [P]

We'll see how things shake out.
The Arctic Night-lights. "As if the natural world's been turned upside down." - Lord Mandrake
Landon

Postby Landon on Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:20 am

The numbers are in.

Option 1: $250
Option 2: $168
Option 3: $225
Option 4: $123

I think right now option 1 is looking real good. Just need to think about lighting a bit and will make my decision.
Landon

Postby Sula on Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:55 am

Is the only difference between option 1 and 2 the thickness of the glass? I wouldn't have thought there'd be that much of a jump to go from 1/4" to 3/8"...do you think at that size you really *need* the thicker glass or do you just like the added security?
When on a journey, it is good to have an end, but in the end it's the journey that counts.
Sula

Postby Landon on Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:21 pm

Sula wrote:Is the only difference between option 1 and 2 the thickness of the glass? I wouldn't have thought there'd be that much of a jump to go from 1/4" to 3/8"...do you think at that size you really *need* the thicker glass or do you just like the added security?

I feel that I need the thicker glass for extra safety, our house is pretty small and this thing will get bumped for sure. I would really like to build it out of acrylic but am a bit worried about the scratch issues in our crazy house.
Landon

Postby kevinmichael77 on Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:28 pm

I can't wait to see the finished product. Wish I was handy enough to build my own tanks, course if I could I'd probably have a basement full of them already.

KMR
kevinmichael77

Postby Landon on Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:08 pm

Router table is almost done. Just need to install the router plate and will be all done. Will have some pictures one night this week. Happy new year!
Landon

Postby SiLkk on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:26 pm

Landon your tanks are awesome! I am about due for a new tank setup myself.
Nanocube 12 gallon Deluxe started on Feb 1, 2009
http://www.madisonreef.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6173
SiLkk

Postby Tonis56 on Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:15 pm

Looking forward to updates. Your setups are always top notch.
Tonis56

Postby Landon on Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:34 pm

Driving me crazy. Had a "must do" bathroom remodel come up. Will have some cool updates in two weeks. Thanks for the kind words guys.
Landon

Postby Landon on Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:56 am

Router table is ready to rip. :mrgreen:
Landon

Postby Landon on Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:23 pm

Wow. Been a while since I updated here. Been a super buys landscape season, and its only halfway done.

I've been gathering speed on all the goodies for the 40 gallon tank I'll be setting up.

Been very patient and picking up some cool stuff, its driving me nuts not to jump right in but will need a little bit of Fall to hit to make everything work.

So far I've picked up:

40 Breeder

Icecap 250W SE pendant and Icecap ballast. Gonna run a Radium. Not gonna have any t5's with this to start with. I have a ballast and some pieces, just wanna try the Radium alone for a bit.

Reef Octopus Needlewheel skimmer, grabbed it from a patron on reef central, little crusty but the guy said it skimmed like a champ.

Bought some kickin dry rock from a MARS member last week. (Thanks! Awesome rock.)

Hoping to get a Mag7 return pump this weekend.

I still have all my RO/DI stuff just waiting in the wings.

Turns out I have a bunch of real nice pieces of acrylic sitting around that will make a real nice simple sump for this system. Gonna run the pieces and start construction this weekend it looks like.

I still have to order a overflow from glassholes, was just gonna build one but their price seems awful good for what you get, I was happy with the 300 gph overflow I picked up from them a while back, gonna go with the 700.

That leaves water movement. I think I would like a Vortech MP40 but not completely sure. I'll be keeping mainly zoas and lps (or thats what I tell myself anyway ;)) I have no experience with the Vortech stuff, anyone shed some light on this a bit? Suggestions on size?

Heres what I see everytime I walk past my basement steps.... I'll never make it to Fall.
Landon

Postby rvlockhart on Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:32 pm

MP40 will work great just can't aim them so you might want to think out your rock work before making your decision.
rvlockhart

Next

Return to Tank Builds and Tank Profiles