Sump Custom Build

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Sump Custom Build

Postby Zachh455 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:55 pm

Hello! I have a few questions about custom building a sump for a 55 gallon tank. Does anyone have a link to a good design? Any advice on what size sump I should use? What I'd really like is to have space for a small refugium as well as a skimmer, if that's possible. On another note, what skimmers (brand/size) do you suggest for this size reef tank? I'm completely new to sumps and skimmers, so any advice would really be appreciated :D .
Zachh455

Re: Sump Custom Build

Postby Sula on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:19 am

When you say custom, do you mean you are making one out of a smaller tank?
When on a journey, it is good to have an end, but in the end it's the journey that counts.
Sula

Postby Zachh455 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:06 am

Yes, I have a feeling I wouldn't be able to make a very water tight sump haha I'm not a big DIYer
Zachh455

Postby shoota on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:31 am

Hmmm. Not sure what you mean about water tight. Here is a link to Melevs with lots and lots of info and sample designs, etc. Should provide some direction for you... This is what I followed when I built my sump / fuge. http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html
shoota

Postby Zachh455 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:22 pm

By water tight I mean able to hold water without leaking
Zachh455

Postby Zachh455 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:12 pm

Thanks for that link that website is extremely helpful! I'll be drawing some plans up for a while, I'll keep you updated!
Zachh455

Postby Landon on Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:29 am

Zachh455 wrote:Hello! I have a few questions about custom building a sump for a 55 gallon tank. Does anyone have a link to a good design? Any advice on what size sump I should use? What I'd really like is to have space for a small refugium as well as a skimmer, if that's possible. On another note, what skimmers (brand/size) do you suggest for this size reef tank? I'm completely new to sumps and skimmers, so any advice would really be appreciated :D .

Hi There,

I've always felt that ideally the size of your sump should be as large as the space you have to keep it in. Keep in mind that you will also want to have room to work in the sump, so make sure you have plenty of room to get your hands in from the top.

I would recommend constructing your first sump from an Aqueon or similar glass aquarium. Custom sump construction with acrylic requires some pretty fine construction skills and a collection of tools and materials that can be pretty costly. Mocking up baffles in an existing aquarium is much quicker and yields great results.

Heres an example of the sump I ran for years. I originally adopted this design from Toddah and loved it. Worked great. This was constructed from a 40B, glass was cut for me at Baker Glass in Fort Atkinson, their prices are great.

Heres an example of a sump I constructed from Acrylic. Pretty similar really, just a different set up for how the water entered the tank.

As far as skimmers go their are a ton of options. People love or hate their skimmers for a number of different reasons. I tried seven different skimmers while I was actively reefing and when it was all said and done, I found that the Super Reef Octopus skimmer I used, the SRO-1000INT was my favorite skimmer. I only had one of their skimmers so not much model comparison but it was pretty darn easy and produced great skim.
The Arctic Night-lights. "As if the natural world's been turned upside down." - Lord Mandrake
Landon

Postby Tonis56 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:33 am

I think I have the one that Landon is referring to. I bought this from Todd (toddah) a few months back and it works great. I had to lengthen the first chamber to fit my skimmer though.

Tonis56

Postby Zachh455 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:03 am

I've done a few measurements and I've found that most traditional sizes of tanks wont fit under my stand. #-o The width I have to work with is about 11" and length 48" with not much I can do to make the space larger. This is what brought me to want to build my own, but I have no experience in it so I have no idea the difficulty of it. Very nice pictures, I love the simplicity.
Zachh455

Postby ObeyMyDog on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:51 pm

Zach,

I find myself in a similar boat trying to understand and design my first sump too. I don't have any working knowledge of this, so hopefully someone with experience can speak the this theoretical I just mocked up.

Would it be possible to do something like this with two 2 gallon tanks. Those are only 10 or 11 inches wide.
2 10gal Sump.JPG
2 10gal Sump.JPG (26.78 KiB) Viewed 410 times
ObeyMyDog

Postby Landon on Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:08 pm

That would work. You'd want to pay special attention to the levels in the tanks when the power to the pump is cut and make sure everything would balance out and not flood the lower tank.
The Arctic Night-lights. "As if the natural world's been turned upside down." - Lord Mandrake
Landon

Postby Zachh455 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:29 pm

it's funny, that's almost the exact same thing as my drawing. I was thinking I would build a stand next to my display and put the fuge there, possibly adding seahorses to it in the future. It says two 2 gallon tanks, Did you mean two 10 gallon tanks? Would a larger skimmer fit in a 10 gallon tank? If so, I think I will make that my setup.
Zachh455

Postby ObeyMyDog on Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:31 pm

yup, two 10 gallon tanks is what i meant. :)

I don't know much about skimmers yet, but I think it just depends on how much water it needs to sit in to function.

It would certainly need some fine tuning and a safety built in somewhere to keep the whole thing from overflowing too.
ObeyMyDog

Return to MARS General