Anyone been to Hawaii?

Talk about anything and everything non-club and non-reef related

Moderator: BraenDead

Anyone been to Hawaii?

Postby shoota on Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:03 pm

I'm plannin a trip to Hawaii this summer and lookin forward to some snorkelin and such... I'm wonderin if anyone been there and willing to share some suggestions, recommendations, tips, experiences, etc..

Staying 4 days at Waikiki and then 8 days in Kaanapali on Maui.. we will have a car, so open to anything... thanks!
shoota

Re: Anyone been to Hawaii?

Postby shoota on Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:05 pm

Bah, this probably shoulda been more suited for the lounge area of forums. If mod wants to move, go ahead plz, I don't wanna make duplicate posts..
shoota

Postby Rueg on Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:04 pm

Went there about 10 years ago for our honeymoon. The best snorkling we did was when we just took the public transportation (bus) to a local beach and walked in off the beach. Very wavy in Hawaii - at least when we were there - all the time. Be prepared for that - takes a bit more work to snorkle. Too many people and too wavy at Hanama bay - but worth checking out if you are interested. A lot of people though.
http://www.hawaiiweb.com/hanauma-bay-na ... serve.html

Since you are going to be on Ohau - be sure to take a tour of Pearl Harbor.

Since you are going to be at Maui and renting a car - be sure to check out the road to Hana: http://www.roadtohanatour.com/index.htm ... Kgod_hwbdA
Rueg

Postby skanderson on Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:56 pm

ive been to oahu, big island, and mauii twice in the last 5 years. for oahu i would highly recommend a day at hanauma bay that is a park right up the coast around diamond head from waikiki. it was great for snorkling and close to waikiki. pearl harbor can be a pain to get into. the aquarium in waikiki is very nice as well. great outdoor lookdown clam tank. venturing furthur afield i really liked the north shore of oahu. if there is fairly calm surf conditions i found that 3 tables was a nice shorkling beach. also on the north shore there is a very nice arboretum at waimea right across from the bay. i really preferred maui to oahu. much quieter. a snorkle trip out to molokini crater is great. sunrise at the summit of haleakala is mind blowing but you need an early start and a coat. the best snorkling from shore on mauii is supposed to be the beaches near makena state park. one of the beaches there is a nude beach so be careful if bringing kids. i loved the drive up to the iao needle and the nakalele blow hole. if you have any questions please feel free to ask. almost forgot one the the best parts. i love the road to hana so much that im looking at real estate in the area. also mamma fish house is pricey but a meal that you wont ever forget in a great site.
skanderson

Postby skanderson on Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:00 pm

just a quick comment about the surf conditions it isnt always wavy there. surf tends to be bigger in the fall/winter and on the north side of the islands. hanauma bay is quite protected there. 3 tables is one beach over from bonzai pipeline but when i was there the waves were too small to bodysurf on so i went snorkling. when in doubt be careful and dont turn your back on the ocean. also asking locals about where to dive on a particular day may be a good call.
skanderson

Postby shoota on Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:07 pm

Thanks for all the info guys. I thought I remember seeing pics from your Hawaii trip in the last few years skanderson, so I was hoping you would hop in here and give me some insight. Thanks again. I'll def let you know if we have any questions as we start to plan more.
shoota

Return to Club Lounge