125g build

Threads that cover tank builds or tank progress for MARS members

Moderator: BraenDead

Re: Slowest tank setup in history :)

Postby angieg1123 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:33 pm

Oh My....spent a few hours today removing rock from the 65g tank to remove all of the baby kenya trees....I will never get another one of them! There was not a single piece of LR in the tank that did not have atleast 1 kenya on it..grrrrr. Moved all of the clean rock to the 125g tank and got the rock stacked. I took all of the kenya's to the LFS and got a $50 instore credit which I promptly spent in Rod's frozen foods for the new corals that will be here tomorrow, a new cyclop-eese freezer bar, a huge can of prime reef, and some chaeto. That took care of my instore credit but I did not have to spend any cash so that was a fun trip :) You gotta love walking in with something you don't want and walking out with something you do want. It's now 10:30 PM and I am going to scoop out the fish and put them in a bucket while I scoop out the sand bed to clean it and add it to the 125. IF I am careful I should be able to get the fish in there tonight as well. Not expecting any cycle at all since the sand, 65g of the 125g of water, and the 75 lbs of live rock are from the 65g. Almost done....keep swimming......just keep swimming.......

Angie
I'll frag mine if you'll frag yours :)...All of the best gardens are underwater.
angieg1123

Postby shoota on Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:28 am

Keep it up! Slow and steady wins the race :) Good luck!!
shoota

Postby angieg1123 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:54 pm

Done. Just waiting for the cloudy water to clear :)
Attachments
IMG_0241.JPG
IMG_0241.JPG (75.96 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
IMG_0238.JPG
IMG_0238.JPG (81.27 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
IMG_0227.JPG
IMG_0227.JPG (62.2 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
I'll frag mine if you'll frag yours :)...All of the best gardens are underwater.
angieg1123

Postby angieg1123 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:01 pm

I did lose 1 fish....my spotted mandarin became lunch for my anemone :( I think he got disoriented in the new tank and swam right into it. The anemone should not need fed for a month, since my mandarin was FAT! He ate frozen mysis shrimp...Now why couldn't the yellow tail blue damsel fish have swam into the anemone?? Go figure. I seem to be missing a peppermint shrimp as well, but they are know to crawl into a hole in the rocks so he / she may show up yet.

Now all I have to do is clean up the old 65g tank and list it for sale. It is empty. I just have to clean the glass and get the last 1/8 inch of water out of it and the sump.

Angie
angieg1123

Postby jelly on Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:55 pm

looks good. did you add a hole or two for the cover that you made for the lights. with them being 250s and that close to the water you will want the holes for air movement.
Wounded Warrior Project Alumni.
larger skimmers and calcium reators of all sizes
http://www.aquariumeng.com/index.html#
jelly

Postby angieg1123 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:42 pm

Yes there is a BIG hole...the canopy has no top or back :)....It is temp. canopy untill I build the other one. I so LOVE my new setup... I think the next additions will be a school of Anthias. Now I just get to sit and wait for my 19 frags to grow. Geesh they are tiny little things.
angieg1123

Postby angieg1123 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:57 pm

Well the tank is coming along well, besides the fact that the scratches are driving me crazy. I see a new tank in the very near future. Hate the thought of pulling everything out and swaping tanks, but it has to be done.

Right now I am crossing my fingers that karma does not come and kick me in the butt. I am a firm believer in a QT tank. I purchased a Powder blue tank about 3 weeks ago and he / she has been in QT till 2 day ago. The QT tank was kinda small so I did not keep him in there as long as I would have liked. (I prefer 6 weeks for tangs because of the Ich issues) He is HUGE and seemed to be going stir crazy in the 20g long that I use for QT.

He / she is beautiful and my first ever powder blue. Only other tangs I have had are the yellow and an Achilles years ago. So far no signs of ich and it eats like a pig. I am feeding Formula foods along with seaweed selects w/ garlic. I also feed the tank frozen Mysis soaked in Garlic Extreme 3x a week.

No agression issues or problems so far. My daughter named all of the fish...the Pow. Blue is now Known as Bubba since it is soooo fat lol.
Attachments
2012-01-23_15.55.24[1].jpg
2012-01-23_15.55.24[1].jpg (175.95 KiB) Viewed 1005 times
2012-01-23_15.16.36[1].jpg
2012-01-23_15.16.36[1].jpg (221.65 KiB) Viewed 1005 times
angieg1123

Postby angieg1123 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:06 pm

Fish in the tank and their names

Male Perc - Marlin
Female Perc- Coral (of course)

Yellow Tang- Sunny D.
Yellow headed gobie- Ellie
Flame Angel- Chili
Yellow tail blue damsel- Rip (due to the fact he rips the fins on new fish we add)

That is it for fish....we did lose the spotted mandarin fish....his name was Skit (skittles) he swam into the anemone the first night in the new tank :( Poor guy just wasn't familiar with the new tank set up.
angieg1123

Postby gammer_100 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:58 am

Looks great! When I had a blue powder him and my yellow tang got along great!
Travis
gammer_100

Postby angieg1123 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:10 pm

!@#$% Tuesday I was feeding the tank and noticed a few spots of ICH on the powder blue tang. First thought...oh crap! Second thought, OMG I do not have a Hospital tank larg enough for ALL of my fish.....off to Craigs list to find an approprite sized tank to house all of the fish for 3 months...GRRRR. Best I could come up with that I had room for was a 30g breeder that is 36" long 18" wide and 13" tall. So I got the tank on Wednesday...filled it with tank water and added the appropriate amount Cupramine. Added an extra large round airstone and a rena xp3 filter. No carbon just the sponges and bio stars. Thank goodness I keep the sponges in my sump for just this purpose :)

Then came the hard part....catching all of the damn fish in the 125g fully stocked reef tank. Took about an hour for me get all but the flame angel, sleeper gobie and the damsel. I came to the conclusion I was going to have to rip it apart to get the last 3 fish out. I removed all of the corals and 90% of the rock but I FINALLY got them all. NOT a fun day. They are all in the hospital tank and being treated. I have never had to deal with ich before, so I am making sure I do not have to do it again. They will all remain in the hospital tank for 3 months and the tank will be fishless untill then. :(

All are eating fine so far and I made sure to feed frozen myisis with garlic extreme this morning. I know 8-9 weeks is sufficient, but 12 is just extra insurance at this point. Now that I can really see all of the fish, the flame angel and the yellow tang seem to have ich as well. Not horrible, but it is there.

Since I will not adding any fish for 3+ months, guess I will just have to consentrate on adding Corals :)...Another frag swap it coming up in March. Could be worse...it could be flat worms or something worse. Had those once a long time ago in a seahorse tank. PITA to get rid of 100%.

VERY sure I will never shorten a QT time again because the fish looks "unhappy" in the small tank. Trust me....he is even less happy covered in ICH!
angieg1123

Postby angieg1123 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:52 am

Since all of my fish are in QT / hospital tank...I figured now was the time to do some upgrades. I ordered a SWC 180 to replace the asm g2 skimmer. I also ordered 2- 1" Sea Swirls and a refractometer. Still debating if now is the time to empty the scratched display tank and purchase a new one. Buying the new tank is not an issue....getting it to my house, (not going to fit in my Rav4) getting the old one out and the new one and installed is the issue. At 5' 0 and 105 lbs....6ft glass tanks are heavy! If we could lift the damn thing it would have been replaced already, lol.

Now if it was summer I would invite everyone over for BBQ and beer for a tank moving party, LOL. Maybe I will have to wait and do just that :) I live in the country on 15 acres so we have some great summer parties.

Angie
angieg1123

Re: 125g build

Postby angieg1123 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:20 pm

Ok I finally got off of my butt and built the Canopy for the tank. Here are the pics. The front flips up and stays up for access to the tank. Glad that is done!

I also added a second DI filter to my RO unit...hopefully that will help with the algae issue in the tank. It has been fishless for over a month so nutrients should be quite low, yet there is still hair algae.

I did get one of the 1 inch seaswirls installed as well. I will install the 2nd one when I install the hang on OF box....the standard overflows in the AGA can not handle the water volume of 2 mag 12's :)
Attachments
IMG_0310.JPG
IMG_0310.JPG (172.47 KiB) Viewed 900 times
IMG_0309.JPG
IMG_0309.JPG (142.85 KiB) Viewed 900 times
IMG_0307.JPG
IMG_0307.JPG (121.2 KiB) Viewed 900 times
angieg1123

Postby angieg1123 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:21 pm

I added a new anemone to the tank today. H. Magnifica (ritteri) I am well aware they are one of the most difficult to keep. I previously had one for 5 years and it did very well for me. I ended up selling it along with the breeding pair of clowns that were hosting it when I took down the tank due to a move. Since I spent the better part of the past 6 years as a seahorse slave I have not had the time to keep up with a full reef tank. Now that the seahorses are gone and the reef is here...I figured now was a good time to get another one. I will post some pics of it tomorrow and I will also try to locate some pics of the old one I used to have.
angieg1123

Postby angieg1123 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:45 pm

Pic of OLD Heteractis magnifica about 4-5 months after I got it....coloring up after being bleached out and sickly. Because it was so bleached I started it out under PCs then T5s Then 250w Halides and eventually 400w halides....was a long process but it was worth it in the end. I also started its feedings with mysis in an eye dropper ( no pumps on for 30 mins) ...then chopped shrimp, clams, then chopped silversides.
Attachments
102_2792.JPG
102_2792.JPG (183.69 KiB) Viewed 853 times
angieg1123

New Magnifica

Postby angieg1123 on Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:07 pm

Here is a pic of the new Magnifica.
Attachments
IMG_0322.JPG
IMG_0322.JPG (192.09 KiB) Viewed 842 times
angieg1123

PreviousNext

Return to Tank Builds and Tank Profiles