How long does bacteria live on rock?

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

How long does bacteria live on rock?

Postby ReeferDude on Tue May 08, 2012 12:44 pm

I just moved my tank and fired it up. My live rock was out of the water for a couple days, but my live sand I just realized was always wet. As I fired the tank back up (no live stock) I cant keep the ammonia up. I tried to add pure ammonia to get it to 2 ppm but it goes back down quick so I am assuming my sand it still alive and well and maybe some rock. I am just curious now how long the bacteria may live. I know there is still bacteria in the tank because the constant dropping of ammonia. Anyone have an idea.

Yesterday morning I added ammonia and in the after it tested at .5 ppm so I added more. This morning it tested at .5 ppm again. Tomorrow I will add Dr Tim's and add 3 lbs of Premium Aquatics crude, so I am sure it will drop to 0. I will add more ammonia and test again along with nitrites, but my cycle should be finished after that.

FYI if you guys have never tried Dr Tim's one and only, that stuff is crazy good.
ReeferDude

Re: How long does bacteria live on rock?

Postby SPSKeeper on Wed May 09, 2012 10:32 pm

That's definitely a puzzler... The rock should have had a fairly large die off if they were out of water for a few days, unsure about the sand. Moving tanks is never easy or fun. Was anything inside the tank before the move(i.e. corals or fish)? If not try adding some frozen foods to start the cycle. If the rock was mature some of the bacteria could have survived but need a little more info like how long it was up before the move and if it was Live Rock to begin with?
SPSKeeper

Postby MM on Thu May 10, 2012 9:36 pm

Your rock could be launched into space by an asteroid hit, travel three million light years through the absolute zero temperature of space, pass through another planets atomsphere and the small piece that did not burn up on reenty onto the alien planet would seed that planet with your bacteria. pretty sure. :shock:
MM

Postby ReeferDude on Fri May 11, 2012 12:01 pm

So the long and short of it is it is still there ;-)
ReeferDude

Postby MM on Fri May 11, 2012 1:54 pm

LOL, pretty sure. - mark
MM

Return to MARS General