Tickles 40 breeder build

Threads that cover tank builds or tank progress for MARS members

Moderator: BraenDead

Re: Tickles 40 breeder build

Postby tickle on Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:01 pm

Boom! heatsinks finally came in, i only run these at about 60% tops and reefkeeper is on its ramp down right now so these pics are probably somewhere in the 10-20% range. I started using a double fan configuration instead of a single fan. Little more blueish in person but I am 100% happy with my coloration that im getting.

SO TIME FOR SOME PICS!!!!

little longer exposure time and a little more true to its in person color

tickle

Postby tickle on Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:07 pm

Just decided that im going to be going with one of these http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/makersled-de ... nal-grade/ fixtures from makersLED, these things just look sick, with one 24 inch fixture i should be able to mount all my units on one piece seeing as its twice as wide as my heatsinks and then that will also help tidy the hood up, not that you see it but its just nice to have it as a all in one inclusive fixture and then ill be able to suspension mount it when i get a bigger tank and then build a second one.
tickle

Postby Zachh455 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:13 am

Looks nice, I like the color in that last picture.
Zachh455

Postby tickle on Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:16 am

I've actually got it dialed into a more blueish now. Slot more color in person. I think I may build a 3rd strip or string that runs uv in the 430nm range, some red in the 630 and maybe try and vet some more coverage in between.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
tickle

Postby tickle on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:25 pm

Still going through the cycle phase, but keep finding more and more unknown corals everyday and they all seem to be doing extremely well and are all showing nice colors and nice extension despite only running the lights at 50%. Still looking for someone with a par meter, also getting a bigger heatsink in the next couple weeks, I think im going to do one wide heatsink as opposed to 2 smaller ones, hopefully this will give me more surface area and make it easier to cool.

In the next week or 2 here im also going to be converting a old 55 i have into a phyto/pod culture tank with 3 dividers for pods and another 5 or 6 for phyto, I havent seen this done but i have this laying around and kind of want to try it out.
tickle

Postby tickle on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:26 pm

Still going through the cycle phase, but keep finding more and more unknown corals everyday and they all seem to be doing extremely well and are all showing nice colors and nice extension despite only running the lights at 50%. Still looking for someone with a par meter, also getting a bigger heatsink in the next couple weeks, I think im going to do one wide heatsink as opposed to 2 smaller ones, hopefully this will give me more surface area and make it easier to cool.

In the next week or 2 here im also going to be converting a old 55 i have into a phyto/pod culture tank with 3 dividers for pods and another 5 or 6 for phyto, I havent seen this done but i have this laying around and kind of want to try it out.
tickle

Postby tickle on Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:06 am

So running the whites at 75% and blues at 60% and after 2 weeks my birdnest has already starting popping.out new branches and its midway through the tank and my hammer is on the sanbed and its just thriving. I thinks the lights are sufficient :)

the phone in my hands
tickle

Postby tickle on Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:58 pm

heres a little update seeing as I havent updated in a while now. Fragstock happened yesterday and I got some killer pieces and spent less than 40 bucks so im just tickled pink lol

Wall Hammer0 Ive had this for a couple months now

War coral from the swap

Pink birdie I picked up from a lfs that was bleached horribly

My ORA green birdie making a comeback it took a beating

Ricordea from the swap

Blastos from the swap

Purple Tip Valida from the swap

Metallic Green Birdnest from the swap? IDK if this is a birdie or not someone wanna confirm

Mystery softie I got for nothing

Blue Shroom from the swap. This was before I got it glued down

anyone know what kind of urchin this is?

The FTS Image

I think everything is coming back together after the tear down, the ORA green bird is even looking alot better, for some reason I had a lemon peel angel that would only pick that coral and none of the others idk if it was because it was in poor shape from being in a makeshift setup temporarily but after I rid myself of that it seems to be making a steady comeback. I got all the lights up and operational again and even managed to build a refugium light that is kicking some ass here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_IAbnvFDmk&feature=plcp

Hopefully Ill be closing on my new house in a week or 2 and then the real fun begins :)
tickle

Postby sslak on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:26 am

tickle wrote:I went with the reefkeeper because the light setup Im building will work better with it. And because of the price, I won't say but it was sub 100 brand new: )

I've been running a ReefKeeper 2 for about 5 years now without issue, and I thought it was extremely easy to configure. The only minor problem is the display doesn't glow as bright as it used to when it was new.
Steve
sslak

Postby johntroxel71 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:29 am

I think your build looks great. I especially like that u put links to your diy led. That has me wanting to make my own.
johntroxel71

Postby tickle on Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:26 pm

sslak wrote:
tickle wrote:I went with the reefkeeper because the light setup Im building will work better with it. And because of the price, I won't say but it was sub 100 brand new: )

I've been running a ReefKeeper 2 for about 5 years now without issue, and I thought it was extremely easy to configure. The only minor problem is the display doesn't glow as bright as it used to when it was new.

I figured out that when I was trying to do the setup that the DA website was down and it was constantly trying to connect and it made the software seem buggy. I havent has a single problem since then and I couldnt be happier.

johntroxel71 wrote:I think your build looks great. I especially like that u put links to your diy led. That has me wanting to make my own.

Hey thanks, I try to give people a couple different ideas and also let them know that this isnt my brain child.
I will say though that rather than 2 separate heatsinks im going to update and go with one 5x24 heatsink. Heat dissapation right now OK but Im looking to add some cree in the 420 and 620 range and then also get some orange and try and simulate a sunrise/sunset effect rather than going right from main lighting to moonlighting.
tickle

Previous

Return to Tank Builds and Tank Profiles