info on Duncan corals

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

info on Duncan corals

Postby 2kids1dog on Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:35 pm

I was wondering if I could get some info on keeping Duncan corals..I've read quite a bit on various websites but would like input from people who actually have them and could share some hints on them. This purchase will probably be down the road for me as I'm most likely going to try to find a higher output light for my tank (I have only have a dual bulb HO T-5 on there now) I have read that Duncan's don't need a lot of high intensity light? Maybe the T-5s will work--my zoos are doing fine in there right now.
I have a 30 gallon right now..it's only 16" highx12" deep.....I'm running a cannister filter and do not have room for a skimmer (tried that, too big for my top to fit on) My parameters are all looking good every time I test, have had issues with Nitrates that I can't seem to get lower than 20 most of the time :( The few times I was able to get to almost no Nitrates my zoos seemed to act funny and did not look as healthy...weird huh?
Anyhow, I love hearing back from more experienced folks on here...so let me know what you can....thanks!!!
2kids1dog

Re: info on Duncan corals

Postby Mpiv on Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:55 pm

I've had a Duncan for a little over a year and is one of my favorite corals. I would say it is very undemanding. T-5s are enough light and they seem to be somewhat tolerant of elevated nutrients, at least short term. My tank had an outbreak of some sort of slime algae about 9 months ago, all of the corals started closing up and receding except the Duncan and zoas. I would say they are very hardy.
If you target feed they grow very fast, if you don't they seem to grow slow.
That is my expierience.
Mpiv

Postby 2kids1dog on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:52 am

Thanks for replying!! Did you have your Duncan higher on your rockwork or on the bottom?
2kids1dog

Postby Mpiv on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:48 pm

It's on the bottom 1/3 of a 75 gal under a 4 bulb t-5 retrofit.
Mpiv

Return to MARS General