Pay It Forward Frags

The community forum is a place for sharing community items and benefiting the community. Look inside to see different threads with ideas for bettering the community and helping fellow community reefers!

Moderators: BraenDead, nasanek

Pay It Forward Frags

Postby nasanek on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:58 pm

Pay-It-Forward Coral Propagation:
We are starting a pay it forward (PIF) frag trading program

The basic idea is someone donates a particular coral frag with the idea that the person(s) who get said frag will grow it out giving to others, who will in turn give frags to others, etc. It’s a little bit like a pyramid scheme, but in a good way.

Goals of program:

- share corals amongst members at no cost thereby doing what we can to limit the strain on natural reefs
- provide a backup system for frags in the event of death of a member's colony

Rules of program:

- any recipient of a PIF frag will be required to offer the first two frags of this item back to members at no cost before selling future frags for profit
- if a donor's colony perishes, any member having an offshoot of the item shall offer a frag to donor at no cost
-donors are able to designate more specific rules for their own frags if they choose. Examples of more specific rules could include; only giving frags to members that have been in MARS for a minimum amount of time, or have posted a minimum number of times. Donors could also require specific housing requirements, etc.
-PIF frags are available to any MARS member, but it is completely at the donor’s discretion who will receive their frags
-All donors and recipients will be recorded and listed in order to track PIF frags

Why bother doing this?

The idea behind PIF is to help spread coral species throughout the region. This will hopefully lessen the impact of taking corals from the oceans as well as help spread diversity throughout the area. The original aim for PIF was a way to push a non-greedy way of helping get corals out there to people. Getting a coral fragment from a local farmer, means less of an impact on the oceans. A great many of the "abundant" corals are not in any way mari/aquacultured since it's still profitable to hack them out of the seas.

Ok fine, so how do I get some free corals?

The main goal of this program is propagation.
While you will get "free corals" this is not what this program is about, this is about sharing with others. Inevitably there will be a "greed" factor that seems to permeate, especially with more desirable corals, but you have to understand the idea is that more will be offered. Each PIF coral should grow exponentially (ideally), so while it may take some time, the coral will be offered again. This program is NOT about stocking your empty tank with new corals for free. PIF is about growing a renewable resource and making it available for others for free.

Ok, I have corals I'd like to donate, who do I give them too? What do I do?

• Start a new topic in this forum and type in all the gory details.
The thread should include:
• Topic Title: A brief name/description of the coral in the topic you make. ex: LPS - Green Lepastrea; SPS - Blue Millepora
• Give a bit more detail description of the coral in the body of the message. Mention what lighting you have it under, how high in the tank it is, the flow conditions, feeding care, or anything else that you might think is relevant.
• Post a picture. Don't worry if it's not the best, just give an idea of the overall color/shape of the coral.
• Number of frags offered, dates frags were distributed, and screen names of members that received frags. This archived account will be kept for each PIF lineage to allow future trading and back-up for donors.

I don't have a Limited Edition or otherwise rare corals though.

Doesn't matter, this program is not about distributing rare corals. If that happens, all the better; however, what is needed is a sharing of all corals not just rare ones. You have those brown mushrooms, offer them up; just don't be sad if no one wants any.
Life is a comedy for those who think... and a tragedy for those who feel.
~Horace Walpole
nasanek

Re: Pay It Forward Frags

Postby nasanek on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:01 pm

I was planning on kicking this off with a couple green nepthea frags, but the 2 I cut managed to detach from the plugs they were on. I'll try again and hope to post them up here soon.

Thanks!
Nick
Life is a comedy for those who think... and a tragedy for those who feel.
~Horace Walpole
nasanek

Postby MadCityReefer on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:00 pm

I know first hand this can be a very exspensive hobby so I'm willing to donate some Kenya Tree, Platinum Star Polyps, and Pulsating Xenia. To some this is a hobby but to most fellow hobbyist this is an addiction!! :lol: :twisted:
KEEP ON REEFIN ON!!
tank build: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12927
MadCityReefer

Postby denita on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:40 pm

Id be willing to donate trade or however it works.... i have tons of brown pylops.kenya trees n mushrooms
Sail em, or Sell em!
denita

Postby godsworkinprogress on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:58 pm

I love the idea of this, my tank is fairly new but I am not....been doing reef tanks for years now. At the moment, I have pulsing xenia and kenya, that I could frag. I received these from another MARS member when I first set up my tank, so I love the idea and would be happy to join in.
Mickey
godsworkinprogress

Postby omar23 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:00 pm

Is this still going on?
omar23

Postby R33f3rMadn3ss on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:12 am

ive got a piece of red monti cap i can throw up on here if anyone wants. would love to see more up here, also interested in something new myself. :D
I reserve the right to at any point have my fish eat your fish.....
R33f3rMadn3ss

Postby melkor on Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:52 am

This was an incredible idea! Sad it seems to have just tapered off. I am in Tomah and once I have anything fragable I think I'll help promote this worthy progam!
melkor

Postby luxauterna on Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:26 pm

Love this idea. I have a metric crap ton of pulsing xenia i can give away as well!
luxauterna

Postby R33f3rMadn3ss on Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:30 am

Have a green chalice frag I'll throw up here, mother colony originally from Tony.
I reserve the right to at any point have my fish eat your fish.....
R33f3rMadn3ss

Postby denita on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:31 am

R33f3rMadn3ss wrote:Have a green chalice frag I'll throw up here, mother colony originally from Tony.

Still have? Ill trade

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk
Sail em, or Sell em!
denita

Postby denita on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:32 am

omar23 wrote:Is this still going on?

Have anything to trade

Sail em, or Sell em!
denita

Postby Onslaught6241 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:08 pm

denita wrote:
omar23 wrote:Is this still going on?

Have anything to trade

Pink with blue polyp crusting monti. :) been thinking about chunking a bit off since its getting so big.

I noticed another thread where you were looking for Zoas, did you manage to snag some?
Onslaught6241

Return to Community Forum