Tile for acans

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Tile for acans

Postby Longinus on Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:41 pm

After a trade and the swap, I have found myself in possession of a few acans, two of which are not on tiles but are just loose and some I just want to frag onto tile. Does anyone have a good local source for reef-safe tiles to grow out acans on? I dont need huge ones, and can cut em down pretty easily.
-.-- -.-- --..
Longinus

Re: Tile for acans

Postby starboard on Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:23 pm

Any local hardware store. :)
starboard

Postby Longinus on Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:21 pm

starboard wrote:Any local hardware store. :)

I suppose I should have asked what type of tiles people prefer as well, lol. Ive seen a few types in use and I know that many are fine as long as they are not glazed tiles, but does anyone have a type they prefer thats porous and grows coraline nicely?
-.-- -.-- --..
Longinus

Postby MM on Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:38 pm

Are you growing these to frag or for display?

If for display I would mount to a live rock or to a closed brain dead coral that will allow the coral to grow into a large display colony over the next couple of years. If for fragging my favorite way to mount them is to slabs cut from live rock or from dead closed brain corals. If you want a tile, search Ebay for frag supplies and four by four frag mounting surfaces. You don't just want to buy tiles from the hardware store that will be hard to cut and may not encourage the coral to grow across them. Sounds cocky I am sure but I believe I pioneered a lot of these acan mounting and fragging techniques. Let me know what your goals are and i will add some more tips as I left out a lot of tips here not knowing what your goal is.

- Mark
MM

Postby Longinus on Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:46 pm

I want to make a few frags to grow out, and I want to mount the others for display. I actually like having my displayed acans on the large tiles since it makes it so easy to move them about as my tank changes and I get more acans as well, I also just like how they look on a tile for some reason. Pretty much everything I have I want to grow out right now, since I plan to upgrade my tank in a month or two, hopefully before the Janesville swap.
-.-- -.-- --..
Longinus

Postby MM on Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:39 pm

OK, for a display acan I find a rock about 12 to 18 inch rock and mount four individual heads evenly spaced on the rock and let them grown into each other. I also cut the heads thin so they dont have a large lip to grow down on to the rock.

For tiles I place one head in the center of a four inch tile just as I described above. A ten head mini colony i make ten heads and I only do this for a awesome A++ grade one in a hundred killer acan, but then I will make a ten head frag ten single heads and grow out the tiles. Some of the tiles I sell for big dollars, at least 100$, and the others i frag out to single heads more tiles.

For display really there is nothing like an 18 inch rock covered with acans worth over a thousand dollars that was grown from a few heads. Not many people can brag that kind of success.

Oh, and to find some tiles ask Bill from Eye Candy he knows someone that makes these or can make them for you.

- Mark
MM

Postby Longinus on Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:38 pm

Awesome, thanks so much for the input mark, I think I will try that with a few of my frags as some of my acans have awkward heads around them that could use some evening out. A giant acan covered rock could be fun since they seem very happy in my tank so far.
-.-- -.-- --..
Longinus

Return to MARS General