Celebrating success

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Celebrating success

Postby MM on Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:12 am

I have been working on optimizing a simple inexpensive culture technique for aiptasia eating nudibranchs for several years now. Most techniques i have tried have had spotty success. One batch of fifty and then a couple failed batch. Recently I have been consistently getting batches of fifty which is high enough to go commercial when I am ready. I am still experimenting though and I have two promising techniques underway right now and to my shock one of them has produced a single batch that really pushes me over the top if I can repeat it. I have been trying to get a good count but there are so many I cant do it. The first attempt i counted 180 knowing there were more. A few nights ago I removed one hundred of the larger ones and added a bunch more aiptasia. As the babies get bigger it is easier to count and tonight after removing 100 I counted close to 400. One batch that large is beyond what i thought possible. If this repeats I will be ready to commercial soon and bigtime on these. The last time I talked to large distributors they were paying 500$ per hundred. I am going to increase my aiptasia colonies and tank number and when they are mature i will hit go and find a large buyer.

What this means for you is while I am doing this you can get them from me with no shipping costs and cheaper than they are on line. On line they range from 150$ to 200$ per 10 shipped. I can sell you a ten pack for 100 with no shipping and throw in a couple extras while we are at it.

- Mark
MM

Re: Celebrating success

Postby SeeingGreen on Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:25 pm

Congrats mark!
SeeingGreen

Postby MadCityReefer on Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:56 pm

Hey nice job Mark!!
KEEP ON REEFIN ON!!
tank build: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12927
MadCityReefer

Postby starboard on Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:44 pm

Great! Does that mean the price goes down?
starboard

Postby MM on Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:23 am

thanks all. :) it is really funny that when you work on stuff like this there really is no one to talk to about it. Bring it up at work that nudibranch colony has had a break through and you get a few odd looks. Tell you girl friend and she wants to know if they are going to be in every room of the house with an eye roll. :roll:

thank God for the internet. The internet makes the world small enough that you can always find someone that understands what you are talking about. The thrill of five hundred hungry baby nudibranchs is just lost on most people.

I know they are expensive. The price will never be as low as what i sell to the larger buyers which is five dollars each. So they will always work out to something less than ten and more than five. Just cant do much better than that. People think they are expensive until they need them and try to buy them online. Ten online will be 150 dollars to 200 dollars shipped.

- Mark
MM

Postby R33f3rMadn3ss on Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:08 pm

My wife always rolls her eyes or scoffs at anything fish, car or gun related, I feel your pain mark! :D
I reserve the right to at any point have my fish eat your fish.....
R33f3rMadn3ss

Postby Steamrolled on Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:43 pm

Congratz Mark and tbh I think $10 for anything is pretty cheap for anything in the reef business. Hope all goes well for you and glws. Gotta pay for what you want right!
Steamrolled

Postby MM on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:54 pm

I side note, that batch i thought might be 200 nudis turned out to be over 400, LOL I think i am on to something. - Mark
MM

Postby nooch1019 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:08 pm

Congrats, Mark. Keep up the amazing work.
nooch1019

Postby MM on Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:27 pm

:)
MM

Return to MARS General