New to MARS

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

New to MARS

Postby snelson220 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:33 pm

Hey everyone,

I just joined the forum today and wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I am fairly new to aquariums. I have had tanks for about two years now and saltwater for a year. It has been an interesting journey thus far to say the least but I am addicted that is for sure.

Right now I have a 75g reef tank that is more like a FOWLR than reef at this point since as I moved in Jan and crashed the tank and lost everything for the most part. It sucked but it was a hard lesson learned. I am running a 30 gallon sump with octo skimmer, two 300w heaters and eheim 1262 return pump. I have an apex running most of the tank and I absolutely love it. It is a new addition that I just picked up about 2 weeks ago and I am hooked it can do anything. I have about 40x flow in the tank right now after one of my powerheads burnt out and I have an 8 bulb t5ho I am using for light with four super blue wave points and two reef waves and two coral waves. I am running two BRS dosing pumps doing auto water changes at about 2% a day. My levels are all 0 as of last week when I checked them last. Mag I think was 1350 CA 480 and DKH 9.5.

My other tank is a 55g FW cichlid tank. I would like to set it up as a marine tank also but as of right now the wife don't want another one running in the main living area of the house. I will be building a sump room as I finish my basement at this house so I will have lots of room for extras and will be able to have tanks running in the family room in the basement. I want to get a large tank and I am working on getting a 300 if I can there are two I know of right now available one I found on here. I had an opportunity a few months ago to get a free 400 from a friend moving and couldn't take it with but passed and kick myself for it all the time.

That's me in a nut shell don't have as much experience as a lot in the hobby but I have learned a lot along the way and keep researching and learning more all the time.
snelson220

Re: New to MARS

Postby salmonshutters on Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:31 pm

Welcome!!!
salmonshutters

Postby Jeromi on Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:30 pm

Welcome!
Jeromi

Postby starboard on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:43 am

Howdy! Welcome to MARS.
starboard

Postby MadCityReefer on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:53 am

WELCOME TO MARS!!! From the sounds of you purchased all the right stuff and heading in the right direction. How about some pictures!
KEEP ON REEFIN ON!!
tank build: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12927
MadCityReefer

Postby snelson220 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:04 am

I will get the camera out tonight after work and see about getting some pictures of the tank. She is pretty bare right now just a couple fish and a couple corals. My torch beat up my hammer pretty bad but after moving it it is starting to come back some.

I ordered some base rock from reefcleaners the other day so I am waiting for that to come in so I can rescape the tank since I tried something different after setting it back up after the move and just don't feel like I have enough.

I got a bit of diatoms right now too since I added all new sand after my die off but it is getting better. Man why did I move again what a pain in the neck

Thanks for all the welcomes to guys!
snelson220

Postby MadCityReefer on Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:17 am

snelson220 wrote:I will get the camera out tonight after work and see about getting some pictures of the tank. She is pretty bare right now just a couple fish and a couple corals. My torch beat up my hammer pretty bad but after moving it it is starting to come back some.

I ordered some base rock from reefcleaners the other day so I am waiting for that to come in so I can rescape the tank since I tried something different after setting it back up after the move and just don't feel like I have enough.

I got a bit of diatoms right now too since I added all new sand after my die off but it is getting better. Man why did I move again what a pain in the neck

Thanks for all the welcomes to guys!

There are easy ways of moving your tank and livestock. How far did you move from?
KEEP ON REEFIN ON!!
tank build: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12927
MadCityReefer

Postby snelson220 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:53 pm

just a little over an hour but when I put everything in my QT after I got it to the new house it all looked fine and the next day everything was dead so I did something wrong somewhere. Moving in the dead of winter probably didn't help anything.
snelson220

Return to MARS General