Refugium recommendations and/or HELP

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Refugium recommendations and/or HELP

Postby annmarie on Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:08 pm

I am thinking of upgrading from my wet/dry sump to a refugium that will act like my sump and also be an area for growing macro algae, and perhaps a few fish that are not compatible with my tank-mates.

I have a 90g, and I have mild-moderate tempered fish and mainly soft corals. I have about 90lbs of live rock and a coarse sand substrate. I run a protein skimmer. My sump currently is an Eshopps wet-dry, which is just too small. I have bio-balls, a bag of carbon, foam, return pump and filter floss in it.

I have been doing a little research and I have found a few refugiums that appear interesting to me. I am looking for feedback if anyone has used these or if I should be looking in a different direction. I am also wondering how big of a refugium I should have. I see that some are rated for 90g. Should I go larger to increase water volume?

These are a few that I have been looking at:

AQUA-FUGE MP Refugium Medium by CPR Aquatics
http://www.aquacave.com/aqua-fuge-mp-re ... -1412.html

ADHI Refugium 30 Refugium Sump by Aquatic Design Habitats
http://www.aquacave.com/adhi-refugium-3 ... -1049.html

Eshopps Refugium R-100, 75-125g, 2nd Generation
http://www.aquacave.com/eshopps-refugiu ... -3172.html

Thank you,

Ann Marie
Last edited by annmarie on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
annmarie

Re: Refugium recommendations

Postby BIKERRN on Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:32 pm

I made my own sump/fug out of acrylic. Much cheaper to make and you get exactly what you what and need. IMO
BIKERRN

Postby Sula on Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:33 am

I make my own sump/refugium combos out of glass tanks - 20L or 30L. Same basic design as those in your links - first chamber is where the water drains in, hold the protein skimmer - next chamber is a refugium for rock rubble, sand, algae in any combination - third chamber is for the return pump.

Your expenses are a tank (I can usually find a used one for cheap), glass baffles cut to your order at Patriot Glass (formerly Bob Cooper Glass, on E Washington Avenue), and silicone.
When on a journey, it is good to have an end, but in the end it's the journey that counts.
Sula

Postby annmarie on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:52 am

I am unsure of my own construction skills. Would anyone be interested in assisting me or constructing a refugium for me? I would pay for services.
annmarie

Re: Refugium recommendations and/or HELP

Postby Socratic Monologue on Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:52 pm

annmarie wrote:I am thinking of upgrading from my wet/dry sump to a refugium that will act like my sump and also be an area for growing macro algae, and perhaps a few fish that are not compatible with my tank-mates.

Keep in mind that one of the benefits of a refugium is that it provides a place for live food populations ('pods') to breed unhindered by predation. If you put fish of any sort in there, you will largely negate that benefit.

annmarie wrote: I am also wondering how big of a refugium I should have. I see that some are rated for 90g. Should I go larger to increase water volume?

Bigger is better. I have a 40g breeder under my 75g display (had to build a custom stand to fit it), and I wish there had been some easy way to go bigger. I've never heard anyone say "I wish my 'fuge was smaller."

I agree that if there is any way for you to build your own using a glass tank, that is a good way to go. It is not expensive, nor too difficult (designing it is the only challenging part, and there is lots of online support for that) and you get a solid piece of equipment when you are done. Construction techniques are not too important, since there isn't really much water pressure between the baffles you'll be installing; if your seams leak, it really doesn't matter, and it doesn't have to be pretty. Melevsreef.com has a good section on 'fuge design.

Remember that whatever you use for a 'fuge ideally needs to be installed without a tank teardown (is this going in a stand? Will it fit through the door?), but it may be worth a teardown to get a good 'fuge in place.
Socratic Monologue

Postby annmarie on Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:49 pm

I am actually hoping for the non-tank-tear-down approach. The area under the tank would be difficult to fit a new set-up. But my father is a carpenter and I am going to have him create a "cover" to set over the new set up.
annmarie

Postby Socratic Monologue on Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:29 pm

Then, I'd try to work the biggest refugium you would reasonably put in the space alloted for it.

When the idea of a refugium was first worked up, the idea was to try to imitate the natural reef insofar as there is a who-knows-illion gallons of water for every coral on the reef, so the ideal was a 'fuge quite a bit larger than the display itself. I knew someone who had a 58g display with a 125g refugium (and an AquaMedic T5000 Baby skimmer), and it wasn't overkill. Maybe you could find a used 75g (or just buy a new one for cheaper than the acrylic 'fuges you are considering) and silicone a few baffles in.
Socratic Monologue

Postby Falcon57 on Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:14 pm

I started out with a wet/dry filter with the bio balls. I then went with a in tank sump and I liked it for awhile, then decided to go with a filter sock instead. I was wondering if bio balls are still useful? I want to set up my old filter system as a kind of refugium with macro algae in one chamber growing copepods to eventually be transported to the main tank via the return pump. I hope I was clear on my present situation.
Enjoying marine reef keeping without going broke.
http://www.infowars.com/
Falcon57

Postby tickle on Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:58 am

The biggest fuge possible is the best route. If you take a 20l and cut it into 3rds and expect 1/3 of that to be a beneficial refugium youll be disappointed. As said before any fuge helps more than no fuge.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
tickle

Postby MadCityReefer on Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:06 am

The ADHI is a good choice I personal have a Trigger Systems 36" Ruby and it's AWESOME!!! Well constructed, I dig the red acrylic. The first chamber can house a fairly decent size skimmer and there currently on sale at Premium Aquatics.
http://premiumaquatics.com/store/merchant.mvc

KEEP ON REEFIN ON!!
tank build: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12927
MadCityReefer

Postby Socratic Monologue on Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:39 am

FWIW, this is a three year old thread, and the OP hasn't logged in in over six months.
Socratic Monologue

Return to MARS General