issues with tank - help?

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

issues with tank - help?

Postby luxauterna on Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:37 pm

Hey everyone,

I am having some issues recently with the tank. I felt the other night a slight shock while standing in my fish filtration room and put my hand in the large fuge. I was on concrete and therefore was grounded, which is why I think I finally felt something. I normally only have my hands in the DT which is in the next room over on carpet. I removed the oldest equipment I had from the tank, except for the magdrive return pump which I needed to keep the tank running. I'm going to get a multimeter tomorrow and try testing the water one piece of a equipment at a time. I have not felt it the shock at all today, since removing some equipment, but I am worried. Anyway, my questions is.. I saw a video on youtube of a guy testing water with some very typically used aquaria equipment and they all had levels of stray voltage in the water. Will I ever have zero? Is this normal? Should I be worried, etc.? ALSO with the recent move and new setup, things have not been looking good. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in taking a look and see where I am going wrong?

Thanks!

Ryan
luxauterna

Re: issues with tank - help?

Postby drdavis on Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:56 pm

There are inexpensive ground probes that can help to protect you. This stray voltage thing is nothing to play with, you can easily die from electrical shock.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem. ... MgodKDUAVg

Here is a story about some one who got lucky.
http://joejaworski.wordpress.com/2007/0 ... ound-dead/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
drdavis

Re: issues with tank - help?

Postby luxauterna on Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:56 am

Thank you for the link! I will buy one today!
luxauterna

Return to MARS General