Slowing Down of Water Drain Into Filtration Tank

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Slowing Down of Water Drain Into Filtration Tank

Postby Falcon57 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:59 pm

This may seem like a silly question, but I want to slow down the amount of water that drains into my filtration tank underneath the main tank. How can I do this?
Enjoying marine reef keeping without going broke.
http://www.infowars.com/
Falcon57

Re: Slowing Down of Water Drain Into Filtration Tank

Postby starboard on Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:37 pm

Install a ball valve in your drain line.
starboard

Postby Socratic Monologue on Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:35 pm

Uhhh....I think the standard way to slow the flow through the drain is simply to throttle back the return pump flow into the tank (with a ball or gate valve). You can't restrict the drain below the rate at which water is being pumped into the display without overflowing the display.
Socratic Monologue

Postby BraenDead on Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:46 pm

Agree with both posts above. However, I assume you are referring to actually limiting the amount of water, rather than slowing it. Speed is a matter of gravity affecting the water - you can slow it by putting pipes at an angle, adding other friction techniques (curves), etc. However, I suspect you really want to limit the amount of water (or air being sucked in, depending on drain type) going down the drain. You can use a ball valve right at the drain, or put a gate valve for more control. Be careful, if you limit it too much the tank will overflow - I recommend having a backup drain for this purpose, depending on your tank setup.

What are you actually trying to accomplish?

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby sslak on Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:37 pm

Assuming it's draining via gravity - the correct way to reduce the amount of flow into the drain is to reduce the flow on the return pump.

Restricting flow on the drain could lead to a flood, the return pump will fill the tank faster than the overflow can drain. Reducing the rate that the water gets pumped through the return will reduce the rate at which it flows down the drain.

The question is - why would you want to do that?
Steve
sslak

Postby BraenDead on Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:20 pm

sslak - restricting the drain is perfectly fine *if* there is a backup drain. For example, I have 3 drains - 2 that are always in use (and restricted via ball valve and gate valve), and 1 that is unrestricted and only used if the first two are unable to keep up (it sits about an inch higher than the water line, but below the spill-point). I restrict to limit the amount of air that is sucked down the drain - this keeps the system quiet and eliminates bubbles in the sump. I've used this system for years without any problems (there are huge threads on RC talking about this method as well - originating from this: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showt ... id=1310585).

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Return to MARS General